Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: Massive protests in Brazil

Credits

Massive protests in Brazil

Could this mean World Cup 2014 will be disrupted?
    (Reuters) - As many as 200,000 demonstrators marched through the streets of Brazil's biggest cities on Monday in a swelling wave of protest tapping into widespread anger at poor public services, police violence and government corruption.

The marches, organized mostly through snowballing social media campaigns, blocked streets and halted traffic in more than a half-dozen cities, including Sao Paulo, Rio de Janeiro, Belo Horizonte and Brasilia, where demonstrators climbed onto the roof of Brazil's Congress building and then stormed it.

Monday's demonstrations were the latest in a flurry of protests in the past two weeks that have added to growing unease over Brazil's sluggish economy, high inflation and a spurt in violent crime.

While most of the protests unfolded as a festive display of dissent, some demonstrators in Rio threw rocks at police, set fire to a parked car and vandalized the state assembly building. Vandals also destroyed property in the southern city of Porto Alegre.

Around the country, protesters waved Brazilian flags, dancing and chanting slogans such as "The people have awakened" and "Pardon the inconvenience, Brazil is changing."

The epicenter of Monday's march shifted from Sao Paulo, where some 65,000 people took to the streets late in the afternoon, to Rio. There, as protesters gathered throughout the evening, crowds ballooned to 100,000 people, local police said. At least 20,000 more gathered in Belo Horizonte.

The demonstrations are the first time that Brazilians, since a recent decade of steady economic growth, are collectively questioning the status quo.

Credits
    2,466,130,003,239,999,894,719,398,969,643,979,951,637,561,03 2,240,627,990,921,216
    Let them eat cake

Credits
    nah i dont think so, UK had massive disruptions the olympics were held with no problems

Credits
    Quote Originally Posted by Oneshot View Post
    nah i dont think so, UK had massive disruptions the olympics were held with no problems
    This is on another scale though.

Credits
    i monitoring the situation... aint bout to be city of God with me as an extra lol
    Never waste your time trying to explain who you are to people who are committed to misunderstanding you.

Velvet Glove. Iron Fist

mi style still sharp .....u a A-Minor and dem a B-Flat

Credits
    Quote Originally Posted by ladyrastafari View Post
    i monitoring the situation... aint bout to be city of God with me as an extra lol
    they not serious as yet, i feel is more middle class peopple that vex they cannot hire cheap maids anymore

Credits
    The government need to rethink their priorities. The extra spending by the government isn't trickling down and when there is horizontal inequality there is going to be an uprising.
    USLA needs a revolution!

Credits
    Quote Originally Posted by Pepper91 View Post
    The government need to rethink their priorities. The extra spending by the government isn't trickling down and when there is horizontal inequality there is going to be an uprising.
    USLA needs a revolution!
    The turn out in Sao Paulo is massive. Saw a young lady on the news this morning, her request was simple and to the point "I want a proper hospital for God's sake!...not a damn football stadium!"
    Our Queen went to sleep, her people left to weep....in song she lives on.

Long Live the Queen!

Credits
    Quote Originally Posted by Pepper91 View Post
    USLA needs a revolution!
    but wait.. let us look at it, the stadium building etc is development, the bricklayers, and etc are people who are getting hired. when the tourists come restaurants and etc going to be filled, and there is going to be a lasting legacy of infastructure improvements (water, light, better roads).

you cannot get everything at the same time, you build a hospital how long does it take to staff it? construction at least targets the lower skilled people in society who will benefit.

Credits
    Quote Originally Posted by Chinks View Post
    The turn out in Sao Paulo is massive. Saw a young lady on the news this morning, her request was simple and to the point "I want a proper hospital for God's sake!...not a damn football stadium!"
    It's sad when the government will not provide the basic needs of a human being

Credits
    but wait.. let us look at it, the stadium building etc is development, the bricklayers, and etc are people who are getting hired. when the tourists come restaurants and etc going to be filled, and there is going to be a lasting legacy of infastructure improvements (water, light, better roads).

you cannot get everything at the same time, you build a hospital how long does it take to staff it? construction at least targets the lower skilled people in society who will benefit.

Building a hospital and schools will provide work for brick layers, electricians etc. It will also cause long term development because the workforce will be more educated and healthy therefore they can work harder and be more productive.

Building stadiums is a short term solution for the economy. After 2016 tourism is going to go back to it's normal levels and the bricklayers will reduced work. If you look at countries like Portugal and other countries, after hosting these major sporting events they are still paying back for it now.

Credits

From past reports I've seen, the benefit is for a limited time. Once the world cup and or Olympics is over, those stadiums/facilities stay idle.

In recent memory, the only Olympic village I can recall that remains successful is the one in Barcelona. They've converted the area to a tourist spot. Seen it with my own eyes.
    Moqueca likes this.
    Our Queen went to sleep, her people left to weep....in song she lives on.

Long Live the Queen!

Credits
    Quote Originally Posted by Chinks View Post
    From past reports I've seen, the benefit is for a limited time. Once the world cup and or Olympics is over, those stadiums/facilities stay idle.

In recent memory, the only Olympic village I can recall that remains successful is the one in Barcelona. They've converted the area to a tourist spot. Seen it with my own eyes.
    Yeah, but they have made improvements, like we can compare Athens and London, Athens is ghost town, London, the place actually improved, the atheletic village going to be flats, and Stadium is going to be used. And a green area was created from a dump.

I have fatih the Brazillians will follow a similar lead.

Credits
    Yeah, but they have made improvements, like we can compare Athens and London, Athens is ghost town, London, the place actually improved, the atheletic village going to be flats, and Stadium is going to be used. And a green area was created from a dump.

I have fatih the Brazillians will follow a similar lead.
    time will tell!

Credits
    As sad as this may be I rather see protests or some type of rebellion instead of sitting at home and hoping for things to change

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast