Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Mammograms should start at 50 instead of 40

Credits

Mammograms should start at 50 instead of 40

Task force opposes routine mammograms for women age 40-49 - CNN.com

So now the government says that mammograms should happen later in life. How do you women feel about that.

Is this the government health care that we so desperately want?

Credits
    Quote Originally Posted by Yankee Doodle View Post
    Task force opposes routine mammograms for women age 40-49 - CNN.com

So now the government says that mammograms should happen later in life. How do you women feel about that.

Is this the government health care that we so desperately want?
    This don't have shit to do with gub healthcare plan.

Taj
    Credits
    I was gonna make this thread.

per U.S. Preventive Services Task Force:
    - women in 40s should stop the routine annual mammograms
    -no more annual mammograms for even older women who should cut back to 1 scheduled exam every other year
    -recommends against teaching women to do regular formal self-exams
    - mammograms in about 10% of cases produce false positives leading to unnecessary followup tests and unneeded treatment like surgery, radiation and chemo

American Cancer Society and others feel "Tens of thousands of lives are being saved by mammography screening, and these idiots want to do away with it. It's crazy - unethical, really." - Daniel B. Kopans profesor at Harvard Medical School.
    “A sharp knife never proclaims it’s sharpness to the world…but the first to fall against it becomes it’s advocate.”

You can put any face behind a mask but be careful cos someone else might be pretending. You might not be the only one with a secret -- Cassie/Gretel

Credits
    The new guidelines are for the average woman who does not have a history of cancer in her family.
    Those Who Sacrifice Freedom for Security Deserve Neither
    www.cookingwithval.com
    http://www.snackhealthy.com/snackwithval
    @cookingwithval
    @NicaBlack

Taj
    Credits
    Quote Originally Posted by Nica View Post
    The new guidelines are for the average woman who does not have a history of cancer in her family.
    Thats what "average risk means"?

mammography is part of our solution beginning at age 40 for average-risk women,"
    “A sharp knife never proclaims it’s sharpness to the world…but the first to fall against it becomes it’s advocate.”

You can put any face behind a mask but be careful cos someone else might be pretending. You might not be the only one with a secret -- Cassie/Gretel

Credits
    I was wondering...

Breast cancer is very prominent in my family... mammograms are done as soooooon as possible and as regular as possible with us.

Credits
    Quote Originally Posted by Taj View Post
    Thats what "average risk means"?
    yep

other factors such as personal and family medical history may increase risk and then earlier screenings would be recommended.
    www.cookingwithval.com
    @cookingwithval
    @NicaBlack

Credits
    Quote Originally Posted by swallow View Post
    This don't have shit to do with gub healthcare plan.
    So you think. You have to look at things more than just on the surface.

Credits
    yep

other factors such as personal and family medical history may increase risk and then earlier screenings would be recommended.
    But does that mean that this preventative measure should be put off 10 years in a woman's life because of a 10% rate in false positives?

Credits
    Quote Originally Posted by Yankee Doodle View Post
    But does that mean that this preventative measure should be put off 10 years in a woman's life because of a 10% rate in false positives?
    Women should still continue doing self screenings... nobody can stop that. oh and this is from an independent org. NOT the gov't

Using myself as an example.... lastmonth after doing a self screening in the shower I felt a bump and it hurt. I immediately thought cancer. I was scared almost hysterical at one point. I was ready to go to the Dr. to run a gamut of tests. But I stopped and thought for a bit, then I spoke to other people and explained what I was feeling. I read up on symptons etc. Then I looked in the mirror and saw a red spot where I felt the bump then I realized it had to be something different.

lo and behold I got a strain from awkwardly lifting a carton of printer paper. Had I just acted out of my initial fear I would have run to get tests and they might have given me drugs .......just wasting time, money and maybe harming myself.
    www.cookingwithval.com
    @cookingwithval
    @NicaBlack

Credits
    Quote Originally Posted by Richard View Post
    Women who support the current healthcare plan should die now that the government don’t want to spend money on mammograms till yuh 50
    that is not the gov't doing.... the task force brought the findings but that doesn't mean the gov't is going to go ahead with whatever task force says.
    Last edited by Nica; 11-17-2009 at 11:45 AM.
    www.cookingwithval.com
    @cookingwithval
    @NicaBlack

Credits
    Women should still continue doing self screenings... nobody can stop that. oh and this is from an independent org. NOT the gov't

Using myself as an example.... lastmonth after doing a self screening in the shower I felt a bump and it hurt. I immediately thought cancer. I was scared almost hysterical at one point. I was ready to go to the Dr. to run a gamut of tests. But I stopped and thought for a bit, then I spoke to other people and explained what I was feeling. I read up on symptons etc. Then I looked in the mirror and saw a red spot where I felt the bump then I realized it had to be something different.

lo and behold I got a strain from awkwardly lifting a carton of printer paper. Had I just acted out of my initial fear I would have run to get tests and they might have given me drugs .......just wasting time, money and maybe harming myself.
    running out and getting the test would not have been bad.. and I don't think they would have just given you drugs just so either.

Feeling a lump is common and sometimes you can "feel" masses esp around your period etc that you may not feel normally and will go away... exactly why constant self exams are important

Self exams are a must regardless but I think that doing mammograms are still important even before 40... i dunno.. i guess because of my family history and having some who didnt think they needed to do it then finding out they have malignant tumors makes me want people to do mammograms more and earlier...

Credits

U.S. Preventive Services Task Force is a part of the Agency for Healthcare Research Quality which is a part of the US Department of Health and Human Services. It is funded by the US Government although it's members are "independent". So indirectly, it is a part of the government.

Anyways...I understand your point. But in comparison to those it saves...I'm not so sure. Self mammograms may not be enough for some women (my grand aunt for example along with numerous other women).

Credits
    Yawning break wind in post
    We need to Save the Bubbies!

Credits
    I don’t like big bobbie gyal
    lmao WTF u like?? lol.. no fat, no big bobbie (though size doh have nothing to do with cancer)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast