Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast
Like Tree16Likes

Thread: making rent on minimum wage

Credits

making rent on minimum wage

this is the amount of hours in each state a person has to work on minimum wage to be able to afford a market rate 2 bedroom apartment

Making the Rent on Minimum Wage | Smart Charts, What Matters Today | BillMoyers.com

So much reporting about the economy is focused on unemployment numbers, but as writer Nona Willis Aronowitz pointed out on Good yesterday, a much less reported story is the number of people who have jobs but are “barely clinging to a decent lifestyle.” Two recent reports show that while employment numbers may be on the upswing, having a job doesn’t necessarily mean you’re on easy street.

In fact, if you’re working at a low wage job, you’re most assuredly not — and that’s the reality for a significant number of Americans. Consider this statistic from Aronowitz’s post:

“In 2010, one in five American adults worked for poverty-level wages, 4.4 million of whom earned wages at or below the federal minimum.”

The federal minimum wage is $7.25 per hour, but that figure varies depending on where you live. A few weeks ago, the National Low Income Housing Coalition (NLIHC) released their annual housing report documenting the disparity between what minimum wage workers can afford to pay for rent and how much rent costs. While it’s not surprising that these workers have trouble paying their rent, it is shocking to see just how big the gap is in many states. For example, in Hawaii, the most expensive state, a person needs to make $31.68 an hour to afford a two-bedroom apartment. (An apartment is considered affordable if rent and utilities cost under 30 percent of a person’s income.) For someone making minimum wage, that would mean working 175 hours — which isn’t even possible (since there are only 168 hours in a week). The disparity exists for every state and commonwealth with the shortest work week in Puerto Rico, where you would still need to work 55 hours to make the rent.

Since 2008, the affordability of housing has steadily eroded for working households in 24 states. Nearly one in four working households spends more than half its income on housing costs, according to a new report from the Center for Housing Policy.

Click on the map above to see how many hours minimum wage earners would have to work to afford rent on a two-bedroom apartment in all 50 states. Learn more about the report on the NLIHC blog

i found this interesting...wonder if Obama will do something about this while in office...hope he does
    you ALL AGREE with my opinion, which is why NONE of you ever EFFECTIVELY DISPUTE IT

you ONLY have faith in the WOMEN'S ability to ELEVATE which is why you only FOCUS ON WOMEN...you ALL have long given up on Black men

you just don't have the BALLS to OVERTLY AGREE....rather just do it INDIRECTLY

weak men only can deal with weaker women

in the presence of strength you diminish...

Credits
    $7.26 SMH ... even 10 years ago that wasn't acceptable.

The wage needs to go up with the cost of inflation ... you are only looking at rent. Don't forget the cost of healthcare, food, clothing, kid's expenses, electric/water bills etc. People cannot make it on the current state minimum wages.

The reason they haven't raised the minimum wage with inflation is because corporations have exerted more control over the government thus far, and they argue that if they have to pay people more they cannot afford to do business in America and answer to shareholders which is a crock of shit if you look how much the same businesses have to pay employees for the same work in other Western countries and still turn over stupid profits.

Americans have to value unions that protect people's human rights, wage protection, set up grounds for dismissal, enforce suitable working conditions, benefits etc. OR force their government to make much better labour laws across the board and enforce them heavily.

Credits
    Why would anyone form a household with a single minimum-wage income?

Nobody is dumb enough to do that. I hope.
    A.K.K.S. likes this.

Credits
    minimum wage is 8 something..

obama got u biitches on that section 8, u can more than afford ur APT with that minimum wage.

Credits
    Quote Originally Posted by optimizm View Post

A person on Public Assistance receives less than a Full Time minimum wage worker, yet being on P.A. has never ever deter anyone from making babies.

Sometimes, I wonder if you count with your hands.
    Girly boy why do you get such a kick out of dissing women? - Namey Namey

You don't act proper, you just act angry. You act like a angry racist white new york cop.-Namey Namey

Everyone knows MÉCHANT LOUP is a jackass, but a pedophile? - Namey Namey

MÉCHANT LOUP like women? The only thing MÉCHANT LOUP like more than hearing that a blackman was gunned down by cops, is a hairy man ass. - Namey Namey

MÉCHANT LOUP a battyman. - Namey Namey

Credits
    Quote Originally Posted by Insidious View Post

A person on Public Assistance receives less than a Full Time minimum wage worker, yet being on P.A. has never ever deter anyone from making babies.

Sometimes, I wonder if you count with your hands.

Nobody brought public assistance into the equation.

Credits
    Nobody brought public assistance into the equation.

you would agree that a person on P.A. earns far less than a person earning minimum wage, no?

You don't act proper, you just act angry. You act like a angry racist white new york cop.-Namey Namey

MÉCHANT LOUP like women? The only thing MÉCHANT LOUP like more than hearing that a blackman was gunned down by cops, is a hairy man ass. - Namey Namey

Credits

you would agree that a person on P.A. earns far less than a person earning minimum wage, no?
    I'm not familiar with welfare programs, but I heard that in NYC some would rather receive assistance than earn minimum wage.

This isn't common in most places.

Credits

who said anything about FORMING a household...many people are forced into minimum wage jobs due to circumstances...

so based on what you are saying, raising the level of minimum wage shouldn't be considered....because minimum wage only affects high school students that still live with their momma and use it as sneaker money?

kmt at how some people think

edit: do NOT derail my thread with your NYC bullshit....or i will ask Dragon to delete all your posts...REAL FUKKING TALK
    you ALL AGREE with my opinion, which is why NONE of you ever EFFECTIVELY DISPUTE IT

you ONLY have faith in the WOMEN'S ability to ELEVATE which is why you only FOCUS ON WOMEN...you ALL have long given up on Black men

Credits
    ne

Not necessarily. If you consider that depending on your income,and family size, one could be making above min wage and still need P.A.
    One tree makes a thousand match sticks, but one match stick can burn a thousand trees

When you truly are conscious in the knowing of yourself, your divine nature which is God as your Soul, there is no fear whatsoever.

Credits
    Quote Originally Posted by Farinborn View Post
    ne
    Not necessarily. If you consider that depending on your income,and family size, one could be making above min wage and still need P.A.

I hear your notion & theory...

but how does that apply or relate to the argument between Opti' & I?

Credits
    "making the rent on minimum wage"

I was asking why would anyone depend on a single income that's on minimum wage to pay rent.

It's stupid if you ask me.

In fact, it's impossible.

Credits
    I'm not familiar with welfare programs, but I heard that in NYC some would rather receive assistance than earn minimum wage.

This isn't common in most places.
    Those that rather not work for a paycheck.....

Credits
    "making the rent on minimum wage"

I was asking why would anyone depend on a single income that's on minimum wage to pay rent.

It's stupid if you ask me.

In fact, it's impossible.
    lol...because that is reality....

if a housewife, is suddenly widowed, and finds herself going into the workforce to raise her children, it is a huge possibility that she may be making minimum wage.

if a person is downsized from their job, and can't find a job they might end up taking a minimum wage job just to have some sort of income coming in...and have to support a family on that

stupid is you being oblivious to the REALITIES of many people in AMERICA....

Credits

Who is dumb enough to believe that it is always a person's choice to live alone on minimum wage?
    ladyrastafari and Catracha305 like this.

Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast