Thread: Losing Your Temper

Question Losing Your Temper

as you got older has it become easier to control your temper...........I had read somewhere that once you get to that "rell mad" point the primal part of your brain takes over..........all rationalization is out the window once that takes over.........

Hmmmmm...I was really mellow when I was younger now I get accused of being too patient..That's true re biology but the underlying assumption is as you get older you should be able to spot the cues that are likely to make you angry and manage them more effectively..

almost everyone in my family has temper problems

Quote Originally Posted by Picong View Post
    as you got older has it become easier to control your temper...........I had read somewhere that once you get to that "rell mad" point the primal part of your brain takes over..........all rationalization is out the window once that takes over.........
    Hmmm I think I was calmer when I was younger or maybe nothing really happened that got me mad then?

Now I do know when I'm about to get really mad: I feel the blood pounding, my hand kinda starts twitching and at that point I try not to visualize what I would physically want to do to that person. Typically I try to cool off before I discuss the problem.

I had a temper when younger.........when I saw losing my freedom could be a consequence things changed......... became somewhat passive and just try to avoid confrontations on a whole unless unavoidable

:::*** ~~~~00~~~~***::: ~Fleur-De-Lis~'s Avatar ~Fleur-De-Lis~ is offline
    i think my temper is worse now than when i was younger...

i'm working on it though....

My temper is worse now. I was much calmer when I was younger, but I suspect I always had a temper problem but it was suppressed because I wasn´t old enough to cuss people as I do now.

I am aware of the temper problem, and I am working on it.

Recntly started reading this book:

Beating Anger by Mike Fisher.

i have an extremely bad temper but for the most part it's well controlled... I know myself well so i know there are 4 or 5 levels of anger and i am always aware of which level i am at, and which level is the most dangerous.... I spend most of my time laughing and talkin foolishness so i'm usually smiling..

the only time i'll really wild out is if somebody prevents me from leaving a potentially explosive situation or attempts to harm me or a loved one/friend.. only a few people know how i am when i "hulk out"... and it will remain so..

I was definitely much much calmer when i was younger now I lose my temper pretty quickly
    One step at a time

Well I had to go to anger management.. meent know if that was for better or for worse..

The thing was I would wait until ALL my angry moments got too much and I would be blinded with anger and uhm.. yea...

So now I get angry one time and do the do.. instead of waiting for one BIG angry moment.. it saves lives!!!

Circumstances made me what i am
    joie de vivre

carpe diem

I can tell you a story bout my dyck but
    it would be way too long

My temper was to the extreme, My nickname as a child was Temper my grandmother gave me that name that's how bad I was, as a teenager I had anger management classes something I had to take it was not an option it was a must. Today having kids and a wife calm me down a bit, but there is still moments I feel like I'm getting to the breaking point mostly pertaining to the job. my wife came up with this plan years ago that if I think I'm heading in the point of no return direction to call her, but sometimes when you reach the breaking point it's hard to even concentrate it's like all I see is red and everything else is out the window. but for many years calling her when I get upset helped me alot.

Quote Originally Posted by notorious saga View Post
    My temper was to the extreme, My nickname as a child was Temper my grandmother gave me that name that's how bad I was, as a teenager I had anger management classes something I had to take it was not an option it was a must. Today having kids and a wife calm me down a bit, but there is still moments I feel like I'm getting to the breaking point mostly pertaining to the job. my wife came up with this plan years ago that if I think I'm heading in the point of no return direction to call her, but sometimes when you reach the breaking point it's hard to even concentrate it's like all I see is red and everything else is out the window. but for many years calling her when I get upset helped me alot.
    Scene scene. Do you forget things when you get to that high boiling point. I mean small things, like yuh rest down something somewhere, come back and see it move after yuh cool down, and forget is you self move it.???

Quote Originally Posted by Picong View Post
    You are talking about that "fight or flight" instinct in your mind where, once your adrenaline reaches a certain point, you have the potential to go "ape shit". Being a so-called "civilized human" means you are supposed to be able to control raw instinct, and therefore control your behavior. This ability to "have control" is learned and in most cases coincides with one's maturity level, therefore age is supposed to play a factor in one's management of this natural instinct. That isn't always the case though.

Personally I find my temper non-existent. I lack that "give a f(_)ck" element to have a "temper" in most scenarios.
    Last edited by 4 5_H A S K E L L; 11-21-2009 at 02:44 AM.