Thread: Long Vacation time...what do you think?

DSP
    Credits

Long Vacation time...what do you think?

4 weeks or more..

Why Europe's Long Vacations May Make Economic Sense

On March 11 in Switzerland, voters did something rather unusual for Europeans: they turned down two extra weeks of vacation per year. The union-backed proposal -- which would have brought the country in line with Germany's six-week paid break -- was defeated with two-thirds of the population voting no in a national referendum.

Why turn down more time off? The Swiss, it seems, feared that extending their vacations might cost jobs and hold back their economy. As people across the continent cope with painful austerity measures brought on by the debt crisis, holidays are increasingly coming under increasing scrutiny. "We can't have a common currency where some get lots of vacation time and others very little," said German Chancellor Angela Merkel in a barb aimed at sunbathing southern Europeans last spring.

(PHOTOS: Swiss Finish World's Longest Tunnel: What Are the World's Top Tunnels?)

Outside the continent, many have long believed that lengthy European holidays are part of an overindulgent cornucopia of social benefits that's bound to collapse. Last fall, the chairman of the China's sovereign wealth fund, Jin Liqun, tied Europe's economic troubles to its "the sloth-inducing, indolence-inducing labor laws." Earlier this year, Mitt Romney warned that European-style benefits would "poison the very spirit of America." And British-born Harvard historian Niall Ferguson has written that in contrast to Americans' Protestant work ethic, Europeans have an "atheist sloth ethic."

But even if Europe is guilty as charged, what's the real cost of this "sloth ethic"? Is the European insistence on an extended beach holiday -- the European Union actually requires that workers receive at least 20 days of paid leave per year -- dragging the continent into the sea? The short answer, economists say, is no. When it comes to paid time off -- whether it be vacation, family leave or sick days -- the macroeconomic effect is "actually pretty small," according to John Schmitt, a senior economist with the Center for Economic and Policy Research in Washington, D.C. "It's very hard to say that those policies are connected to any kind of a reduction in economic performance."

(MORE: Why the European Union Is Less than Ideal)

Case in point: Greece vs. Germany. Greeks toil for an average of 2,017 hours per year -- more than any other European country -- and take two weeks of vacation per year, according to the Organisation for Economic Co-operation and Development (OECD). Germans, by contrast, work only 1,408 hours per year -- ranking them 24th out of 25 European countries. Yet Greece is an economic basket case with unemployment at over 20%, while Germany is the miracle powerhouse of Europe, humming along with only 6.8% unemployment -- the lowest since reunification.

Part of the reason for this is productivity: Germany is the eighth most productive country in the OECD (as defined by gross domestic product divided by the number of workers), while Greece is the 24th. But taking time off also doesn't make that much of difference in the overall picture. Employees usually end up paying for their time off because employers factor the cost of that lost productivity into a pay package. (That's one reason why Europeans earn less than Americans on average per year, even if the pay per hour is the same.) Then there's the growing body of research showing that time off can actually help workers get more done. A 2009 study in Harvard Business Review, for example, showed that requiring business consultants to take time off every week actually boosted their productivity.

(PHOTOS: Michelle Obama's Spanish Vacation)

In the Netherlands, they've got the work-hard-play-hard balance down to a T. "We don't have long lunches," says Ton Wilthagen, professor of social law and policy at Tilburg University, noting that the Dutch are neck and neck with their famously productive American counterparts. "We get two rolls with cheese and a glass of milk and that's it." In return for their dairy-fueled focus, the Dutch work shorter hours each day, get six-week paid vacation and are even given an 8% holiday bonus, called a vakantiebijslag, by their employers in the spring.

In the U.S., however, it's a different story. The average American worker earns 14 days off per year, but only takes 12 of them, according to a 2011 survey by Expedia. About a quarter of Americans don't have any vacation time at all. "The U.S. is the only [industrialized] country in the world that does not have statutory requirements on employers to provide paid holiday, paid parental leave or paid sick days," says Schmitt. "We are enormous outliers."

(MORE: The Secret to Memorable Vacations: Keep 'Em Short and End 'Em Sweet)

So why can't Americans take a break? Tom Geoghegan, an American labor lawyer and author of the book Were You Born on the Wrong Continent?, says it's not that Americans are work-obsessed or that Europeans are lazy. It's simply that Europeans have "laws that require them to take [holidays]," thanks to their strong trade unions. Geoghegan says American unions aren't as concerned about the issue as their European counterparts are. "I've been pushing for years this idea of a mandatory vacation, for years with the AFL-CIO," he says. "It goes nowhere. They say, Look, we've got to get sick days before we get vacations."

Credits
    Lol @"We get two rolls with cheese and a glass of milk and that's it."

Encouraging sloth? Whatever. Vacay increasing productivity? duh Lol. 6 weeks off, it's a terrible existence driving/getting to and leaving work and not remembering how you got there because it's become so routine, people not spending time with thier fam blah blah ... 1 week off every 2 months would be ideal for me. Not a big talker anyway,at the end of 2 months I can barely open up my mouth to speak to anyone at work, I just make gestures.

Black Madonna
    either vacation or "sickation". but folks need to recharge

Gladiator
    Hmmm I forgot what is the meaning of vacation because am busy on vacations

Credits
    Quote Originally Posted by Gladiator View Post
    Hmmm I forgot what is the meaning of vacation because am busy on vacations
    i find myself needing an extra couple days of rest after my vacation
    BELLY FULL BUT DEM STARVIN'

Gladiator
    Quote Originally Posted by BABYLOC View Post
    i find myself needing an extra couple days of rest after my vacation
    True True..well you have kids so I bet those couple extra days of rest are really not mostly used for rest

Credits
    I get 4 weeks vacay at my job a year. And i can take them any time in any way. I usually do a week here and there or take long weekends. And i still end up with 10 at the end of the yr. An extra 2 weeks on to that would be wonderful!
    ~~When your character is built on spiritual and moral foundations, your contagious way of life will influence millions.~~

Real Eyes
    Realize
    Real Lies

Credits
    Hell yeah!
    Our Queen went to sleep, her people left to weep....in song she lives on.

Long Live the Queen!