Page 6 of 9 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast
Results 76 to 90 of 129
Like Tree51Likes

Thread: Light Girls

  1. #76
    Girl Crush Mrs. Campbell's Avatar Mrs. Campbell is offline
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Here...
    Posts
    28,678
    Credits
    331,752,124
    Quote Originally Posted by LIONESS onda RISE View Post
    man oh man..out of the 9 children my great parents had...4 of them could truly pass for white (blue eyes and all) all moved away upstate at very early ages to PASS..lets just say, I have an auntie and a cousin that came from "family up north" upon birth..lol...genes are a mutha..lol
    That's the thing with passing, it doesn't set you free. Because you are always holding your breath, hoping and praying the wrong shade don't pop your vagina.


    "Luuuucy, you got some splaining to do" - Ricky Ricardo
    Our Queen went to sleep, her people left to weep....in song she lives on.



    Long Live the Queen!

  2. #77
    Registered User LIONESS onda RISE is offline
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    DC
    Posts
    13,113
    Credits
    1,063,470,851
    Quote Originally Posted by Lucianite View Post
    FACT: Educator has previously explained that when he lived in the U.S. most people black and white and other thought of him as Black- based on his phenotype.

    this apparently has traumatized him
    most definetly...its good he went home where he can be WHITE- Indian - black
    BELLY FULL BUT DEM STARVIN'

  3. #78
    Registered User Lucianite is offline
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Somewhere
    Posts
    7,579
    Credits
    82,398,092
    Quote Originally Posted by NikkiGiovanni View Post
    This article conveyed some of my thoughts

    Light Girls, When Documentaries Get It Wrong | Our Legaci
    Quote Originally Posted by Lucianite View Post
    Right on " he who feels knows it"
    And not having seen dark or light girls
    In. General you can tell your struggles but
    It really depends on who you talking to
    So imagine a person with poor eyesight complaining to Stevie wonder about having to wear glasses
    this was my succinct way of saying this *LOL*



    1. The Denial of Light Skin Privilege

    Light Girls perpetuated the stereotype that dark skinned girls are jealous, angry and violent. Rarely was there any nuanced or guided discourse behind light skin privilege. In fact, the topic was carefully avoided. If not for Soledad O’Brien’s brief acknowledgement that her color helped her career, one would think that light skin privilege is a figment of evil dark skinned imagination.

    This is mostly because a discussion surrounding white privilege was painfully absent from most commentary. Light skin privilege exists as a subsidiary of white privilege. This is not a concept made up out of simple jealously. We cannot discuss one without the other. Light skin privilege is when people with skin color closer to what is associated with phenotypically “white features” are granted certain privileges relative to superiority over darker skinned people.

    Consequently, light skinned women get lighter jail sentences, are more likely to get hired for a job, and are even disciplined differently as children. These are just a few examples backed up by data.

    Understand that acknowledging light skin privilege is not about finger pointing. It’s about understanding racial hierarchies determined by structures of white superiority and the role that it plays in Black lives.

    If we deny the existence of light skin privilege, we deny the existence of white privilege.

  4. #79
    Registered User Lucianite is offline
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Somewhere
    Posts
    7,579
    Credits
    82,398,092
    Quote Originally Posted by LIONESS onda RISE View Post
    most definetly...its good he went home where he can be WHITE- Indian - black
    All dat chit hes talking - i would take a bet that he is darker than a lot of us *LOL*

  5. #80
    Registered User TheEducator's Avatar TheEducator is offline
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    The North
    Posts
    3,919
    Credits
    12,206,492
    Quote Originally Posted by Mrs. Campbell View Post
    You mean like how the chick who pic you posted, should identify as white..even though her father is half black and Native American????


    @ your moving target ass....
    Where did I say she should identify as white?

    She looks white and white people in the UK have no problem accepting her as white. That wouldn't fly in the US. And one rule dropers like yourself would call her black and a self hater if she did not identify as black.

  6. #81
    Girl Crush Mrs. Campbell's Avatar Mrs. Campbell is offline
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Here...
    Posts
    28,678
    Credits
    331,752,124
    CORRECTION:


    In the film "Imitation of Life", the character's name is/was Sara Jane.
    Our Queen went to sleep, her people left to weep....in song she lives on.



    Long Live the Queen!

  7. #82
    Girl Crush Mrs. Campbell's Avatar Mrs. Campbell is offline
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Here...
    Posts
    28,678
    Credits
    331,752,124
    Quote Originally Posted by TheEducator View Post
    Where did I say she should identify as white?

    She looks white and white people in the UK have no problem accepting her as white. That wouldn't fly in the US. And one rule dropers like yourself would call her black and a self hater if she did not identify as black.
    I could give a rat's ass how she and or anyone else for that matter identifies. I find it comical the nonsense you use to back up your argument.

    Based on your logic, I find it strange you get angry when people refer to Obama as black. Even by your standards, the rest of the world SEE a black man.
    Our Queen went to sleep, her people left to weep....in song she lives on.



    Long Live the Queen!

  8. #83
    Registered User LIONESS onda RISE is offline
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    DC
    Posts
    13,113
    Credits
    1,063,470,851
    Quote Originally Posted by Mrs. Campbell View Post
    CORRECTION:


    In the film "Imitation of Life", the character's name is/was Sara Jane.
    ...wonders why you type Mary Jane..lol!!...

    I LOVE that movie! if you can sit through the end without a tissue, napkin or corner of your t-shirt for a good snot blow, something wrong with you!... the Original Ms. Jackson and that damn song..and here comes Mary Jane!! "Mamma"!!!!!!! WHOOOOO!!!!!! chills!
    BELLY FULL BUT DEM STARVIN'

  9. #84
    Registered User TheEducator's Avatar TheEducator is offline
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    The North
    Posts
    3,919
    Credits
    12,206,492
    Quote Originally Posted by Mrs. Campbell View Post
    I could give a rat's ass how she and or anyone else for that matter identifies. I find it comical the nonsense you use to back up your argument.

    Based on your logic, I find it strange you get angry when people refer to Obama as black. Even by your standards, the rest of the world SEE a black man.
    Obama calls himself black because of the racist one drop rule. No other reason for a man who was raised by his white mother and her white parents to identify as black. There are several articles out there questioning Obama's race.


    Obama: black in the US, mixed-race in France
    RFI - Obama: black in the US, mixed-race in France
    'Don't forget his white momma': Morgan Freeman says Obama not the first black President | Daily Mail Online
    BBC NEWS | Americas | US Elections 2008 | Viewpoint: Is Barack Obama black?
    PRESIDENT BARACK OBAMA: His Genealogy, Mother, Father, Family Facts
    Is Barack Obama ‘black’? A majority of Americans say no. - The Washington Post
    AP: Many Insisting That Obama Is Not Black

  10. #85
    Earth Angel dollbabi's Avatar dollbabi is offline
    Join Date
    Jan 2000
    Location
    Music City
    Posts
    36,627
    Credits
    74,804,093
    Quote Originally Posted by LIONESS onda RISE View Post
    hon please...the issue is..ive never seen anyone as black as you...VEHEMENTLY deny being black..that is extremely strange to me. I think its you who has the issue..im sure you've spent a great deal of time explaining to people who mistake you for black, and that may have you feeling a way..IDK

    also..i could not care less about "curly hair"...lol.. I remember very vividly when I first came to IMIX..this same conversation and there was a very rude member who called you black but stated you didn't think so because of curly hair...based on the conversation, I decided I agreed with that poster and like to mention it from time to time...lol..that notion/idea so makes me think of LR..and well...

    in any event..anyone looking at you will call you black..and marrying Mexican wont change that fact for your kids.

    AND..i would not be considered a "light girl"..so try again..lol
    Proving my point. It is you who are fixated on skin color and hair. Making up stories to try and hide that issue is not working.

    All of this because I prefer African over black. There are Africans straight from and like a tar who feel the same. So spare me the pretentiousness. "Explaining to people who mistake me for black?" What in the world? Again, sounds like your own personal issues coming in to this.

    Since when did I marry a Mexican? WTH? :

    Like I said, some light girls like you seem to have such issues anyway.

    Craziness...lol.

  11. #86
    Registered User Lucianite is offline
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Somewhere
    Posts
    7,579
    Credits
    82,398,092
    Race is a social construct

    Obama is "mixed" race like you - talk to him and your peoples and tell them to stop identifying as black.



    What must "black" people do ?

  12. #87
    Earth Angel dollbabi's Avatar dollbabi is offline
    Join Date
    Jan 2000
    Location
    Music City
    Posts
    36,627
    Credits
    74,804,093
    Quote Originally Posted by LIONESS onda RISE View Post
    man oh man..out of the 9 children my great parents had...4 of them could truly pass for white (blue eyes and all) all moved away upstate at very early ages to PASS..lets just say, I have an auntie and a cousin that came from "family up north" upon birth..lol...genes are a mutha..lol
    That's your issue...everybody isn't your family, trying to deny their African heritage or as you refer to it "black" heritage.

  13. #88
    Registered User LIONESS onda RISE is offline
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    DC
    Posts
    13,113
    Credits
    1,063,470,851
    Quote Originally Posted by dollbabi View Post
    Proving my point. It is you who are fixated on skin color and hair. Making up stories to try and hide that issue is not working.

    All of this because I prefer African over black. "Explaining to people who mistake me for black?" What in the world? Again, sounds like your own personal issues coming in to this.

    Since when did I marry a Mexican? WTH? :

    Like I said, some light girls like you seem to have such isues anyway.

    Craziness...lol.
    Make up stories?I'm a lot of things, BUT not that poster..lol! And I'm not "light" I'm black!
    BELLY FULL BUT DEM STARVIN'

  14. #89
    Girl Crush Mrs. Campbell's Avatar Mrs. Campbell is offline
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Here...
    Posts
    28,678
    Credits
    331,752,124
    Quote Originally Posted by LIONESS onda RISE View Post
    ...wonders why you type Mary Jane..lol!!...

    I LOVE that movie! if you can sit through the end without a tissue, napkin or corner of your t-shirt for a good snot blow, something wrong with you!... the Original Ms. Jackson and that damn song..and here comes Mary Jane!! "Mamma"!!!!!!! WHOOOOO!!!!!! chills!
    The last time we watched (family), there wasn't a dry eye in the house. Everybody was trying to hide they "ugly" cry. We all happen to look up at each other, and busted out laughing.

    Side note

    The other dynamic I focused on was the relationship between Annie and Ms. Laura. It felt weird, because I think she loved Annie, but did not know her.
    Our Queen went to sleep, her people left to weep....in song she lives on.



    Long Live the Queen!

  15. #90
    Registered User TheEducator's Avatar TheEducator is offline
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    The North
    Posts
    3,919
    Credits
    12,206,492
    Quote Originally Posted by Lucianite View Post
    Race is a social construct

    Obama is "mixed" race like you - talk to him and your peoples and tell them to stop identifying as black.



    What must "black" people do ?

Page 6 of 9 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •