Thread: LABOR DAY

Credits

LABOR DAY

Well I think most will agree that despite the slow quiet build up to labor day, it actually turned out to be real good. I can't speak for everyone, but from J'ouvert to de parkway was sweet, sweet, sweet!!!!

I only have one problem with labor day, and for the serious carnival goers out there, allyuh would agree with this one. This is something the carnival committee in NYC needs to address. I'm talking about the mas bands one the parkway. I strongly feel that because of the limited time we do have on the road, they should put all the mas bands at the front of the parade. The reason I say that is because for the amount of bands it had on the road, not everybody had the opportunity to even make it to the judging point to be judged. I think it's unfair bacause they paid their money, they worked the long hours making mas, and to come down to the day they worked so hard for and not get a chance to even contend for band of the year is sad.

The reason I say they need to be up front is cause the bands that come down with no mas are just there to jump, have nothing to do with the competition, so why should they cross the stage before real mas come across? I don't mind a band on the road with no mas, if that's what they want to do then put them in the back, let them come down the road last, but there's no excuse for mas bands not to be judged.

Another thing they need to work on is the flow of the parade. I was standing between Utica & Rochester at one point. The first big Haitian band to hit the parkway was coming up right, they stopped at that spot for at least 30 to 40 minutes while the rest of the parade went way down the road. They should never let that happen at all, at all, at all!!! What made it worse is there were still about 15 or more bands behind them, which were at a stand still because of them, one of which was Oasis, which had some of the prettiest mas on the road period...I doubt they even got close to the judging point. I don't care if yuh have yuh fun and ting, that's great, but don't hold up the parade like that. some masquaraders were so vex they just threw their costumes on the truck and went home, and that ain't right at all.

Credits

RE: LABOR DAY

[font size="1" color="#FF0000"]LAST EDITED ON Sep-05-01 AT 12:13 PM (EST)[/font][p]Socaboy,

I agree with you 150 percent. I played with Sesame and thank God they had the foresight to get on the Parkway early...but if I was with a band that never even smelled the stage I would be mad as hell x(. And yes...non mas bands should be in the back of the parade. Maybe we need to start a suggestion list and send it to the Carnival committee!

All in all I had a great time playing. The weekend was a really good one except for the Sesame fete which finished early because folks dont know how to act x(. Lawd...the jam was just about to get real sweet when the cut we off..Oh well....If you come to fete to fight take it outside..let the rest of we enjoy we party!

Was it only me or did anyone else feel like cattle being herded around by the Police! We tried to walk back up the parkway after they cut we music off by the library and we couldn't even get through. I think it is absolutely ridiculous that we are treated this way at our own festival! You know no other group of people would tolerate this kind of treatment. The cops actually made it a worst situation because no one knew there would be barricades when you tried to walk back and therefore the crowd kept surging forward! People could have been killed!

You know I think I will write a letter to the committee!

Anyway..Socaboy...I think I saw you at the Sesame fete.

trinitat

i agree with you both - as a female member of the sesame security, we catch we tail trying to keep the crowds out of the band! i actually got into a fight with a man 'cause he didn't know how to act and kept trying to push his way through us to get in the band x(
    unfortunately, there is an overall lack of respect for mas bands and their masqueraders by alot of the people on the parkway so that is why the mas bands should go before any of the music trucks, t-shirts bands or politicians! there was a point where we had to ask xtatik to stop playing music because a group of guys were blocking the band and refused to move, even after the cops told them to move! that attitude is what made jouvert and the parkway not as much fun as years past, there are too many people who don't understand what this is all about and they are messing up everbody else's vibes. i for one will not go to jouvert outseide of trini anymore because ny is a waste of time and i have heard too many other people say the same thing.

Credits

I second that it was like a real riot on sunday I was stuck in the car in flatbush and every few seconds you saw a bunch of officers chasing people down the streets for god knows what but me just sitting back and watching that made me not want to go to jouvert which I didn't....and as far as the pakway goes the only way it seems to have fun is to be on a truck or be a masquerader because at times that seemed to be the only safe way to be on the road but then there were people that didn't even respect that fact in a few years they aint going to be no mass and if there is any people will be at home watching it on TV

SEXY G.T. QUEEN

Credits

Ivy...you saw me at Sesame fete and didn't say anything? Or you think you saw me but you weren't sure? Who was the fella you thought was me?

Credits

Well I defintely saw de Puncheon Posse and I was reading allyuh shirts. I saw one with Socaboy so I assumed that was you.

Credits

RE: PICTURES FROM LABOR DAY 2001

Credits

jouvert was actually nice i had lots of fun jump up wit the grendian jab band ........and funny enuff there was no fights atleast not where i was, it was really fun.

live one day at a time its the only way to get through this madness they call life.