Thread: Kobe Bryant Arrested

Dragon

Kobe Bryant Arrested

Monday, July 07, 2003

DENVER Los Angeles Lakers guard Kobe Bryant was arrested on one felony count of sexual assault , the Eagle County sheriff's office said Sunday.

The 24-year-old NBA All-Star turned himself in to authorities Friday and was released the same day after posting a $25,000 bond. Bryant, one of the NBA's brightest and most respected stars, was not charged Sunday.

The sheriff's office said an arrest warrant was issued after the District Attorney's office concluded it had enough evidence for the felony sexual assault count.

A woman reported the alleged sexual misconduct July 1, the sheriff's office said. The incident happened the night before in a hotel in the Edwards area of Eagle County, near Vail, police said.

After a series of interviews and a review of the physical evidence, investigators met with representatives for District Attorney Mark Hurlbert where the decision to arrest the basketball star was made, the sheriff's office said in a statement.

Hurlbert said Sunday he hasn't decided whether to file charges and has not yet seen the arrest report. He said the sheriff's office asked a judge for an arrest warrant instead of following the usual practice of requesting one through his office.

"During the investigation, Bryant was cooperative with investigators and remains cooperative with authorities," the sheriff's office said.

Judge Russell Granger ordered the case sealed.

"Kobe is innocent," Bryant's Denver-based lawyer, Pamela Mackey, told the Los Angeles Times in Monday's editions. "Can you imagine being accused of this? It's awful."

Attempts to reach Bryant for comment were not immediately successful.

"These allegations are completely out of character of the Kobe Bryant we know," Lakers (search) general manager Mitch Kupchak said in a statement. "For the seven years he's been with us, he has been one of the finest young men we've known and a wonderful asset to both our team and our community.

"However, since this is a legal matter being handled by the authorities in Colorado, we must refrain from further comment at this time."

NBA spokesman Tim Frank said the league had no immediate comment.

Bryant was the NBA's second-leading scorer last season, averaging a career-best 30 points a game. He scored 40 or more points in nine straight games in February and also had career-high averages of 6.9 rebounds and 5.9 assists while playing in each of the Lakers' 82 games.

The Lakers were eliminated from the Western Conference semifinals by the San Antonio Spurs, ending Los Angeles' run of three straight NBA championships.

Bryant underwent shoulder surgery on June 12 in New York. The Lakers expect he'll be ready by the start of training camp in October.

Bryant married Vanessa Laine in April 2001. Bryant and his parents recently mended a rift that developed when he became engaged to Laine when she was an 18-year-old high school student.

Vanessa, gave birth to their first child, Natalia Diamante Bryant, in January.

The Associated Press contributed to this report.

Credits
    Ok hold now...if he is innocent why was he so quick to turn himself in? And wha de ass he doin sexually assaulting a nex woman when his punk ass is married with child? Cha (can you tell I'm not a Kobe fan?)

Credits
    how u could be innocent buh turn yuh self in...dais wha i want to know.

Credits
    Originally posted by bagolicious
    how u could be innocent buh turn yuh self in...dais wha i want to know.

ent ...when u find out tell me.

Credits
    Originally posted by wtꧧ
    ent ...when u find out tell me.
    sure will, cause i lost to rass..

STICKMAN
    When the law wants you, whether or not you did anything, you have to turn yourself in or you will be a fugitive from justice....
    If you do that, whether or not they find you guilty you will face evading arrest charges.... Turning yourself in does not mean you did it, it is something you have to do if the police is charging you of something. Its either that or have them come and get you which will pretty much make the public believe you are guilty.

Credits
    GUILTY AS CHARGED... LOCK HIM UP AND THOW AWAY DE KEY!

if yuh home wid u wife... u name can't be called in dem tings... GUILTY GUILTY GUILTY

Credits
    I not buying it.

Credits
    Shaq would never get caught...This only proves that Kobe will always be second class to him...