Credits

RE: Big Up Back 2 Basics for rocking the west coas

Dragon

The joys of peepin'

http://www.thevoxmagazine.com/vox_archives/2001-12-30/p11.jpg

By Nigel Telesford

“I tell them to Point A Maco, that wasn't enough, so I come with Peepin!”
    —”Peepin”: Super P

Hyper-curiosity is a common Trinidadian affliction. Perhaps that’s why we can all relate to “Peepin”, the smash hit from the latest Grenadian sensation, Super P.

Foster Straker grew up near the sea in Grenada with his mother, Marie. A very talkative boy, he soon earned the nickname “parrot” from his neighbours and friends.

“Why Super P? Well, the P is for parrot,” laughed Straker. “When I was young I used to talk plenty and when fish come in—well, everyone would be on-shore waiting for the boats to come in and I would always be there, talking away the most, until one day somebody started calling me parrot...”

Straker is a music lover. His personal favourite genres are blues-rock, reggae and alternative music. He is not a “party-man” and doesn’t frequent the clubs in Brooklyn, New York, where he resides and operates his own electronics store. Initially, he tried his hand at reggae/dancehall music, with little or no success. See, Straker doesn’t believe in “just singing words without any meaning”. He’s a businessman and a family-man, so when it comes to his music he’s also a conscious man.

“I mean no disrespect to anyone,” Straker explained. “I realise that everyone has to eat a food, but we have to be careful what we put out there. Music is a powerful thing. Yes, it can be entertaining, but I don’t support all them gangster lyrics and slackness tune at all. How you go feed the people them with negativity? Even if it’s real—even though it’s your reality, if it’s unpleasant and makes you unhappy, how yuh go spread it to everyone else? —especially people who suffering too and may not know any better...”

Straker doesn’t believe in wasting opportunities. Having planned to visit his homeland for Grenada Carnival this year, he decided to try his hand at soca in order to make a little more spending money. He paid for his own studio time and recorded a 10-track CD before leaving New York. He released “Point A Maco” and it blew up in Grenada, inspiring his current single, “Peepin”—which is taking the world by the ears—or should I say, the eyes.

“It’s really a very simple song,” said Straker. “Our people, Caribbean people are just naturally very macocious. We like to be involved in everything; to know everything that’s going on. In Grenada, the person is the maco and the act is called peepin. It’s a very common expression and the song just come to me. I don’t sit down and write song, I just listen the beat and sometimes I get 6/7 ideas for songs on one beat. Then I choose one and just go in the booth and record that.”

Well this is me, Super P

Straker’s personality is effervescent with honesty and humility. The interview quickly shifted to more worldly topics and as his nickname suggests, he had definite views on everything.

“I’m a God-fearing man, a hard-working man,” Straker declared. “I’m an Anglican—allyuh have Anglican church here right? I grew up in the church, I was an acolyte...”

He laughs as he illustrates (with sound effects) sharing incense from a chalice.

“Is only when yuh turn ah big man,” he continued, “yuh realise what yuh parents was trying tuh teach yuh all the time. Even though I never know my father, I grew up with certain things instilled—yes, I used to rebel and fight against them teachings too—but, I still have them inside and now I realise why mama used tuh say doh do this and stay away from that. There’s a right way and a wrong way and parents is the key, in the beginning, to guiding children and bringing them up right, so when they grow up they could live right.”

So far, Super P has performed at Sleepwalkers Pyjama Party on Christmas night and The Soca Storm Launch at Skinner Park in San Fernando. He is pleased with his reception and is thankful for all the love and support he is receiving from Trinidad and Tobago.

“Is real good vibes man,” he stated enthusiastically. “Heavy radio play, people like the song. I went down Skinner Park and a man come and tell me he have the dance for the song. He’s an artiste himself too, say he more into rap and them thing, but he impress me with how he portray it, yuh know. So I take him on stage with me to show the people the dance and they loved it. We real mash up down there!”

Throughout the interview, Straker repeatedly asked our hosts at Noise Productions for a telephone to call his mother in Grenada. He hadn’t spoken to her since Christmas Day when he told her he was coming to Trinidad and he felt bad about not letting her know he had arrived safely and done well at his first two shows. It’s the kind of considerate thoughts a real man has—and is not ashamed to share. Like the positive contributions, Straker feels he must make to society:

“In the Caribbean, we live pretty simple lives, but too often I meet people who are dissatisfied with theirs and don’t know what to do about it. Once you have an education, or you can access information, you can work something out for yourself—you can do what you want to do. Too many people expect handouts, they sit back and wait for a job to show up on their doorstep or they go on the corner and lime and dream about having money. If you have the capacity, you can learn a trade, a craft, something, anything you can enjoy and you’re good at. And with a little business sense you can turn it into your livelihood. It doesn’t matter what you do really cause every craft, trade or occupation deserves respect, but what matters is how you do it. When you get up on mornings to go to work, you should feel good about it—you should be happy to go out and earn your living.”

Straker left Grenada and moved to New York at 22. He worked in a bakery for about a year and then decided he’d had enough of it. He left and started doing electronic repairs at home before opening his own store. His attitude betrays his ultimate belief that anything is possible: anything a man can perceive, he can achieve. And peepin around a bit doesn’t hurt either.

Peepin'

Aye yo! well this is me, Super P. Hello!

Ah tell them to Point A Maco, that wasn't enough, so I come with Peepin. (Awww!)
    Help meh mother, help meh brother, help meh sister, help meh neighbour with Peepin
    All them man who peepin (laugh)
    Aye yo!

Glasses go sell in Grenada. (yuh know why?)
    Everybody want to see much better.
    Glasses go sell in Grenada.
    Everybody want to see their neighbour.

Everybody Peepin. Everybody Peepin.

Aye yo, listen:
    At nights when you think they're sleepin, they hiding behind window curtain, peepin
    Everybody Peepin.
    Doh try to hide in yuh veranda, they passin with helicopter, peepin
    Everybody Peepin. (aye yo)

Everybody Peepin.

Even in the sea you bathin, they passin with submarine, they peepin
    Everybody Peepin.

Aye yo!

Spy glass go sell in Grenada. (yuh know why?)
    Everybody want to spy one another.
    Spy glass go sell in Grenada.
    Everybody want to spy they neighbour.
    Everybody Peepin. Aye yo! Everybody Peepin.

Doh take no chance with yuh bus driver, he eyes in the rearview mirror, peepin.
    Everybody Peepin.

The pastor on the pulpit preachin, he buss a hole in the bible and he just there, peepin
    Everybody Peepin. Aye yo!

Everybody Peepin. Everybody Peepin.

Again!

At nights when you think they're sleepin, they hiding behind window curtain, peepin
    Everybody Peepin.
    Doh try to hide in yuh veranda, they passin with helicopter, peepin
    Everybody Peepin. (aye yo)

Even in the sea you bathin, they passin with diving glass, they peepin
    Everybody Peepin.

Them professionals in Victoria yuh know. Victoria on the wharf. Them guys could see yuh 'round ah corner.
    Everybody peepin. Aye yo!

Watch yuh doctor yuh know. Yuh goin for a simple cold and he want to do a complete examination.
    Everybody peepin. Aye yo!

Help meh mother, help meh brother, help meh sister, help meh neighbour from Peepin
    All them man who peepin...

I always feel like, somebody's watching me
    and I have no privacy, Oh God!

Glasses go sell in Grenada. (yuh know why?)
    Everybody want to see much better.
    Glasses go sell in Grenada.
    Everybody want to see their neighbour.

Everybody peepin. Everybody peepin.

Even the undertaker complaining man, even the vendor people, oh God!
    Yuh can't even trust yuh co-worker on the job.
    When yuh think they watching the computer.
    They want tuh see what food yuh bring for dinner.

Everybody peepin. Aye yo! Everybody peepin.