Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree5Likes

Thread: John McCain skipped briefing on Benghazi to hold press conference complaining...

Credits

John McCain skipped briefing on Benghazi to hold press conference complaining...

John McCain skipped briefing on Benghazi to hold press conference complaining about lack of info

What an idiot.

(CBS NEWS) -- While Sen. John McCain, R-Ariz., was leading a press conference Wednesday to condemn the administration's lack of transparency regarding the attacks in Benghazi, Libya, it turns out he could have been attending a classified briefing on the subject.

Due to what his office called a "scheduling error," McCain accompanied Sens. Lindsey Graham, R-S.C., and Kelly Ayotte, R-N.H., at 11:30 a.m., Wednesday to demand before reporters a select committee of Congress to investigate the violence in Libya, rather than attend the scheduled 11 a.m. closed-door briefing for members of the Senate Homeland Security and Governmental Affairs Committee. At his press conference, McCain continued to rail on the president and his administration - including U.S. Ambassador to the U.N. Susan Rice - for botched handling of information in the aftermath of the attack.

Sen. Susan Collins, R-Maine, the ranking Republican on the committee, reneged slightly from a report today that she was critical of McCain for missing the meeting, but maintained it's important he's fully briefed on intelligence, and disagreed with his call for a select committee.

"All I was trying to point out is that he's a very valuable member of our committee," she told CBS News. "He would be involved in all the briefings and the hearings and the investigation, and thus I don't think that it's necessary to create a whole new separate committee."

McCain told CBS News he hadn't yet viewed the thousands of pages of classified emails, telegrams, and intelligence reports that the State Department made available to the committee. As a member, he can access the documents by visiting a secure room on the Hill. Collins hasn't requested that viewing either but attended the briefing and viewed whatever documents were presented there.

When asked Thursday about the briefing, McCain reportedly grew angry and told a CNN producer, "I have no comment about my schedule, and I'm not going to comment on how I spend my time to the media." Pressed on why he wouldn't comment, McCain said, "I have the right as a senator to have no comment. And who the hell are you to tell me I can or not?"

Meanwhile, Sen. Rand Paul, R-Ky., another member of the Homeland Security committee, also missed the briefing, but did an interview on CNN the same day attacking Mr. Obama for his handling of the Benghazi attack, and, at one point, admitting, "I don't know enough of the details."

John McCain misses Benghazi, Libya briefing while criticizing lack of info | wtsp.com
    Those Who Sacrifice Freedom for Security Deserve Neither
    www.cookingwithval.com
    http://www.snackhealthy.com/snackwithval
    @cookingwithval
    @NicaBlack

Credits
    hear this on the news yesterday... he just bitter about losing to president in the 2008 election... so he picking at every little thing...
    Only shades of colour that are seen on IMIX, BLACK, WHITE & GREY. The beauty of all things are transform into those colours... Winter very LONG, spring, summer fall very SHORT.

Credits
    Briefing on what? Did they learn anything?

Credits
    Quote Originally Posted by Buhbayduss View Post
    hear this on the news yesterday... he just bitter about losing to president in the 2008 election... so he picking at every little thing...
    was coming to say he's a being a grumpy old man.

Credits
    Quote Originally Posted by Steupz View Post
    Briefing on what? Did they learn anything?
    Since it was classified, how would I know.

But McCain would know if he had attended like he should have, instead he calls press conference to complain about not getting info while the meeting disseminating said information is going on. Then he want to get mad when reporters ask him why he's not at the meeting.

Such an ass
    mz_JazE likes this.
    www.cookingwithval.com
    @cookingwithval
    @NicaBlack

Credits
    Quote Originally Posted by Nica View Post
    Since it was classified, how would I know.

But McCain would know if he had attended like he should have, instead he calls press conference to complain about not getting info while the meeting disseminating said information is going on. Then he want to get mad when reporters ask him why he's not at the meeting.

Such an ass
    All this is, is an opportunity for Democrats to say 'Look here, see what he did".
    There is no way that briefing yielded anything of import or it would have been leaked. It's just posturing by a Party and its supporters who seem strangely forgetful that they won the Election.
    Obama should be doing what he needs to.

And McCain will do what he needs to. When you consider all the info that came out post Election:
    Drone being attacked by Iran
    Delaying of food stamp numbers which showed a record increase.
    Petraeus' resignation.

... and more. They are hardly going to trust Obama's word on Benghazi

Credits
    All this is, is an opportunity for Democrats to say 'Look here, see what he did".
    There is no way that briefing yielded anything of import or it would have been leaked. It's just posturing by a Party and its supporters who seem strangely forgetful that they won the Election.

And McCain will do what he needs to. When you consider all the info that came out post Election:
    Drone being attacked by Iran
    Delaying of food stamp numbers which showed a record increase.
    Petraeus' resignation.

... and more. They are hardly going to trust Obama's word on Benghazi
    You seriously are talking a whole lot of nonsense. If all this was just an opportunity for dems to say "look what he did" then McCain must be in bed with them. I am sure the dems didn't send him out there to make a fool of himself.

Also if he didn't think the 3 hour long meeting was going to yield anything of significance then his spokesperson would not have attributed his absence from the meeting to a scheduling error.

Winning an election is not the be all end all. There is work to do and the republicans like McCain, are not doing their job. As a senior senator he should have been in the meeting, not out cavorting with the press then getting mad when said press asks him questions. All these people are interested in, is attempting to make the president look bad and that it OBVIOUS. They're are not interested in making any contribution in getting the country back together.

Nothing further to say to you on this.

Bye
    limintrinibwoy and mz_JazE like this.
    www.cookingwithval.com
    @cookingwithval
    @NicaBlack

Credits
    Quote Originally Posted by Nica View Post
    You seriously are talking a whole lot of nonsense. If all this was just an opportunity for dems to say "look what he did" then McCain must be in bed with them. I am sure the dems didn't send him out there to make a fool of himself.

Also if he didn't think the 3 hour long meeting was going to yield anything of significance then his spokesperson would not have attributed his absence from the meeting to a scheduling error.

Winning an election is not the be all end all. There is work to do and the republicans like McCain, are not doing their job. As a senior senator he should have been in the meeting, not out cavorting with the press then getting mad when said press asks him questions. All these people are interested in, is attempting to make the president look bad and that it OBVIOUS. They're are not interested in making any contribution in getting the country back together.

Nothing further to say to you on this.

Bye
    There isn't anything you can add but he should have been there.
    McCain doesn't want a briefing, he wants the truth from Pre. Obama, Rice, Clinton and Petraeus.

Three things though, McCain did not make a fool of himself and secondly, how do you know it wasn't a scheduling error?
    And why should they make Obama look good? He had 4 years to do that himself... and 4 more years. It's not the Republican's job to make Obama look good.

That's the economy's job.

Credits
    There isn't anything you can add but he should have been there.
    McCain doesn't want a briefing, he wants the truth from Pre. Obama, Rice, Clinton and Petraeus.

Three things though, McCain did not make a fool of himself and secondly, how do you know it wasn't a scheduling error?
    And why should they make Obama look good? He had 4 years to do that himself... and 4 more years. It's not the Republican's job to make Obama look good.

That's the economy's job.
    He got the truth....problem is he doesnt want to accept it....Hes hell bent on hoping for it to be a huge aha i got u moment....but..its not gonna happen...poor republicans grasping at straws

Credits
    Quote Originally Posted by limintrinibwoy View Post
    He got the truth....problem is he doesnt want to accept it....Hes hell bent on hoping for it to be a huge aha i got u moment....but..its not gonna happen...poor republicans grasping at straws
    That might well be true.
    Surprising though that you think it's about Obama and not the men who were killed. Perhaps you're projecting your own interests and bias.
    One of the marines' father is also calling on Obama to be honest. Is he worried about the Republican party or looking for a 'gotcha' moment?

Not everything is about Obama and Elections you know.

Credits
    That might well be true.
    Surprising though that you think it's about Obama and not the men who were killed. Perhaps you're projecting your own interests and bias.
    One of the marines' father is also calling on Obama to be honest. Is he worried about the Republican party or looking for a 'gotcha' moment?

Not everything is about Obama and Elections you know.
    But you're the one who brought up the election, and how the party seemed to forget that they won it.
    It's just posturing by a Party and its supporters who seem strangely forgetful that they won the Election.

Credits
    Quote Originally Posted by mz_JazE View Post
    But you're the one who brought up the election, and how the party seemed to forget that they won it.
    Yes?

Credits
    Yes?
    I was just stating that you brought it up, then you turn around and say it's not about Obama and the elections.

Credits
    Quote Originally Posted by mz_JazE View Post
    I was just stating that you brought it up, then you turn around and say it's not about Obama and the elections.
    Well I brought it up because it's what I have observed and read. Take that thread earlier about Republicans being stupid or something.

I am not projecting.

Credits
    IT ALL MAKES SENSE NOW

Senator seeks Relevance

Just four years ago, John McCain was the leader of the GOP. Today, he's the highest-ranking Republican on the Senate Armed Services Committee, a perch from which the former fighter pilot is deeply engaged in the national conversation over war, terrorism and intelligence gathering.

But in January, the Arizona senator will lose his top-ranking committee seat due to term limits. The only ranking Republican spot available to him next session will be on the Indian Affairs Committee.

Unless, that is, the Senate creates a brand-new select committee. On Wednesday, McCain, flanked by Sens. Lindsey Graham (R-S.C.) and Kelly Ayotte (R-N.H.), proposed just that: a select committee with extensive authority to investigate the Benghazi, Libya, attack and the U.S. government's response.

The Republican most likely to hold the ranking spot on such a panel would be, of course, John McCain, giving the Arizona senator a new burst of relevance.

McCain, who lost the 2008 presidential race to Barack Obama, undermined his effort to create the select committee on the same day he proposed it, when he skipped a private congressional briefing on Benghazi and instead held a press event to complain about not getting briefed enough on Benghazi -- and then became aggressive with a reporter who questioned him about it.

McCain is behind Sen. Tom Coburn (R-Okla.) in the line for the top Republican slot on the Senate Homeland Security Committee and does not sit on the Senate Foreign Relations Committee.

Read More....
    Nica and mz_JazE like this.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast