Thread: Jet Fakes Emergency for Gambia Soccer Game

Credits

Talking Jet Fakes Emergency for Gambia Soccer Game

Jet Fakes Emergency for Gambia Soccer Game

Wed Sep 21, 7:13 PM ET

LIMA, Peru - Pilots of a chartered jet carrying 289 Gambian soccer fans faked the need for an emergency landing in Peru so passengers could watch their nation's team play a key match, officials said Wednesday.

The plane, claiming to be low on fuel, landed Tuesday in Peru's northern coast city of Piura, where Gambia played Qatar in the FIFA Under-17 World Championships later that night.

Emergency crews were scrambled ahead of the Lockhead L1011 Tri-Star's unscheduled landing. It was to have landed in the capital, Lima.

The fans were allowed to watch the soccer game in Piura, which Gambia won 3-1. The fans apparently would have been late or missed the game if the flight had first gone to its scheduled destination of Lima, 550 miles to the south.

"It truly was a scam," said Betty Maldonado, a spokeswoman for Peru's aviation authority, CORPAC. "They tricked the control tower, saying they were low on fuel."

Maldonado said the plane, owned by Air Rum, flew directly to Piura, entering Peruvian airspace "without permission," instead of approaching Lima. She said the flight was chartered by Gambian President Yahya Jammeh.

The plane, passengers and crew remained in Piura on Wednesday while authorities determined what penalty, if any, to levy against the airline.

Gambian newspaper Daily Observer reported on its Web page Wednesday that the fans had been delayed for a week in a hotel in the small West African nation, making them late for the game in Peru.

Piura city spokesman Carlos Ordonez said the Gambians' presence caused a "sensation" in the city, which rolled out the red carpet for the African guests, offering performances by local folk singers and dancers.

Credits
    Quote Originally Posted by currygyal
    Jet Fakes Emergency for Gambia Soccer Game

Wed Sep 21, 7:13 PM ET

LIMA, Peru - Pilots of a chartered jet carrying 289 Gambian soccer fans faked the need for an emergency landing in Peru so passengers could watch their nation's team play a key match, officials said Wednesday.

The plane, claiming to be low on fuel, landed Tuesday in Peru's northern coast city of Piura, where Gambia played Qatar in the FIFA Under-17 World Championships later that night.

Emergency crews were scrambled ahead of the Lockhead L1011 Tri-Star's unscheduled landing. It was to have landed in the capital, Lima.

The fans were allowed to watch the soccer game in Piura, which Gambia won 3-1. The fans apparently would have been late or missed the game if the flight had first gone to its scheduled destination of Lima, 550 miles to the south.

"It truly was a scam," said Betty Maldonado, a spokeswoman for Peru's aviation authority, CORPAC. "They tricked the control tower, saying they were low on fuel."

Maldonado said the plane, owned by Air Rum, flew directly to Piura, entering Peruvian airspace "without permission," instead of approaching Lima. She said the flight was chartered by Gambian President Yahya Jammeh.

The plane, passengers and crew remained in Piura on Wednesday while authorities determined what penalty, if any, to levy against the airline.

Gambian newspaper Daily Observer reported on its Web page Wednesday that the fans had been delayed for a week in a hotel in the small West African nation, making them late for the game in Peru.

Piura city spokesman Carlos Ordonez said the Gambians' presence caused a "sensation" in the city, which rolled out the red carpet for the African guests, offering performances by local folk singers and dancers.

funny story, but of more interest to me is "Air Rum" I thought that was a photoshop job... But its real...

Credits
    And thisCurry Acura.. Killer! You can't make this stuff up... I guess someone ask "how you think Acura's would taste sautéd in curry".... And wahla...

By the who a quick edit this Air Rum's official site.. interesting...
    Last edited by Cimo 2; 09-24-2005 at 03:43 PM.

Credits
    Quote Originally Posted by Cimo 2
    And thisCurry Acura.. Killer! You can't make this stuff up... I guess someone ask "how you think Acura's would taste sautéd in curry".... And wahla...
    Oh my goodness!

Credits

Credits
    Now even I would have never thought up of a airplane company named air rum. Much less fly in them damn plane.

Credits
    not working

Credits
    Air Rum

i booking my flight now on Air Rum...hope it live up to its name
    soundcloud.com/selektacastro

Credits
    Quote Originally Posted by Soca Shane
    i booking my flight now on Air Rum...hope it live up to its name

Dat frigger would make money if he chartered in the Caribbean...

Credits
    Quote Originally Posted by Oneshot
    not working

Jus a closer look at the planes logo...

Credits
    Dat frigger would make money if he chartered in the Caribbean...
    For real!

Credits
    Quote Originally Posted by currygyal
    For real!

The flights to Trini Grenada, Jamaica, Antigua, Barbados, Haiti, and VI alone would be over booked all the time. They could workout a marketing plan with the local rum distributors, and even give discounts on rum, maybe have a frequent uuyer program... Man the possibilities a endless...... Sponsor queen show contestants, Cricket/Soccer tournements, Xmas packages, Flavored Babash taste testing... Man..

Credits
    they might even be able to give away vouchers to Curry Acura... LOL