Thread: Jamaican Music Industry is Not Credible

Credits

Jamaican Music Industry is Not Credible

Ras Kassa, Broadcasting Commission call out producer disc jocks

Internationally acclaimed Jamaican music video director, Ras Kassa has called into question the credibility of Dancehall-Reggae music given that so many disc jockeys are doing songs & playing their own material on local radio stations.

Ras Kassa called out producer disc jocks in a recent interview; intimating that too many Jamaican disc jocks are recording, producing & playing their own material on radio; diluting radio quality and, in turn Dancehall-Reggae music’s legitimacy. "If I was to produce music I would have to own my own radio station, because you can't have disc jocks playing their own songs on the radio, as well as producing and playing their own production, that is not objectivity,” Kassa told the Jamaica STAR.

Additionally, Kassa suggested that given the highly competitive nature of the Dancehall-Reggae industry, if disc jocks are recording & producing their own music, then regular artistes and producers will not get the attention that’s required to promote their material. "Some of them just want to be in the hype, the industry has too much groupies,” Kassa claimed.

However, Ras Kassa is not alone in this criticism as Broadcasting Commission executive director Cordel Green suggested that local radio stations must monitor how these disc jocks promote their content & that a failure to do so successfully would result in a JA$5 million fine. “The approach we have taken to this thing and we hope it works - if it doesn't, then we have to come back to the matter - is that the management of radio stations must be responsible for the treatment of, let's call it for the time being, connected content, that there must be first of all a declaration of connected content," Green told the Jamaica Gleaner.

Various disc jocks within the last two years have emerged as recognized producers and deejays within the Jamaican music industry. Most notably amongst the production ranks are ZJ Ice who recently produced the “Centre Stage Riddim,” & ZJ Chrome, who’s known for Riddims such as the “Dancehall EFX Riddim,” “Smokin Riddim,” & Contra Riddim. Furthermore, well renowned disc jock, ZJ Liquid who along with the aforementioned ZJs is a regular player on ZIPFM is known for many hit songs such as “Wifey Walk Out,” “Party Hard,” & “Wife Material,” on the Matrimoney Riddim

Ras Kassa, Broadcasting Commission call out producer disc jocks - National Jamaican Pop Culture | Examiner.com

I for one think no Caribbean music industry is credible... if there is one to begin with

Credits
    People got to do what they have to do to survive...

Credits
    Soca is worst than Dancehall when it comes to that esp St. Lucia

Credits
    If the songs were good there wouldn’t be a problem but I like many others have said “ what the hell they playing, that shit sound horrible, how that song on the radio”

A lot of these DJ's are butt cheeks,

Credits
    So the Commission is going to be monitoring the radio stations now? And what's the standard for determining whether a DJ is overstepping his boundaries? Interesting developments sure to follow.

Tony Matterhon and the rest.... ease up

Credits
    Quote Originally Posted by njtrini View Post
    So the Commission is going to be monitoring the radio stations now? And what's the standard for determining whether a DJ is overstepping his boundaries? Interesting developments sure to follow.

Tony Matterhon and the rest.... ease up
    U shouldnt mention Matterhorn because to be fair he has made quite a few songs that perform well in the clubs. There are others however that sing plenty garbage. Charlie Blacks is either hit or miss but he fairly decent still. To me DJs on radio stations should not get more than the average amount of spins per current song (whatever that figure is) until people actually start requesting the songs regularly. Now ofcourse there is a way around my suggestion since they could easily try and rounds up support from within the parish dey com from and have them call non-stop. It have no real way to totally stop this epidemic nah.
    Space available for RENT

Credits
    Quote Originally Posted by Big Bo$$ View Post
    U shouldnt mention Matterhorn because to be fair he has made quite a few songs that perform well in the clubs.
    Yeah, cause it have so many Matterhorn fanboys to begin with...not to mention all de sound followers...same way Kartel could realease a tune dat is pure shit and it will still buss just cause it's Vybz Kartel...

As far as "Dutty Wine" goes...it had a gimmick to go along with it, which was di dance itself...plus they played it so much on d radio dat people were already hooked...

Credits
    Only mentioned Tony cause he drop a tune today. Now the real question is... how are these djs being allowed to continue to oversaturate the airwaves with their tunes. Do they not have bosses? Who is really in control of what we listen to?

WHO DEFiNE THE SOCA INDUSTRY: THE ARTISTS, THE DEEJAYS OR THE LISTENING PUBLIC

Credits

DJs Respond

Following allegations made by international video director Ras Kassa that local radio stations cannot be credible while disc jocks are playing their own songs and productions, popular DJ and producer Foota Hype has defended the disc jockey fraternity.

Foota Hype, who debuted as a producer with his hit rhythm Gully Creeper in late 2006, says that once the music is good then the disc jockeys should be free to play their own material.

“As a producer, I got hit songs from a rhythm I produced in 2006, and they are still being played,” he said.

The DJ says he plays his own production because there is not enough time to play everybody’s music in the limited time authorised.

“Radio stations are hypocrites. If there was more time allotted to concentrate on local music we wouldn’t have time to notice that disc jocks are playing their songs,” he said.

According to the DJ, there should be a combined effort by members of the music fraternity to lobby for more air time, to increase the playing of locally produced music; only then true objectivity will be achieved.

“If I have 10 minutes to play, and play my production for six minutes out of the 10 minutes, nothing is wrong with that because that time is short, but if I had more time I would get to play more material from other producers,” he said.

The DJ also said that even on the party scene the problem is similar.

“When I am at a party and I start play new artiste songs, mi affi stop and start play hot songs because the time too short, so it’s more of a time issue that should be addressed,” he concluded.

Controversial DJ/ artiste ZJ Liquid also released a comment via his twitter account.

The tweet read: “When mi did a play everybody song and every artiste, dem did good but has a DJ produce a hit riddim, and as DJ do a song wha big, everybody have problem … Big up all disc jockey who produce music and all disc jockey who a artiste,” he tweeted.

As a result of the tweet, some persons commented on Liquid’s response via the Internet.

A comment posted by Papinealliance said “bwoy dem man ya a help mash up music, how you suppose to a play real artiste song, wen all yuh a do is play yours? An artiste that could get him song play in that time frame no get it cause yuh rather play yours, even if people nuh rate yuh as a artiste, that’s why mi naah turn artiste too much in face fighting, as a promoter I will never book liquid,” it read.

The issue concerning the credibility of local radio stations has been a hot topic on the Internet, since the indomitable Ras Kassa was bold enough to question the credibility of radio DJs in a previous article published in THE STAR

Disc Jockeys Playing Their Own Music… is That A Conflict Of Interest? Voice Your Opinion Right Here Right Now… | HYPE LIFE