Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: IS Jamaican music in danger?

dev
    Credits

IS Jamaican music in danger?

That is the question.

IT has not been a good year for Jamaican pop music. Sales tracker, SoundScan, reports that music buyers in the United States showed little interest in what Jamaican artistes had to offer in 2009.

SoundScan has released sales figures to the end of October. It said, collectively, reggae/dancehall music sold just 502,171 units for the first 10 months of the year.

Leading the way was Sean Paul's Imperial Blaze album with sales of 70,917.

That is a massive drop from sales of The Trinity, his previous album, which sold over three million copies.

The Trinity spawned the hit singles Temperature and We Be Burnin'. It was a strong follow-up to 2002's Dutty Rock which sold more than five million units.

sales data

SoundScan is an electronic network that collects sales data from over 17,000 record stores in the United States. Its data is widely used by publications, such as Billboard magazine.

Another disappointing album was Light, from Jewish dancehall rapper Matisyahu whose previous effort, Youth, was a platinum (over one million units) seller. It sold a mere 58,698 copies three months after it hit record stores.

B Is For Bob, a children's album of remastered Bob Marley songs, fared well for that market with 35,760 copies. Ziggy Marley, the man behind that project, saw his Family Time set clocking 36,152 copies.

Brother Julian Marley's Awake, which was recently released, has not done well. It has sold almost 9,000 copies.

VP Records' annual Reggae Gold compilation, continued its consistent performance with 18,949 copies.

In contrast, some of the acts VP banked on this year, folded. Chief among them was singer Tarrus Riley and deejay Mavado whose Contagious and Mr Brooks: A Better Tomorrow had dismal returns at 4,736 and 14,000, respectively.

Queen Ifrica's highly-touted Montego Bay, released in the summer by VP, has so far sold a mere 2,726 copies. One Moment In Time by Beres Hammond, another project from the Queens, New York label, barely passed the 11,000 mark.

Jah Cure's Universal Cure also held great expectations, but flopped with sales of 5,319 copies. Rasta Got Soul by Buju Banton fared slightly better with sales of over 8,000.

less hyped projects

Interestingly, less hyped projects did well. Bright Side by Californian band Rebelution sold 20,311 copies; Above The Bones from Bermudan/Canadian singer Mishka sold 14,091 and Vibes by Jamaica-born rapper Heavy D, just got over the 10,000 figure.

'Best of albums' had 'so-so' performances. The Very Best of Sizzla (10,000) was the best of the Jamaican offerings; only 8,845 persons bought Shaggy's Boombastic Collection while UB40's Greatest Hits sold 26,323.

A big surprise was Tanya Stephens' The Hits Collection with a paltry 864 copies sold.

Credits
    Album sales are done, but de DJ's will still have sell out concerts.

Credits
    Nope... Jamaican music is global... They have huge following in places such as Japan, UK, Ghana, etc...
    Seven is the number of the natural world. There are 7 days in the week, 7 notes on the musical scale and 7 directions (left, right, up, down, forward, back and center). The Sages teach that seven are the attributes of physicality: Height, Width, Depth, Top and Bottom (limits height), Front and Back (limits width), Left and Right (limits depth), the connecting of the other six.

Credits
    Quote Originally Posted by Riley Escobar View Post
    Nope... Jamaican music is global... They have huge following in places such as Japan, UK, Ghana, etc...
    dey have a huge following all over de world, u could go anywhere in de world and find a dancehall or roots club

Credits
    People need to understand that the American mainstream has phases (as do the mainstreams of other countries). One year, there may be a Latin phase and the next a Caribbean phase and next a Middle Eastern/South Asian phase. There are those who always follow particular genres, but as far as huge popularity, the trends vary.

That's just how it is.

Credits
    Quote Originally Posted by bouyon king View Post
    dey have a huge following all over de world, u could go anywhere in de world and find a dancehall or roots club
    Ha ha... True that... Yo bouyon, did U manage to get the album I recommeded or do I have to drop more bangers to convince you...
    Seven is the number of the natural world. There are 7 days in the week, 7 notes on the musical scale and 7 directions (left, right, up, down, forward, back and center). The Sages teach that seven are the attributes of physicality: Height, Width, Depth, Top and Bottom (limits height), Front and Back (limits width), Left and Right (limits depth), the connecting of the other six.

Credits
    Ha ha... True that... Yo bouyon, did U manage to get the album I recommeded or do I have to drop more bangers to convince you...
    i dont buy albums, so provide a download link an we good 2 go

Credits
    I have the jah Cure, Queen Ifrica, Beres albums and I did not buy them. There is still a demand for the music but people just are not buying albums in the same form that they used to if they buy them at all.
    These artist are prolly gonna have to start making more money on performances and devising creative/nontraditioal ways to get people to buy the music.

Credits
    Quote Originally Posted by YardiePrincess View Post
    I have the jah Cure, Queen Ifrica, Beres albums and I did not buy them. There is still a demand for the music but people just are not buying albums in the same form that they used to if they buy them at all.
    These artist are prolly gonna have to start making more money on performances and devising creative/nontraditioal ways to get people to buy the music.
    If they stop coming out with wack albums which includes one hot song and having a lot of wack songs then people would start buying again...

Credits
    If they stop coming out with wack albums which includes one hot song and having a lot of wack songs then people would start buying again...
    Lol.. u think so?

Look at the convo u having with BK? Don't u find the album good and he not going to buy it? I think if there is a means for people to get it for free they are not going to go buy it!!

Credits
    lol.....well i not feeling sean paul but the albums i mentioned that i have are not at all wack. the QI one is great. i am going to see her in a few weeks. the jah cure album is also great i am gonna see him in a few weeks too. and beres could never be wack..lol its impossible. its just easier to down load from i tunes so thats what ppl. are doing plus money is tight right now every where.

Credits
    Quote Originally Posted by YardiePrincess View Post
    lol.....well i not feeling sean paul but the albums i mentioned that i have are not at all wack. the QI one is great. i am going to see her in a few weeks. the jah cure album is also great i am gonna see him in a few weeks too. and beres could never be wack..lol its impossible. its just easier to down load from i tunes so thats what ppl. are doing plus money is tight right now every where.
    Don't u pay for it from itunes???

Credits
    People have other means of getting music.

Why buy an album when you can just go on a forum and click on a rapidshare or megaupload link?

ank
    Credits
    what kind of muzic are you talking about .

Credits
    Is the music still fun for the average person to dance and enjoy?
    STATIC RADIO - www.islandmix.com/static
    Tunein Radio - Static Radio

LR Advertising LLC

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast