Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree3Likes

Thread: Jamaican chinese community documentary

Credits

Jamaican chinese community documentary

here is a documentary on the Jamaican chinese community and its history. lets see how long it lasts up here but until then feel free to share your thoughts, feelings, hateful knee jerk reactions or any form of feedback and criticism.

Jamaican Chinese community - YouTube

Credits
    Quote Originally Posted by islandhopper View Post
    here is a documentary on the Jamaican chinese community and its history. lets see how long it lasts up here but until then feel free to share your thoughts, feelings, hateful knee jerk reactions or any form of feedback and criticism.

Jamaican Chinese community - YouTube
    Hey you. *waves*
    Who has eyes to see, let them see...

Credits
    Quote Originally Posted by Brownilus View Post
    Hey you. *waves*
    wa gwan?!

Credits
    Quote Originally Posted by islandhopper View Post
    wa gwan?!
    deh yah...

Any stations down there you presented your documentaries to?
    Who has eyes to see, let them see...

Credits
    Going to watch now. Hateful knee jerk reaction is a specialty of mine.

Credits
    I had a look, here are my thoughts:

1) I don't know the budget available so I won't harp on the minor stuff (phone ringing) and the major stuff (ah felt there were elements of the narrative that needed challenging or greater examination)

2) I didn't like the narrator. Her content was satisfactory but I think these things need someone with a certain kind of voice to lend gravitas to it.

3) I wanted to hear from the Priest. The man was introduced then no more

4) I wasn't given any reason to value the opinions of the people who spoke. Chang was good but that first fella in the mall, who is he?

5) The video could have been better, even with constraints. I wanted to see a better shot of the two chinee shops. That video was almost apologetic.

Daiz it for now, leh others contribute.

Credits
    Quote Originally Posted by Steupz View Post
    I had a look, here are my thoughts:

1) I don't know the budget available so I won't harp on the minor stuff (phone ringing) and the major stuff (ah felt there were elements of the narrative that needed challenging or greater examination)

2) I didn't like the narrator. Her content was satisfactory but I think these things need someone with a certain kind of voice to lend gravitas to it.

3) I wanted to hear from the Priest. The man was introduced then no more

4) I wasn't given any reason to value the opinions of the people who spoke. Chang was good but that first fella in the mall, who is he?

5) The video could have been better, even with constraints. I wanted to see a better shot of the two chinee shops. That video was almost apologetic.

Daiz it for now, leh others contribute.
    if you want more detail then here you are it is broken into segments .
    jamaican racial frictions
    Jamaican racial frictions - YouTube

introduction-
    forgotten faces of Jamaica Introduction - YouTube

as far as father ho lung he would not do a interview on such a subject he is more concerned with preaching religion and disassociating himself from his chinese heritage

Credits
    Quote Originally Posted by Brownilus View Post
    deh yah...

Any stations down there you presented your documentaries to?
    i actually just got to the USA where i am doing a screening on the 21st of april in massachusetts at a film festival.

LB
    Credits
    if that was you doing the video-ing then you really need to work on your skills. The angles and lighting were not good at all, and the editting was choppy. Even with a low budget, you could present a far better product.

content....well, it was one-sided. You dont have enough of a cross section in your interviews for ppl to get a true sense of the Chinese community in JA. So the slant is more negative than positive. I have Chinese-Jamaican friends who would take exception to many things said in the video because there was no one having an opposing view being presented.

and you didnt even touch on the hugh influx of Chinese coming directly from China right now with the burgeoning economic relationship between China and JA that is a whoooooooolllllle other layer to life in JA. The contrast between recent immigrants and Chinese-Jamaicans who have been in JA for generations.
    Collie4Nyah likes this.
    ~ If you make the mountain any bigger you wont be able to move it later

Credits
    good watch there are alot of them in miami

Credits
    Quote Originally Posted by sankofaa View Post
    good watch there are alot of them in miami
    yes like all west indians Miami seems to be the place to go though the majority migrated to Canada in the Ontario area and there has been a small migration to NYC

Juan Dan
    Quote Originally Posted by LB View Post
    if that was you doing the video-ing then you really need to work on your skills. The angles and lighting were not good at all, and the editting was choppy. Even with a low budget, you could present a far better product.

content....well, it was one-sided. You dont have enough of a cross section in your interviews for ppl to get a true sense of the Chinese community in JA. So the slant is more negative than positive. I have Chinese-Jamaican friends who would take exception to many things said in the video because there was no one having an opposing view being presented.

and you didnt even touch on the hugh influx of Chinese coming directly from China right now with the burgeoning economic relationship between China and JA that is a whoooooooolllllle other layer to life in JA. The contrast between recent immigrants and Chinese-Jamaicans who have been in JA for generations.
    at least steupz a critique
    this seem badmind and full of anger
    yet I respect your opinion

Credits
    Quote Originally Posted by Jigga Boozy View Post
    at least steupz a critique
    this seem badmind and full of anger
    yet I respect your opinion
    No project is perfect and everyone is entitled to their opinion

LB
    Credits
    good god. criticism of my critique because I wont lie and say its great? There is a huge room for improvement. That is what I saw and islandhopper can take what he wants or doesnt want from it. I dont know the man from Adam but I should be mad at him for something and want to hurt him.
    kissteet at childishness.
    Collie4Nyah likes this.
    ~ If you make the mountain any bigger you wont be able to move it later

Credits
    Quote Originally Posted by LB View Post
    good god. criticism of my critique because I wont lie and say its great? There is a huge room for improvement. That is what I saw and islandhopper can take what he wants or doesnt want from it. I dont know the man from Adam but I should be mad at him for something and want to hurt him.
    kissteet at childishness.
    LB i have no problem with your critique i have the same complaints about my own work at times i wish i had a bigger budget and the right tools and i have invested more into my gear since then and improved.
    Like i said no project is perfect and you are entitled to your opinion i agree with you. some people like the project some dont some could csre less that is the nature of things.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast