Thread: Jamaica parties say no to gangs

Brown Milk

Jamaica parties say no to gangs

Jamaica's political leaders have been pleading for peaceful elections, when they're held this year.
    The prime minister Portia Simpson-Miller says she'll not allow criminal gangs to influence the election campaign.

"No matter who or what party, anyone that start to stir up any kind of trouble or war when I call the elections, you are to deal with that person," she told the police commissioner Lucius Thomas, who was in the audience at an awards ceremony last Saturday.

The commissioner had warned of a possible return to the violent campaigning of the 1980s.

He had said that police intelligence has shown there's an accumulation of guns in some of the politically polarised inner city areas of the capital Kingston.

No refuge

In Montego Bay at the weekend, opposition leader Bruce Golding said that gangs members in the area will not find a place in his Jamaica Labour Party.

"There is a criminal network or perhaps different criminal networks that have emerged in St James, and in Montego Bay in particular. But I want to send a clear signal to all of them who may be involved that the Jamaica Labour Party is not the place for any of them to seek any refuge," Mr Golding said.

The 1980 election campaign was the bloodiest in Jamaica's history, with more than 600 people killed. No other election has even come come close to having violence on that scale, and indeed statistics from the last two show a decrease in incidents of political violence.

By law elections aren't due till October, but the JLP are expecting the prime minister to call one around June.

Both parties have been holding weekend campaigns.

Credits
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr.Commotion View Post
    Jamaica's political leaders have been pleading for peaceful elections, when they're held this year.
    The prime minister Portia Simpson-Miller says she'll not allow criminal gangs to influence the election campaign.

"No matter who or what party, anyone that start to stir up any kind of trouble or war when I call the elections, you are to deal with that person," she told the police commissioner Lucius Thomas, who was in the audience at an awards ceremony last Saturday.

The commissioner had warned of a possible return to the violent campaigning of the 1980s.

He had said that police intelligence has shown there's an accumulation of guns in some of the politically polarised inner city areas of the capital Kingston.

No refuge

In Montego Bay at the weekend, opposition leader Bruce Golding said that gangs members in the area will not find a place in his Jamaica Labour Party.

"There is a criminal network or perhaps different criminal networks that have emerged in St James, and in Montego Bay in particular. But I want to send a clear signal to all of them who may be involved that the Jamaica Labour Party is not the place for any of them to seek any refuge," Mr Golding said.

The 1980 election campaign was the bloodiest in Jamaica's history, with more than 600 people killed. No other election has even come come close to having violence on that scale, and indeed statistics from the last two show a decrease in incidents of political violence.

By law elections aren't due till October, but the JLP are expecting the prime minister to call one around June.

Both parties have been holding weekend campaigns.

Sounds like something out of Monty Pyton. The "divide n rule" machinery is always in full effect, it never takes a vacation. They learned that from their masters and they learned it well.

Brown Milk
    We shall see bout dat...

Credits
    I an really looking forward to this election in Jamaica.........

.....I want to see what Jamaicans REALLY THINK about having a Female Candidate for Prime Minister.