Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast
Like Tree4Likes

Thread: Jagdeo acquired more wealth in office than any other Guyanese President – AFC Chairma

Credits

Jagdeo acquired more wealth in office than any other Guyanese President – AFC Chairma

The most corrupt country in the caribbean.

NCN corruption debates…Jagdeo acquired more wealth in office than any other Guyanese President – AFC Chairman

SEPTEMBER 4, 2012 | BY KNEWS | FILED UNDER NEWS
    “What is wrong with a former president or a president seeking to ensure that he lives a comfortable life after his presidency? Especially because we have term limits, knowing full well that you are going to demit office, you must ensure that you look for your future. We must not go from a president to rags,” – Labour Minister Nanda Gopaul.
    Bharrat Jagdeo, while in office, acquired more wealth than any other president of independent Guyana.
    This is according to Alliance for Change (AFC) Chairman attorney at law Nigel Hughes.
    Hughes made the observation while single-handedly taking on two cabinet ministers – Attorney General and Minister of Legal Affairs Anil Nandlall and Labour Minister Nanda Gopaul – a PPP sympathizer and the Chief Labour Officer, during the latest edition of the National Communication Network-organized public debates on corruption.
    The other main opposition A Partnership for National Unity (APNU) has opted out of the debates.

Amidst a string of rebuttals from his opponents, Hughes went on to point out that “no other head of state in this country through independence to now…while they were president, made a business of the presidency to acquire the assets that the State owned; not assets they went out on the open market and bought; assets that the State owned, and they then converted and bought below market prices.”
    Hughes was mainly referring to the house that the former Guyanese leader now owns at Sparendaam East Coast Demerara (Pradoville 2), which he described as a “Palace”.
    According to Hughes, Jagdeo managed to purchase prime ocean front land for $5M per acre, an amount way below the market value of such property.
    “This is State land acquired by the government of the day and distributed to the President and the President’s friends below market prices, next to Courida Park, some of the most expensive real estate. I’m still waiting to find out where I can get one acre of ocean front property, prime real estate for $5M per acre,” Hughes said.
    He challenged his opponents to identify whether Dr. Jagan or even President Burnham ever carried out such practices.
    His assertions were strongly refuted by Labour Minister Nanda Gopaul and Attorney General Anil Nandlall, who made it clear that Jagdeo received what every other Guyanese received under the government’s housing programme.

Nandlall explained that like every other Guyanese, Jagdeo was allocated a house lot for $58,000, which in the particular case was located in Goedverwagting, or what is popularly called Pradoville, on the East Coast of Demerara.
    “It is most unfair to say that the president took the nation’s assets and enriched himself,” he said.
    It was emphasised that at the time of the acquisition, Jagdeo was Minister of Finance and not the President.
    “The difference between Mr. Jagdeo and every other President in this country is that he took power in his thirties. He didn’t own anything, he came back from studies, he worked and he acquired as he was working. He was the only President that is distinguished in that respect,” the Attorney General stated.
    According to Labour Minister Gopaul, the Ministry of Housing is an authority in Guyana to develop housing schemes and sell house lots, and all the prices are consistent with State value.
    Nandlall explained that with a tax free salary of close to $1M per month, along with other benefits as President, Jagdeo could afford to construct a house, which he could have eventually resold for US$600,000 (G$120M).
    The Attorney General defended the price that Jagdeo managed to get for the property since he, Nandlall, had personally negotiated the deal as the duly constituted attorney for the former President.
    “That was not the agreed price. US$600,000 was not the price that the President wanted, he wanted higher than that. We finally arrived at a price and I conducted the entire transaction,” Nandlall said.
    But the AFC Chairman questioned the integrity of the whole sale, noting that it appeared as if there was some Presidential hand-wringing.

Jagdeo’s home at “Pradoville 2”.
    “When you are in the office of presidency and you are the only person who can sell a two-storey concrete building on 5000 square feet of land, residential property, for US$600,000, there is some magic there. And so that you do not expose yourself to an allegation that you are not being improperly influenced, particularly where the purchaser is the campaign manager of the PPP,” Hughes stated.
    But the Attorney General countered by declaring that he has done conveyances as a practitioner of law, whereby he sold residential properties for US$1M and over.
    “I have done it in this country and I’m sure that Mr. Hughes has done so,” Nandlall argued.
    Nandlall disclosed that after the sale another piece of land was made available for distribution to a certain quality of Guyanese office holders, a category into which the former President fell.
    “The impression that is being given here, that the President embarked upon this conquest and acquired land by some improper way and improper procedure, is one that must be wholly rejected,” the Attorney General stated emphatically.
    According to Nandlall, many persons, including Ministers of the government, former Commissioners of Police and CARICOM Secretariat officials, were offered land for sale there, a move that he said was made public.
    But Hughes countered that he like many other Guyanese was unaware that the State land at Pradoville 2, which “Jagdeo and his close associates” now occupy, was advertised for sale publicly.
    “Can I ask…where was this land advertised? When did they advertise ocean front land?”
    It was around that time that Labour Minister Nanda Gopaul made one of the more controversial contributions of the debate.
    He argued that there was nothing wrong with a President fortifying himself financially while in office.
    “What is wrong with a former President or a President seeking to ensure that he lives a comfortable life after his presidency? Especially because we have term limits, knowing full well that you are going to demit office, you must ensure that you look for your future. We must not go from a President to rags,” Gopaul asserted.
    He further argued that the assets of the former President can be scrutinised so that anyone can see how he has acquired his wealth.
    At the conclusion of the debate, the AFC Chairman reiterated that there must be a cap on the former President’s benefits, since it would be unfair to the taxpayers for Jagdeo to build a palace and have them “foot the bill” for its upkeep.
    "Every onlooker is either a coward or a traitor." — Frantz Fanon

“If there is no struggle, there is no progress. Those who profess to favor freedom, and yet depreciate agitation, are men who want crops without plowing up the ground. They want rain without thunder and lightning. They want the ocean without the awful roar of its many waters.” Frederick Douglass

Credits
    A letter from a citizen that was printed in one of the newspapers.

The Moleson Creek School is a rat hole, where the rats infesting the PPP should be residing
    SEPTEMBER 3, 2012 | BY KNEWS | FILED UNDER LETTERS
    Dear Editor,
    Only with the PPP you get Marriott hotel before Moleson Creek School and DPP office before Passport Office in Berbice
    Every single day, people across this country wake up sucking their teeth. They live in such an exasperatingly corrupt and deficient country where their government is mindless, vindictive, clueless and motivated by self-interest, nepotism and cronyism. We have a school in Moleson Creek in the heart of Berbice, a PPP stronghold. The school could be something out of the Jungle Book. It is surrounded by snakes, bats and a forest. The road to this school is scarier than Fright Night.
    The charlatans running the PPP do not see it fit to fix this school. The bandits dominating the PPP see it fit to build a Marriott Hotel instead in a country saturated with hotels and always suffering from high vacancy because no right-thinking foreigner considers this shameful paradise the PPP built as visit-worthy. The Marriott Hotel is being built from taxpayers’ money held by NICIL, a state corporation the PPP government refuses to allow any kind of independent audit of, has refused to adhere to a parliamentary motion on and which the opposition claims is missing over $40 billion.

The PPP wants to use billions of the Guyanese people’s money to build a white elephant hotel just like it handed out lucrative contracts to build the white elephant Skeldon Sugar Factory and the Enmore Packaging Plant, yet it leaves a school just down the road from the Skeldon white elephant sugar factory looking like an oversized latrine in the Amazon. This is called putting the horse before the cart mentality. It is called looking after the rich, powerful and the upper crust while neglecting the lower classes of this country.
    It is called dumb and reckless decision-making. How could the PPP practice this kind of discrimination against the poor people of this country? How could this party that received 32,360 Berbician votes in the 2011 election kick and mistreat Berbicians in this fashion? How could they neglect a school that will be filled by children of poor people in that community while fighting to build a hotel that will remain empty for most of the time?
    No government in its right mind unless it is motivated by self-greed and personal enrichment and not the interests of the people will ever waste taxpayers’ money in this fashion. These shamans refuse to pay cane cutters and sugar workers in Berbice or to treat them with dignity but they prefer to build fancy white elephant hotels. This version of the PPP is a foul and bastardized version of Cheddi Jagan’s party and dream. Cheddi Jagan would never be rushing to build hotels while the children of this country are learning in hovels. The pigs who have hijacked the PPP have no problem leaving poor people’s children learning in a pigsty. Their children attend private schools and overseas universities.
    The Moleson Creek School is a rat hole, exactly the place where the rats infesting the PPP should be residing. Now the reprobates want to build a DPP office in New Amsterdam rather than return the Passport and Driver Licence office back to Berbice. There is nothing wrong in having an office of the DPP in Berbice but it is unprincipled to build this office in Berbice before a passport and driver licensing office. Every single day, we have dozens of Berbicians having to disrupt their lives and running around in Georgetown like headless chickens while baking in the hot sun in that cow pen that passes for a structure in the passport and driver licence offices.

In order to get a passport or a driver’s licence in this country, already struggling poor people must leave their homes, put their livelihoods on hold, lose money and huddle like prisoners in a POW camp to get a sordid piece of paper. The PPP closed the offices in New Amsterdam to drive the people of Berbice into Georgetown in a mercenary assault on their dignity. The intent was to fill the pockets of the private owners of the Berbice Bridge by sending Berbicians scampering back and forth over that bridge to Georgetown. The PPP, controlled by the Jagdeoites, favours the rich and powerful over the poor and the powerless.
    This is the recurring theme of the PPP, the constant nightmare; it always favours the rich over the poor. The dilemma for Berbicians is they feel like political hostages. They are disgusted and saddened by the PPP but are deathly afraid of a return of the PNC and rightly so. They feel trapped, hurt, angry and ashamed. They never thought back in 1992 that they would be at this crossroads facing this deep moral predicament where they hate and revile the very party they support simply because the alternative is another beast known as PNC/APNU.

The PPP hacks know how Berbicians are tormented and trapped. They think Berbicians will grin and take the insult and the shame that this group controlling the PPP heaps upon them.
    They believe in their twisted minds that Berbicians are too afraid to do better. They see Berbicians as sheep willing to fold under the whip of the Jagdeoites who control the PPP for the sake of preventing the rise of the PNC. But people have had enough.
    Some have already left and are never returning to the PPP, no matter how fearful they are. Others are leaving every day from the party of their ancestors.
    In this repulsive country the PPP has created, it is difficult to reconcile one’s inner morality with political support for the PPP. Some will choose saving their soul rather than saving the political souls of inveterate sinners. This is what has happened to some PPP supporters.
    The final nail in the coffin for some Berbicians and other PPP supporters is the PNC/APNU practices more democracy and internal accountability than the PPP.
    That brings great shame to some supporters of the PPP who knew how despotic and malevolent the PNC was when it destroyed this country. Other PPP supporters have realized a long time now that this is not about race but really about class. That the Jageoites and their friends in charge of the PPP have benefited from racial voting and used that benefit to create a specially favoured new upper class in this country at the expense of the majority working class poor.
    The handwriting is on the wall for the PPP and like every arrogant government that has fallen heavily from grace, it cannot even recognize it.
    M. Maxwell

“If there is no struggle, there is no progress. Those who profess to favor freedom, and yet depreciate agitation, are men who want crops without plowing up the ground. They want rain without thunder and lightning. They want the ocean without the awful roar of its many waters.” Frederick Douglass

Credits
    if i open my mouth i will offend the indians with what i say... but keep voting racially.. smh

Credits
    Quote Originally Posted by NASDAQ View Post
    if i open my mouth i will offend the indians with what i say... but keep voting racially.. smh
    not only the indians fault, Blacks too. Guyana is not a country, split the land in half between the blacks and indians, then problem solved
    GREATNESS IS ALL I KNOW

Credits
    sry but when i saw the name jagdeo i automatically knew he was guyanese lol...carry on
    before you work on artificial intelligence why don't you do something about natural stupidity?

Instagram: @iamvivaa

Twitter: @Iamvivaa

MZ. VIVAA LA'BEAUTEE
    http://www.facebook.com/VivaaEntertainment

YOUTUBE.COM/EMPRESSPRIA
    >SWQ SOCA DEMON<

iamvivaa@gmail.com

Credits
    Quote Originally Posted by SWAGGERIFIC View Post
    not only the indians fault, Blacks too. Guyana is not a country, split the land in half between the blacks and indians, then problem solved
    cant blame blacks because even if he said " i'ma get rich while u get nothing".. they would have still voted for him because they rather one of theirs lead than a black person.

u wish it was never a country, we never splitting GT..

Credits

Every countries where You will find 2 major racial groups u will find division.Trinidad is just as divided as Guyana, Trinidad does a better job of masking the division.When the black folks used to run the country ,Indians pple accused them of trying to turn TNT in a "Black state" now the blacks are "saying how Indians are trying to make an "Indian State" .Indian pple run thing in TNT financial so is the case in guyana,it is not always through honest means,Such case can be made for some black folks too in TNT and Guyana.

You are probably one of those Trinis that have this "Carnival mentality" or a false sense of Cooperation ..."Indian pple and black people like soca,Carnival, drinking & liming therefore we are United...Plus TNT have have real Douglas" Unity goes beyond shaking your ass on the street for your information.They should divide TNT in two except for "Carnival time"

Credits

Anytime an issue about Guyana comes up it always boils down to an insulting discussion of race and it's mostly by the overseas bloggers not the people on the street in Guyana. There's a class issue in GY but the politicians are cleverly using race to pit us against each other and we stupidly fall for it.

Swaggerific, for the most part people in Guyana live side by side in peace. It's shameful to come on a C/bean blogsite and see this tearing down of each other by foreigners. Nobody else does it. We ought to take a page out of the Jamaicans' book.

Jagdeo has presided over GDP growth in the economy year after year. No other president has grown the economy like he did. We have come a long way from what obtained and we have a long way to go but this racial politics but it is like two little children crying to their mother over who got more ice cream and trying to push the ice cream out of the others' hand. Do you really think any of the other parties would do a better job in Gov't? They're all waiting for their turns to line their pockets; none of these men/women are poor.

Since we're discussing corruption, someone should ask Hughes what happened to the tape from Mr. Hamilton's gas station in Buxton. Freddie Kissoon wrote about it.

Credits
    cant blame blacks because even if he said " i'ma get rich while u get nothing".. they would have still voted for him because they rather one of theirs lead than a black person.

u wish it was never a country, we never splitting GT..
    Likewise NASDAQ, despite what obtained during the PNC dictatorship, Blacks in GY voted for the PNC and for those who were complicit during Burnham's regime, in every election since 1992.

Do you ever think politicians lose? Not even when they're in the opposition. Only the common man ever does. Even PNC politician Mortimer Mingo of Linden was going to get a lot near Jagdeo.

Credits
    In theory you are right when u say politicians never lose whether in power or the opposition.When you ask the question "]do you really think any of the other parties would do a better job in Gov't" Development can come in the "form of Crime Reduction" The PPP government either has lost control over the police force or secretively encourages them with these slack behaviours"One cannot always use money alone as measuring stick to determine Qaulity of living or"Doing a better job".Guyanese are afraid of the police force especial Black people.I Do believe the AFC would do a better job in terms of Crime reduction at the least.

Clement rohee is disgrace,one can ague that when PNC was in power Crime was much much lower.This so called"Growth in Economy" is nothing more than fraud.The PPP claim that 1000 schools across Guyana were either built or rehabilitated.Where is the evidence Visually and legally
    "1000 Schools built or renovated"They are yet to provide proof on the amount of school built vs amount Renovated.Where are these schools located,LET'S SPEAK TO THE LOCALS AND ASK IF ANY IMPROVEMENTS WERE INDEED MADE,GUYANA IS NOT A LARGE COUNTRY,FINDING THESE "SO CALLED BUILT SCHOOLS SHOULD NOT BE HARD

The Sugar industry is about to collapse under ppp,One of the reasons (if not the only) they are bailing it out its because they don't want to lose the support of the "Indian people in Berbice and Guyana"When Indians begin to lose their jobs at incredible levels that "may" be the end of the PPP.They talk about all these"So called Improvements" when none of it is manifested through the quality of living in Guyana for Indians and more daringly Black folks.Guyana suffers from a large brain drain,how would this exist if the Financial statements from the PPP are Correct.Every body wants peace but few people want Equality.What do u make of the Situation in linden?

Credits
    Quote Originally Posted by Sankat View Post
    Anytime an issue about Guyana comes up it always boils down to an insulting discussion of race and it's mostly by the overseas bloggers not the people on the street in Guyana. There's a class issue in GY but the politicians are cleverly using race to pit us against each other and we stupidly fall for it.

Swaggerific, for the most part people in Guyana live side by side in peace. It's shameful to come on a C/bean blogsite and see this tearing down of each other by foreigners. Nobody else does it. We ought to take a page out of the Jamaicans' book.

Jagdeo has presided over GDP growth in the economy year after year. No other president has grown the economy like he did. We have come a long way from what obtained and we have a long way to go but this racial politics but it is like two little children crying to their mother over who got more ice cream and trying to push the ice cream out of the others' hand. Do you really think any of the other parties would do a better job in Gov't? They're all waiting for their turns to line their pockets; none of these men/women are poor.

Since we're discussing corruption, someone should ask Hughes what happened to the tape from Mr. Hamilton's gas station in Buxton. Freddie Kissoon wrote about it.
    u can say what u want, in or out of GT guyanese people talk about race...when i was there people was talking about up coming elections and outside we still talk about it. stop act like the last elections wasn't controversial... nobody thinks blacks and indians are at each other necks everyday. But best believe there are still some places in GT where it's heavily black populated or indian populated...

we aint holding hands and singing "Kum ba yah" no time soon

And another thing… indians love to say.. “ the blacks wasn’t any better when they was running the country” Criticize the black presidents for not doing a good, quick to bring up burnham name..how long ago was that?.. Point is indians running it now, been running it for a while, and them damn sure aint doing a better job ..they even put in a old white woman from America. A place they could NEVER GO AND BE PRESIDENT. If they can dish it out they should be able to take it GT F-up because they keeping it so..

Credits
    Seems like the PPP mafia have hit Imix.

Credits
    And further marginalize the country's original inhabitants?

Credits
    Quote Originally Posted by Sankat View Post
    Likewise NASDAQ, despite what obtained during the PNC dictatorship, Blacks in GY voted for the PNC and for those who were complicit during Burnham's regime, in every election since 1992.

Do you ever think politicians lose? Not even when they're in the opposition. Only the common man ever does. Even PNC politician Mortimer Mingo of Linden was going to get a lot near Jagdeo.
    Wrong! Blacks started the WPA and were in the forefront of the opposition. African people have been fighting the power structure ever since we were brought to Guyana. Africans in GT aren't as tribal as Indians. Maybe we would be better off if we were.
    NASDAQ and Rinababy like this.

Credits
    Quote Originally Posted by Seawall View Post
    And further marginalize the country's original inhabitants?
    split it in three then
    GREATNESS IS ALL I KNOW

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast