Thread: Islandmix news terror alert UPDATE

Dragon

Islandmix news terror alert UPDATE

[updated:LAST EDITED ON May-21-02 AT 05:22 PM (EST)]http://www.foxnews.com/images/56032/7_21_052102_nyharbor.jpg http://i.cnn.net/cnn/2002/US/05/21/gen.war.on.terror/story.statue.liberty2.jpg
    NEW YORK ISLANDMIX NEWS

Police Department ramped up security at the Statue of Liberty and Brooklyn Bridge Tuesday afternoon after receiving terrorist threats on two of America's most treasured landmarks.

An official said the alert would last at least through the Memorial Day weekend.

Officials at the FBI and Justice Department said the information that led to the alert was culled from interviews with Al Qaeda and Taliban detainees at the Guantanamo Bay naval base, including high-ranking Al Qaeda operative Abu Zubaydah.

The threats were passed on to the FBI's joint terrorism task force in New York. An official stressed that the information used to formulate the alert was "uncorroborated and unsubstantiated," and that the FBI did not plan to issue any warnings of its own.

Security was increased around monuments and landmarks after the warning was relayed to New York authorities, the official said.

New York Police Commissioner Raymond Kelly said the NYPD was dealing very closely with federal authorities and that the department was prepared for "any eventuality." Kelly's comments came the day before Fleet Week 2002, the city's annual gathering of naval ships and personnel.

Kelly said he felt the department was "doing the best that we reasonably can do to prevent another incident and to respond if, God forbid, there is one."

Security zones are in place, forbidding vessels from operating within 150 yards of the United Nations, Ellis Island or Liberty Island. Also, no vessels can operate within 25 yards of bridge piers, abutments, tunnel ventilators or waterfront facilities.

Additional Fleet Week restrictions were announced Monday. There are minimum-speed, no-wake "protection zones" that extend 500 yards from all U.S. naval vessels at all times.

Non-military vessels are not allowed to enter within 100 yards of any U.S. naval vessel unless authorized by an official patrol.

On Tuesday, Mayor Michael Bloomberg said he didn't see any reason why people shouldn't enjoy Fleet Week and Brass & Glow over the weekend.

"The more people that are out, the safer this city will be, and we are used to hosting big events. Fleet Week is just another one," he said. "There are always threats unfortunately. But fortunately, most are hoaxes."

Nearly every major tourist attraction in New York, including all the big museums, the Empire State Building and the Statue of Liberty, were closed following the Sept. 11 attack on the World Trade Center.

Liberty Island, home to the Statue of Liberty, and Ellis Island both national parks were closed to visitors for 100 days after the terror attacks. The statue itself remains closed.

Several other National Park Service sites in the city were closed in the wake of the terrorist attacks, either because they were close to the World Trade Center attack, like Federal Hall on Wall Street, or because they were used for staging, like Fort Wadsworth on Staten Island. All have reopened.

[font color="RED" size="5.25" face="French Script MT"]The Honorable Dragon (moderator)[/font]

Credits

RE: Islandmix news terror alert

Yeah, there was a substantial drop in the DOW today after this news broke...*sigh* Just as things were starting to pick up.

"Out of many, One People"

Credits

Hm I been hearing things such as this but it is un corroborated info. It cannot be proven or disproven.. But better be safe that sorry

L.Ranger

Credits

Damn, to think I have to drive through that tunnel to get to NY.

Credits

[updated:LAST EDITED ON May-21-02 AT 04:24 PM (EST)]Now my questions is this...

How can this info come from the Al Quaeda and Taliban prisoners on Guantanamo Bay when they have been there for months? Obviously they have not had contact with the outside world for months now so if anything was planned recently how would they know. From what I understand only the top people in these organizations have been privy to any planned attacks. The forces that be wouldn't disclose their plans to every and any Taliban or Al Quaeda walking around. Maybe it's just me, but every holiday that comes along there's some terror alert given.

Credits

I believe this is part of the terror network's agenda yuh know or it just might be a coincidence but look how they hit us. At our financial headquarters. I'm in Hartford now because of it they want to kill as much as they can and make the rest suffer. They say there is a thin line between a genius and a mad madman. Is it a triple digit loss? I think they will go after the exchange. Protect those exchanges and OTC's

Credits

Well if you all remember a NEW BIN LADEN video #4 i believe in the series came out less than a month ago.!! this was a substancial source of info! the FBI surpressed it and quickly the media killed it but info is still out there.

L. Ranger

Credits

Yup, triple digit...*sigh*
    I think you're right...they really attacking America's financial situtation. Right now, America's debt situation is in dire straits. All those bonds that are being issued that are just backed by the gov's ability to tax...cheese and crackers...

"Out of many, One People"

Credits

I believe these prisoners know the mentality of their superiors and they know when is the best time to hit. We knew it was coming at the games in Atlanta and it came. These people won't stop. no matter what till we feel the same pain they feel. I am not at all sympathic but I think we do need to see all sides and try to understand better.

But anyways who have tickets to the Glow boatride:)

Credits

for anyone that live in miami and saw the sunday miami herald or the sun sentinal,there were talks about the arrest of 2 men one from trinidad and i don't know where the other is from, it claims they were suppose to blow up a FPL power station and poison the water at the water supply plant. incedentially one of these men used to work with american express @ our weston office so there was a letter from our CEO telling us that we were corporating with the authorities about info on this guy. sometimes these people are right in your face and you don't know.

Credits

Yuh know it real sad but we Trini's in every damn thing . They say US is always keeping close tabs on the Muslims in Trini due to their frequent trips to Lebanon .

Credits

[updated:LAST EDITED ON May-22-02 AT 07:52 PM (EST)]
    Not to discuss anything specific to this topic, but
    I wouldn't neccessarily accept anything from domestic news media as gospel. Looking at all sides and trying to find access to other media sources internationally can probably provide different angles on a particular topic. People who leak info to media also have agendas. Some people might not want the stock market to come back so quickly(a whole other story). Also talking to people who recently come from these countries(in media spotlight at the moment) can also bring some sort of clarification to what might really be going on.
    For example, there are those of us here in the U.S. who don't realize that Canada(this may be old news to Canadians) still has issue with the 'accident' that occured recently in Afghanistan where Canadian soldiers were hit by a laser guided bomb(I thought laser guided weapons were accurate). You don't hear much about it in domestic media. Were there some policies that the 2 countries disagreed on? I know Canada and U.S. have very different immigration policies and it became a bigger issue after 9/11. Just reminds me of the 'accident' where the French embassy was bombed during the raid on Tripoli in Libya where the French did not allow U.S. planes to use their airspace. Remember last year when the Chinese embassy was 'accidently' bombed? People have agendas, 'accidents' happen,and the current defendant is not always the real guilty party.
    It's good just to take a step back and try to look at all angles.

Credits

Phil I agree totally with you! You cannot take a lot of what we hear in the U.S. News sometimes as the true story. Sometimes the media can be used for propaganda purposes. I think what really comes to mind for me is the footage that was shown of the Palestinians celebrating in the Middle East after 9/11. How did we know it was not a holiday or some other occasion that was shown. Anyway..we need to be logical thinking when we are given information by the media. We need to analyze it ourselves.

Credits

RE: Word of the Day: Push Breadcart

Credits

Phil I couldn't agree with you more.