Like Tree6Likes
  • 3 Post By Nica
  • 2 Post By sharkie
  • 1 Post By dollbabi

Thread: Irish, Scottish, Italian, Greek VS Just Black

Credits

Irish, Scottish, Italian, Greek VS Just Black

ok this is something that bugs me, this one white girl was rattling on and on about being Irish, German, Scottish, Italian, Greek etc and a whole heap of European nationalities so I said to her "You are just white!", she gasped and looked at me with the most annoyed look. Many white people get to claim all these nationalities while Black people are forced to say they are "just black".

even when Blacks come from the Caribbean, Africa etc, they are forced to conform to being "just Black", so some Blacks feel guilty and conform to this because they feel like some how saying your Nigerian, Ghanian, Jamaican, Trini etc is somehow denying your blackness.

Americans make great distinctions about the different European countries, but Africa is "just Africa".

Whats your take on this?

Credits
    She's breaking down where her people came from, not her race.

Nobody tell black people not to say where their people came from (If they know)

Race and nationality and ethnicity are different but a lot of people try to muddle the three.
    Those Who Sacrifice Freedom for Security Deserve Neither
    www.cookingwithval.com
    http://www.snackhealthy.com/snackwithval
    @cookingwithval
    @NicaBlack

sharkie
    Quote Originally Posted by SWAGGERIFIC View Post
    ok this is something that bugs me, this one white girl was rattling on and on about being Irish, German, Scottish, Italian, Greek etc and a whole heap of European nationalities so I said to her "You are just white!", she gasped and looked at me with the most annoyed look. Many white people get to claim all these nationalities while Black people are forced to say they are "just black".

even when Blacks come from the Caribbean, Africa etc, they are forced to conform to being "just Black", so some Blacks feel guilty and conform to this because they feel like some how saying your Nigerian, Ghanian, Jamaican, Trini etc is somehow denying your blackness.

Americans make great distinctions about the different European countries, but Africa is "just Africa".

Whats your take on this?
    Fact is, I don't know where my ancestors came from in Africa, so I won't be able to say that I'm Ghanian, Nigerian, Kenyan South African.

Compared to her, who can trace her lineage and list the different ethnicities that she's made up from.

I do know where I was born and as a result, I could tell you I'm Trinidadian of Afro descent for the most part. So nothing's wrong there.

But I think you mixing things up and getting mad at the poor girl for no reason.
    SKBai1991 and Nica like this.

Credits
    i say i'm of east indian and african descent.. full stop.. who doh like it could lie down next to it.
    Never waste your time trying to explain who you are to people who are committed to misunderstanding you.

Velvet Glove. Iron Fist

mi style still sharp .....u a A-Minor and dem a B-Flat

Credits
    Sometimes I see black Americans saying things like," I'm mixed with black, Bajan and Jamaican." or "I'm mixed with black and Trinidadian".

Even some white people say things like "I'm mixed with white, Irish and Scottish."

I just laugh. Those are the people that are really confused.

NaturalBornRidah
    Quote Originally Posted by TheEducator View Post
    Sometimes I see black Americans saying things like," I'm mixed with black, Bajan and Jamaican." or "I'm mixed with black and Trinidadian".

Even some white people say things like "I'm mixed with white, Irish and Scottish."

I just laugh. Those are the people that are really confused.
    Well they have the right to, I would think you'd know that whites have their different looks.Irish and Scots have a distinct identity and even a stereotyped look amongst other Europeans.

Jamaicans and Bajans are usually black but they have their own brand of blackness if you will ,since some of those islanders carry their own distinct lineages in their blood especially in Jamaica.

Credits
    Ethnic/cultural distinctions are made for all other groups, especially Hispanics and Asians. However, when it comes to "blacks" then it is an issue of color alone and/or only one ethnic option. Guess she got a taste of that and felt a way about it. If she not someone who thinks that way then that's unfortunate. However, if she is then perhaps it will make her think twice.
    S.A.T.O.R.E-S.A.N likes this.

Credits
    Quote Originally Posted by NaturalBornRidah View Post
    Well they have the right to, I would think you'd know that whites have their different looks.Irish and Scots have a distinct identity and even a stereotyped look amongst other Europeans.

Jamaicans and Bajans are usually black but they have their own brand of blackness if you will ,since some of those islanders carry their own distinct lineages in their blood especially in Jamaica.
    he means that he dont understand why ppl say theyre trini and black as if they are two mutually exclusive things or as if ony black americans are black
    "sa ki ta'w sé ta'w, la rivié pé pa chayé'l "

Father, before mi mind get bad
    Betta yuh flip it round and mek mi mind get mad
    Mi prefer fi work hard everyday fi achieve mi goals
    Nah grudge nobody fi dem own

NaturalBornRidah
    Quote Originally Posted by SKBai1991 View Post
    he means that he dont understand why ppl say theyre trini and black as if they are two mutually exclusive things or as if ony black americans are black
    I don't think you got my post, I already explained and answered that .

ank
    Credits
    Quote Originally Posted by sharkie View Post
    Fact is, I don't know where my ancestors came from in Africa, so I won't be able to say that I'm Ghanian, Nigerian, Kenyan South African.

Compared to her, who can trace her lineage and list the different ethnicities that she's made up from.

I do know where I was born and as a result, I could tell you I'm Trinidadian of Afro descent for the most part. So nothing's wrong there.

But I think you mixing things up and getting mad at the poor girl for no reason.

Credits
    Quote Originally Posted by Mrs. Vega View Post
    Ethnic/cultural distinctions are made for all other groups, especially Hispanics and Asians. However, when it comes to "blacks" then it is an issue of color alone and/or only one ethnic option. Guess she got a taste of that and felt a way about it. If she not someone who thinks that way then that's unfortunate. However, if she is then perhaps it will make her think twice.
    This sums it up.
    Never argue with a fool:
    First they will bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.

100% vincy flow from me morrow, who nah like that go suck on dey bone we nah follow.

No por ke me vean huaraches, piensen ke soy guacalero

Ragga soca ,Claws music and power soca/ps music and bongay music a fu we own

ank
    Credits
    Quote Originally Posted by SWAGGERIFIC View Post

Americans make great distinctions about the different European countries, but Africa is "just Africa".Whats your take on this?
    thats why American is not smart .. at all.

Credits
    somebody saying i'm mixed with black and jamaican makes zero sense to me.. reminds me of this dude one time.. who told me he was mixed.. i ask with what. he then tells me he has family in england.. and i'm like *blank stare* okkkk..
    Never waste your time trying to explain who you are to people who are committed to misunderstanding you.

Velvet Glove. Iron Fist

mi style still sharp .....u a A-Minor and dem a B-Flat