Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: IPOD Warranty? :-(

Credits

IPOD Warranty? :-(

I have to investigate if this is really true. Anyone finding their ipod is having a short life-span???

--------------------------------------------------------------
    ipod grief
    Could be that the most elegant aspect of iPod's design is that its "natural life 'is just a hair longer than the warranty,'" writes Joe Nocera in The New York Times. (2/4/06). Elegant for Apple, that is. For anyone who has shelled out two or three hundred dollars for an iPod without realizing that their expensive new toy might last little more than a year, it's enraging. Joe found this out first-hand when he called Apple about a dead iPod, for which he had paid $300 less than two years ago, and was advised simply to buy himself a new one. "Since it is is out of warranty," he was told, "there's nothing we can do." Well, actually, there is something. If you root around the Apple site, "there's a form you can fill out send the iPod back to Apple and get it fixed" -- for "$250, plus tax." Concludes Joe: "Apple has zero interest in fixing a machine it was quite happy to sell you not so long ago."

Apple has barely more interest in even talking to you on the phone about it. Reason is, those phone calls are expensive -- costing a company like Apple something like 75 cents a minute, according to technology investor Andrew Kessler. Meaning that "one long phone call turns a profitable iPod into an unprofitable one." It's the same situation faced by every other maker of complicated technologies that can break. The extra challenge for Apple is that iPods "are built around a hard drive, a device so sensitive that 'if it takes one shot, that will pretty much kill it,'" says Rob Enderle, a technology consultant. And, as Joe observes, "given how much wear and tear an iPod takes -- is it any wonder that they break?" Issue is, Apple "doesn't say anything about how long you should expect your iPod to last."

According to Steven Williams, a lawyer who brought a class-action suit against Apple because of "the failed battery problem" (when the battery dies, only Apple can replace it), the company acts as though everyone knows that iPods have a short lifespan. Thanks to the lawsuit, it's now possible to get a battery replaced for $65.95, plus tax. Point is: "Apple has been willing to alienate a certain percentage of its customer base forever," says Chip Gleidman of Forrester Research." The reason, he says, is arrogance. "Apple thinks it is special," he says. But that attitude could turn out to be Apple's Achilles' heel: "Consumers are just not conditioned to believe that a $300 or $400 device is disposable," says Larry Keeley of Doblin, Inc. Larry thinks it's probably just a matter of time before Apple's "not our problem" position becomes untenable. "There will be competing platforms, and they'll get robust, and other companies will figure out how to crack iTunes," he predicts. What does Apple have to say about all of this? Hard to say. When Joe Nocera called their PR department, he was promised a reply that didn't make his deadline.

Credits
    great....juss great

Credits
    my friend said her's just shut down last night without reason and just cant get it to turn back on. AND mind you, you only get ONE troubleshoot call, after that they tell you to go online, and see the manual.

Dawtah of the Sun Empressdududahlin's Avatar Empressdududahlin is offline
    Credits
    Kadina girl and just when I was about to get my ipod from the truck!! heehee...

...concrete jungle where dreams are made of...
    Credits
    hmmmm, makes me second guess getting that iPod video.

*researches iriver*
    "Create the highest, grandest vision possible for your life, because you become what you believe." - Oprah Winfrey

"If you keep believing in yourself and seek enthusiasm inside your soul, things will get simpler, more spontaneous." ~Paulo Coelho

"I find your lack of faith disturbing" - Darth Vader

Be the kind of woman that when your feet hit
    the floor each morning the devil says:
    "Oh Crap, She's up!"

Credits
    Quote Originally Posted by Ancientwomyn
    Kadina girl and just when I was about to get my ipod from the truck!! heehee...

LOL. Well we may want to rethink the transaction....
    anyone have a Sony mini-bean?

Pimptress
    apple doesnt not have good customer service...

thats no surprise.

i still love my ipod.

Dawtah of the Sun Empressdududahlin's Avatar Empressdududahlin is offline
    Credits
    Quote Originally Posted by SweetKadina
    LOL. Well we may want to rethink the transaction....
    anyone have a Sony mini-bean?

I have the Sony Stick... and I LOVE IT!!

Satisfaction Facilitator Terryfabulous's Avatar Terryfabulous is offline
    Credits
    I got the extended warranty thing...cause i got screwed when i had my dell dj...so when i got my ipod i always heard about the battery life situation...since i had my ipod it was replaced 3 times with in the space of a year...pretty much a 3-4 day turnover...

Credits
    I jus got into with Apple took me over a month to get my ipod returned to me, the damn thing was ready for over a month but never sent it out apple customer service truly does suck.

Credits
    thats why PSP is the best
    ☆ JUICY ☆

Credits
    Quote Originally Posted by peachescutloose
    thats why PSP is the best
    but u dont own 1

Satisfaction Facilitator Terryfabulous's Avatar Terryfabulous is offline
    Credits
    Quote Originally Posted by boy wonder
    but u dont own 1
    i think i saw her with a cut out picture of one pretending she playing it...

Credits
    Maybe I should just get a damn MP3 player. I don't have much luck with ipods anyways.

Credits
    pleez it seem like they all suck...i have a samsung yh925 20gig cost 300 but the thing only last about 5 hrs before i have to charge it
    ~~When your character is built on spiritual and moral foundations, your contagious way of life will influence millions.~~

Real Eyes
    Realize
    Real Lies

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast