Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast
Like Tree44Likes

Thread: I'm Sorry, But Every Black Actor Doesn't Represent ME!!!

MJ7
    Credits

Cool I'm Sorry, But Every Black Actor Doesn't Represent ME!!!

For some reason, there is this general attitude that every actor/actress of African descent must represent the Black race as a whole.

That may have meant something in the 1960's and 1970's, but in this current generation; I don't want to be associated with many of those who are part of the Hollywood/Celebrity cliques today. Although many of them can and are very talented and interesting; their lives and behavior are not reflective of the convictions that I hold or the community at large, per se.

I know who I am.

There is nothing that Denzel Washington, Steve Harvey, Oprah Winfrey, Tyler Perry, Laurence Fishburne, Whoopi Goldberg, et al., can say or do that defines the character, intellect and spirit of my being better than I can.

Celebrities are nothing more than an extension of the larger community of our people. They are not spokesman or clergy. They represent a conglomerate that is designed to sell illusion. Nothing more.

When their actions condemn them; the media is quick to come to our community and ask our reaction. As is the case with Tiger Woods. But for those of us who PAY ATTENTION; Tiger Woods condemned himself over 15 years ago on Oprah when he stated that he did not consider himself Black. He looked directly at Oprah and stated that he liked to refer to himself as a "CAUBLINASIAN." And in an audience filled with Black folks mind you. Thus, when he got caught with his pants down with all of those poor white COCKtail waitresses--who just happened to get very rich after scandalizing him...causing his divorce from his very blond Swedish wife; the Black community reminded Tiger of what he said to Oprah in 1997, and thanked him sincerely. For once, this one wasn't on us.

African history is far deeper than what Hollywood could possibly portray, but Hollywood doesn't like Black people and doesn't mind reminding us of that.

Thus, I contend that Black people need to stop looking to celebrities in general as a means of identity of who we are. But we need to always make Black celebrities accountable if what they represent to the media contradicts who and what we truly are as a people.

Can you dig it?
    NaturalBornRidah likes this.
    Get your copy!!! A Journey Into The Mind of a Black Woman is now available at: https://www.createspace.com/3739335 and Amazon.com. Come check out my blog: The Uppity Sistah! at: http://theuppitysistah.blogspot.com/

Credits
    I dunno who would hold that attitude or why.

Secondly, why don't people get off of Tiger? The man shares a term that he made up when he was 12 as a joke and nuff black people still cannot get over it. Why? His mother is Asian. Did he say he identifies as Asian? No. He is of mixed background and has a different cultural experience. He was raised Buddhist for crying out loud. How many "black" people have that experience? People just need to stop. Further, Tiger is a golfer, not an actor.
    Nica, mz_JazE, agroDOLCE and 1 others like this.

Credits
    In fact those who look to celebrities for examples of stalwarts of black causes and models of behavior consistent with building up the community will be sorely disappointed over and over again.
    dollbabi, Nica, MJ7 and 3 others like this.

MJ7
    Credits

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by Mrs. Vega View Post
    I dunno who would hold that attitude or why.

Secondly, why don't people get off of Tiger? The man shares a term that he made up when he was 12 as a joke and nuff black people still cannot get over it. Why? His mother is Asian. Did he say he identifies as Asian? No. He is of mixed background and has a different cultural experience. He was raised Buddhist for crying out loud. How many "black" people have that experience? People just need to stop. Further, Tiger is a golfer, not an actor.

If you're not of African descent, SHUT UP!
    Get your copy!!! A Journey Into The Mind of a Black Woman is now available at: https://www.createspace.com/3739335 and Amazon.com. Come check out my blog: The Uppity Sistah! at: http://theuppitysistah.blogspot.com/

Credits
    Quote Originally Posted by MJ7 View Post

um since when Mrs. Vega not of African descent?

if we counting percentages she more than likely has more African than you!! MJ TAKE A SEAT!!!
    mz_JazE, agroDOLCE and dollbabi like this.
    And keep your money, I got my own
    Keep a bigger smile on my face, being alone
    Bad motherfcuker, God complex
    Motivate your ass call me Malcolm X

MJ7
    Credits

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by triniameri View Post
    um since when Mrs. Vega not of African descent?

if we counting percentages she more than likely has more African than you!! MJ TAKE A SEAT!!!
    I guess we all should post our percentage of African blood as not to deter from the discussion.

Ya think...

DSP
    Credits
    Was this 'controversial' thread created as a promotional gimick for the event in the flyer? Please say it wasn't.
    Triniminx likes this.
    Unfortunately, stupidity and ignorance can be entertaining.

Goodle this you 50 year old crusty vagina

--oh yes jigger boozers ever lasting wahr with the "lovers of empresses and hafrican queens" should be ashamed ~jigga boozy aka Carlo Pagan

--I like disrespect especially ones that dont involve cursing and nugga nugga nugga watch subject matter ~jigga boozy aka Carlo Pagan

MJ7
    Credits

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by DSP View Post
    Was this 'controversial' thread created as a promotional gimick for the event in the flyer? Please say it wasn't.

No.

It just fit the topic.

DSP
    Credits
    No.

It just fit the topic.
    lol
    Unfortunately, stupidity and ignorance can be entertaining.

Goodle this you 50 year old crusty vagina

--oh yes jigger boozers ever lasting wahr with the "lovers of empresses and hafrican queens" should be ashamed ~jigga boozy aka Carlo Pagan

--I like disrespect especially ones that dont involve cursing and nugga nugga nugga watch subject matter ~jigga boozy aka Carlo Pagan

Credits

You should not be so hostile and defensive because she posted her opinion.
    agroDOLCE likes this.

Credits
    1. i don't think that most blacks subscribe to the idea that black celebrities represent blacks on a whole. i don't think most PEOPLE in general subscribe to the idea that celebrities represent themselves.

2. i don't see an issue with Tiger Woods labeling himself as caublinasian or whatever he said he was. just b/c he doesn't want to fit in the box that most try to put everyone in, i don't see issue. he is incorporating all parts of his identity when he says he's caublinasian.
    dollbabi likes this.

MJ7
    Credits

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by mz_JazE View Post
    You should not be so hostile and defensive because she posted her opinion.
    Oh, lord, forgive me...I'm sorry.

Pebbles362436 likes this.

MJ7
    Credits

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by agroDOLCE View Post
    1. i don't think that most blacks subscribe to the idea that black celebrities represent blacks on a whole. i don't think most PEOPLE in general subscribe to the idea that celebrities represent themselves.

2. i don't see an issue with Tiger Woods labeling himself as caublinasian or whatever he said he was. just b/c he doesn't want to fit in the box that most try to put everyone in, i don't see issue. he is incorporating all parts of his identity when he says he's caublinasian.
    That's what they all say, until something happens and the group they aspire validation from kicks them out of the club and they find themselves, naked, abandoned and condemned by them.

LOL@TigerCaublinasianWoods.
    LIONESS onda RISE likes this.

Credits
    That's what they all say, until something happens and the group they aspire validation from kicks them out of the club and they find themselves, naked, abandoned and condemned by them.

LOL@TigerCaublinasianWoods.
    Well if that's the case who cares?
    "sa ki ta'w sé ta'w, la rivié pé pa chayé'l "

Father, before mi mind get bad
    Betta yuh flip it round and mek mi mind get mad
    Mi prefer fi work hard everyday fi achieve mi goals
    Nah grudge nobody fi dem own

Credits
    I guess we all should post our percentage of African blood as not to deter from the discussion.

Ya think...
    You have been a member of this board since 2009 certainly you should know her background by now... I was just amazed that you would say something so ignorant to her

...FYI it is common knowledge Africans consider AA's watered down (which we are) and consider us a bastard race...I guarantee Mrs. Vega African ancestry is higher than both yours and mine combined

that is all...KEEP CALM and CARRY ON
    And keep your money, I got my own
    Keep a bigger smile on my face, being alone
    Bad motherfcuker, God complex
    Motivate your ass call me Malcolm X

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast