Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: I don't mean to open a can of worms, but...

Credits

I don't mean to open a can of worms, but...

The weekend before last (May 19) the Haitians had Flag Day in Brooklyn. It was a tiny likkle parade and celebration. This past weekend, to my surprise de whole a Nostrand Avenue have barricade like what dey pon Eastern Parkway for Labor Day. Now I am not trying to be malicious or hating on anyone, but why do the Haitians get a separate parade and Flag Day? How can they afford to have major streets in Brooklyn shut down two Sundays in a row just for them?

Is it because there is not enough effort to include them in West Indian activities?
    Or is it because they WANT to be separate?

I've tried asking my brother-in-law about this an all he can say is "Dat just way it is"...Anybody have any other conclusions?

"Out of many, One People"

Credits

RE: I don't mean to open a can of worms, but...

Well, have any other Island organizations tried to have their own parade? Has the Jamaican community ever tried to have their own flag day. I think before we talk about it we should find out if there is a bias ting ah gwan.

Credits

Well,
    I wasn't necessarily talkin about Jamaica...Even if the other islands didn't try to have a parade, I want to know why the Haitians feel like the need for a separate one...
    I dunno, I always see them with their truck on the parkway, so I just always assumed that they were included in the West Indian community, but maybe I am in the dark on it. To be honest, I don't really see them much at soca fetes or reggae parties (unless they there an' not representin' as such).

Credits

It shows the power of organization. Them people get they own parade. I love it I hope to go next year and jump up to that song Krosfyah performed

Credits

Topclass,

I know that recently you will find a lot more Haitian people at soca fetes. Believe me they does real represent too, both in New York and other states. As a matter of fact I was tiefin ah wine from a nice Haitain man Sunday in de ark ;-)

Credits

well I happened to walk out on Nostrand Sunday, and catch one set ah people with Haitian flags, and holding up some banners...now I doh know if I miss the parade or what, but was that all it was or was there more?

I doh know how or who organize, but I'm sure if any island wanted to have they own thing they could do it. I know in Montreal for example they have a Jamaica day, and a separate Trinidad day so maybe it's just up to the individual communities. Maybe they feel Labor day just ain't enough for them I guess...

SOCA

Credits

Haitian and Soca...??? bwoy yuh should see dem in Miami... They had international flag day last weekend (May 18) in Miami also, so I am thinking maybe the parade in New York and the bashment they had in Miami, coincides with some sort of holiday in Haiti.

She looks like a flower
    but....
    Stings like a bee...

Credits

Do we have any Haitians in here or is only Poca?
    I want to know if dey feel like dey are represented and included in the West Indian community.
    Personally, I don't know nuttin bout de popular Haitian singers and performers...I only know mi brother-in-law used to kill me wid de music early every Sunday mornin'.
    While it is easy for me (and probably a lot of folks) to name famous people from other islands, the only name dat come to my mind is Aristide. Is this true for anybody else?

Credits

Well I know two of the popular Haitian artists are Sweet Mickey and Tabou Combo. Haitians love soca! Anyone remember Mario, Mario from like ten years ago (i think it's Tabou Combo)

Believe me about a quarter of de people in them fetes are probably Haitian. When I lived in Brooklyn, some of the Haitian people in my building were going to the soca fetes, but you never knew they were Haitian b/c they didn't walk with Haitian flags. Some either walked with no flag or Trini flags !

Credits

The only Haitian artists I could name are Tabou Combo, Sweet Mickey, and T-Vice...doh know much else about they music.

SOCA

Credits

Every year the Haitian community holds flag day a week before their independence weekend. Since flatbush community has a strong haitian presence Wyclef Jean puts the block party together along with leaders in the community. If you notice there are alot of countries who have there own parades especially around there countries independence. In the next couple of weeks you will see or hear about the Puerto Rican day parade, Cuban, Phillippino and Greeks all celebrating there heritage. It is a shame that our caribbean community couldn't pull together long enough to celebrate our own islands and countries outside of Labor Day. Maybe we could get something going?

Credits

See, that's just the thing. I don't think there should be a separate parade for each island. To me that is just feeding into the divide and conquer mentality...Right now, the WI Day Parade is the biggest fundraiser for New York. I think by having separate parade, it would water down the impact of the Labor Day Parade, and would be a great justification for us not getting valuable resources put into our community.
    It is already difficult enough to get the needs of the WI community met right now (yuh cyan even find demographic information for us) when we throwing the largest parade in North America. Can you imagine what will happen when that parade lose some of its clout cause all de islands decide dat they want to throw their own thing?

Credits

I understand what you are saying. But I don't think there is anything wrong with appreciating our own countries and islands individually. There are some many elements in our respected places of birth that makes us who we are separately. Labor Day is not even a cultural holiday for the west indians why was that day chosen to celebrate our culture?

engineroom

yes "Mario Mario" is Tabou Combo and is a wicked song.

One thought to put into the middle of this is the following:

Everyone from the English speaking Caribbean basically knows reggae and soca and will jam to either. Everyone from the non-English speaking Caribbean also knows reggae and to a lesser extent soca, and will also jam to either. BUT, I will say that a significant portion of English speaking Caribbean persons do not not anything much about zouk, kadence, compah, salsa, merengue, etc. and you will never hear it in a Jamaica/Trini/Bajan/etc. party nor will most of these folks ever be going to Haitian/Cuban/Martinican/etc. parties.

So the relationship has some imbalances.

er

prettidolli16t

[updated:LAST EDITED ON May-29-02 AT 10:38 AM (EST)]Prettidolli

Yes, Haitians can organize themselves well, but in my opinion they can STAY separate. Yes, folks I DID say that!!!! (Sorry, Poca, but I'm bold enough to express exactly how I feel......many others can't do that.) The many Haitians I have spoken to believe they are a separate entity from the rest of the Caribbean, but I haven't interviewed ALL Haitians. And another thing.............Why on earth would any RED-Blooded Haitian carry a Trini flag?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast