Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree11Likes

Thread: How early to start protecting your child's online identity?

Credits

How early to start protecting your child's online identity?

These parents started before the child was even born. They make me feel completely inadequate and irresponsible :sad: I never even paid attention to this "facial recognition" thing though I've seen it in action when I tag ppl on FB

Last week, Facebook updated its privacy policy again. It reads in part: “We are able to suggest that your friend tag you in a picture by scanning and comparing your friend’s pictures to information we’ve put together from your profile pictures and the other photos in which you’ve been tagged.” Essentially, this means that with each photo upload, Kate’s parents are, unwittingly, helping Facebook to merge her digital and real worlds. Algorithms will analyze the people around Kate, the references made to them in posts, and over time will determine Kate’s most likely inner circle.
    The problem is that Facebook is only one site. With every status update, YouTube video, and birthday blog post, Kate’s parents are preventing her from any hope of future anonymity.
    That poses some obvious challenges for Kate’s future self. It’s hard enough to get through puberty. Why make hundreds of embarrassing, searchable photos freely available to her prospective homecoming dates? If Kate’s mother writes about a negative parenting experience, could that affect her ability to get into a good college? We know that admissions counselors review Facebook profiles and a host of other websites and networks in order to make their decisions.
    There’s a more insidious problem, though, which will haunt Kate well into the adulthood. Myriad applications, websites, and wearable technologies are relying on face recognition today, and ubiquitous bio-identification is only just getting started. In 2011, a group of hackers built an app that let you scan faces and immediately display their names and basic biographical details, right there on your mobile phone. Already developers have made a working facial recognition API for Google Glass. While Google has forbidden official facial recognition apps, it can’t prevent unofficial apps from launching. There’s huge value in gaining real-time access to view detailed information the people with whom we interact.
    The easiest way to opt-out is to not create that digital content in the first place, especially for kids. Kate’s parents haven’t just uploaded one or two photos of her: They’ve created a trove of data that will enable algorithms to learn about her over time. Any hopes Kate may have had for true anonymity ended with that ballet class YouTube channel.
    Knowing what we do about how digital content and data are being cataloged, my husband and I made an important choice before our daughter was born. We decided that we would never post any photos or other personally identifying information about her online. Instead, we created a digital trust fund.
    The process started in earnest as we were selecting her name. We’d narrowed the list down to a few alternatives and ran each (and their variants) through domain and keyword searches to see what was available. Next, we crawled through Google to see what content had been posted with those name combinations, and we also looked to see if a Gmail address was open.
    We turned to KnowEm.com, a website I often rely on to search for usernames, even though the site is primarily intended as a brand registration service. We certainly had a front-runner for her name, but we would have chosen something different if the KnowEm results produced limited availability or if we found negative content associated with our selection.
    With her name decided, we spent several hours registering her URL and a vast array of social media sites. All of that tied back to a single email account, which would act as a primary access key. We listed my permanent email address as a secondary—just as you’d fill out financial paperwork for a minor at a bank. We built a password management system for her to store all of her login information.
    On the day of her birth, our daughter already had accounts at Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, and even Github. And to this day, we’ve never posted any content.
    All accounts are kept active but private. We also regularly scour the networks of our friends and family and remove any tags. Those who know us well understand and respect our “no posts about the kid” rule.
    When we think she’s mature enough (an important distinction from her being technically old enough), we’ll hand her an envelope with her master password inside. She’ll have the opportunity to start cashing in parts of her digital identity, and we’ll ensure that she’s making informed decisions about what’s appropriate to reveal about herself, and to whom.
    Rest of article here: Facebook privacy and kids: Don’t post photos of your kids online. - Slate Magazine
    "Those who are able to see beyond the shadows and lies of their culture will never be understood, let alone believed, by the masses." -Plato

"god is the deification of a culture."
    -Dr Yosef ben-Jochannan

Credits
    the world is becoming depressing....i had a friend that used to say "technology is evil" and i used to dismiss it as a hippie like mentality....but i truly see what she was saying so many years ago...it is completely redefining how we live

a one dimensional virtual identity, is becoming more valid than a persons true identity
    you ALL AGREE with my opinion, which is why NONE of you ever EFFECTIVELY DISPUTE IT

you ONLY have faith in the WOMEN'S ability to ELEVATE which is why you only FOCUS ON WOMEN...you ALL have long given up on Black men

you just don't have the BALLS to OVERTLY AGREE....rather just do it INDIRECTLY

weak men only can deal with weaker women

in the presence of strength you diminish...

Credits
    Quote Originally Posted by NikkiGiovanni View Post
    the world is becoming depressing....i had a friend that used to say "technology is evil" and i used to dismiss it as a hippie like mentality....but i truly see what she was saying so many years ago...it is completely redefining how we live

a one dimensional virtual identity, is becoming more valid than a persons true identity
    So true. Everything you do online is taken with absolute seriousness..I guess its only us who grew up before social networking that refuse to accept that IRL and online have no defined boundaries anymore.
    "Those who are able to see beyond the shadows and lies of their culture will never be understood, let alone believed, by the masses." -Plato

-Dr Yosef ben-Jochannan

Credits
    Quote Originally Posted by BacchanalDiva View Post
    So true. Everything you do online is taken with absolute seriousness..I guess its only us who grew up before social networking that refuse to accept that IRL and online have no defined boundaries anymore.
    that is what IRKS me the most....it's like everything is so LITERAL....people don't know how to widen their scope of understanding to try to see and get a full picture...the scope of perceptions gets narrower, minds get narrower...and the battle of truth and lies and real and fake becomes perpetual...this creating a schizophrenic existence for everyone trying to balance both worlds because they both are so necessary

a part of me feels that pretty soon "the real world" will no longer exist, and human contact will be a phrase that evokes nostalgia
    you ALL AGREE with my opinion, which is why NONE of you ever EFFECTIVELY DISPUTE IT

you ONLY have faith in the WOMEN'S ability to ELEVATE which is why you only FOCUS ON WOMEN...you ALL have long given up on Black men

Credits
    In my opinion the most disturbing fact is that society cannot understand that people have a everyday life and a professional life. The same way that we were thought that there is a time and place to be casual and a time and place to be professional. There is nothing wrong for someone to go crazy and get drunk every weekend if on monday they go to work and do what they have to do.

At the end of the day, none of those background checks offline and online will prevent tie wearing scrupulous criminals to scam us every they can.
    Chen ki japé pa mòde!

Credits
    Quote Originally Posted by Poca! View Post
    In my opinion the most disturbing fact is that society cannot understand that people have a everyday life and a professional life. The same way that we were thought that there is a time and place to be casual and a time and place to be professional. There is nothing wrong for someone to go crazy and get drunk every weekend if on monday they go to work and do what they have to do.

At the end of the day, none of those background checks offline and online will prevent tie wearing scrupulous criminals to scam us every they can.
    very true....that's why i don't see why your online identity should be used to define you...but it only does to people that allow it

it's like using the company christmas party as a gauge of who someone is on a whole...nobody does that....if that was the case, all the top execs would never be top execs....so why should someone judge you from the one dimensional perspective that is online reality?

Credits
    Quote Originally Posted by NikkiGiovanni View Post
    that is what IRKS me the most....it's like everything is so LITERAL....people don't know how to widen their scope of understanding to try to see and get a full picture...the scope of perceptions gets narrower, minds get narrower...and the battle of truth and lies and real and fake becomes perpetual...this creating a schizophrenic existence for everyone trying to balance both worlds because they both are so necessary

a part of me feels that pretty soon "the real world" will no longer exist, and human contact will be a phrase that evokes nostalgia
    Its ridiculous. I just got a new phone today after being without one for almost 3 weeks...long story short, I moved, broke my phone during the move, ordered a new one and it was delivered to old address, returned and order cancelled blah blah blah..called a friend today and subject comes up about a friend who was told 2 weeks ago that he had 5 months to a year (cancer) and this friend tells me that she and others thought I had "disconnected" since I hadn't been in any of the FB convos. FB convo's? I've been at the hospital, I've been driving his parents back and forth since they're here from out of state, I went to this guys house and cleaned before he got released from hospital last week but everyone thought I was MIA because they didn't see me post anything on FB. SMH that people think they know what's going on in your life by your FB statuses or lack of.

-Dr Yosef ben-Jochannan

Credits

True. IE if you choose to only post party pics and keep other aspects of your life private, you must only party 24/7 so why would anyone want to hire you? I want to laugh but its real and this is how our kids will be judged.

-Dr Yosef ben-Jochannan

Credits
    This kind of mentality only foster secrecies and lies rather than openness and acceptance. It's quite a puritain to only want people to show the "proper" even if you know that they are from it. That is why there were so many abuses back in the days because no one wanted to see what someone is really about as long as they project a good image.
    NikkiGiovanni likes this.
    Chen ki japé pa mòde!

Credits
    yes.. i agree with keeping children's personal information off social media.... if you as an adult, feel to put your every waking move online that is your prerogative but i think that minors should be left out of the equation until they are able to consent, for the most part.. an occasional pic is fine, but some of the pics that people put online of their children really leads me to wonder if they realize that one day these children will grow up and may or may not be pleased to find themselves exposed on the internet...

i myself have been asked how come i doh post pics of me drinking and whatnot in parties.. i was like :.. daiz a rank now?
    Never waste your time trying to explain who you are to people who are committed to misunderstanding you.

Velvet Glove. Iron Fist

mi style still sharp .....u a A-Minor and dem a B-Flat

Credits
    True. IE if you choose to only post party pics and keep other aspects of your life private, you must only party 24/7 so why would anyone want to hire you? I want to laugh but its real and this is how our kids will be judged.

but it's not only job, it's people in your life too....it's almost like you have to justify and prove yourself to be a whole person, to people that made the CHOICE to use social media as the their biggest gauge of a person's identity....

i had a friend tell me once that i should project more positive things on fb because i come across looking a certain way, and she knows that i have another side that many people don't see.....and i told her, i post whatever is on my mind....nothing i do is deliberate and calculated....people that know me, know me....and those that don't...well if they use social media as a way to determine who they think i am then they are absolutely ridiculous...it gets rather frustrating, watching the people around you conform to the narrow box, and me having to fight to just be me and be real..because they are expecting me to conform to the narrow box like the rest of the world
    ladyrastafari likes this.

Credits
    Quote Originally Posted by ladyrastafari View Post
    yes.. i agree with keeping children's personal information off social media.... if you as an adult, feel to put your every waking move online that is your prerogative but i think that minors should be left out of the equation until they are able to consent, for the most part.. an occasional pic is fine, but some of the pics that people put online of their children really leads me to wonder if they realize that one day these children will grow up and may or may not be pleased to find themselves exposed on the internet...
    I always thought I did well cause I only post a few bday pics, her playing mas, in the backyard playing, silly faces w/ her big bro etc. Never ever did things like bathtub pics even as a newborn. I sometimes post funny things she says or does..just cause its so cute or precocious I wanna share it..but even those things are like once every few months. This chick on the other hand is saying nothing at all and the part that gets me is securing her identity down to a gmail address before she was even born. They even checked their choice of name for negative online content before going with it. Makes me want to hang my head in shame.

-Dr Yosef ben-Jochannan

Credits
    This kind of mentality only foster secrecies and lies rather than openness and acceptance. It's quite a puritain to only want people to show the "proper" even if you know that they are from it. That is why there were so many abuses back in the days because no one wanted to see what someone is really about as long as they project a good image.
    but do you see the irony?????

as MUCH as people OPENLY BLAST ON FRONT STREET, on social media....they are still HIDING!!!!!!!

Credits
    i totally agree.. i allow people to be themselves on their FB, once you don't come on MY wall with your crazy shit then all is well.. i think i had a status up the other day asking dudes if they have a problem with women hanging panties in the shower (due to something i had read in a FB group) and people were back and forth arguing about the merits of shower panty washing.. and then my mother came and posted somewhere along the lines of "hmm you sure do know how to make people take up a side"..... and she went about her business...
    Never waste your time trying to explain who you are to people who are committed to misunderstanding you.

Velvet Glove. Iron Fist

mi style still sharp .....u a A-Minor and dem a B-Flat

LB
    Credits
    Its ridiculous. I just got a new phone today after being without one for almost 3 weeks...long story short, I moved, broke my phone during the move, ordered a new one and it was delivered to old address, returned and order cancelled blah blah blah..called a friend today and subject comes up about a friend who was told 2 weeks ago that he had 5 months to a year (cancer) and this friend tells me that she and others thought I had "disconnected" since I hadn't been in any of the FB convos. FB convo's? I've been at the hospital, I've been driving his parents back and forth since they're here from out of state, I went to this guys house and cleaned before he got released from hospital last week but everyone thought I was MIA because they didn't see me post anything on FB. SMH that people think they know what's going on in your life by your FB statuses or lack of.

Ironic thing is NONE of the people saying this think to simply pick up the phone and give you a call to see how you are indeed doing.
    ~ If you make the mountain any bigger you wont be able to move it later

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast