Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How do west indians feel about american tourists?

Credits

How do west indians feel about american tourists?

One of my friends went to Trinidad with a club from his school last year. The night before they left, some trinis broke into where they were stayin and raided thier rooms and wrote go home americans on the wall. Then i was talkin to this guy about his vacation in barbados. He said when he was sleeping,some bajans came into his room and was stealing his things. He said he woke up when they were stealing his things but he was scared they would have beat him up if he would have said something so he pretended to still be sleep. So i wanna know how do people in the caribbean feel american tourists?

elq
    Credits
    Travel Warnings are issued when the State Department decides, based on all relevant information, to recommend that Americans avoid travel to a certain country. Countries where avoidance of travel is recommended will have Travel Warnings as well as Consular Information Sheets. You may also want to review specific country Background Notes:

http://travel.state.gov/travel/cis_p...a_tw_1168.html

Credits
    I have visited a lot of islands and have never had a problem staying at any of my apartments, hotels, or guesthouses. Just choose where you stay carefully, and don't act an ass.

Credits
    i never had problems visiting carribean islands.

Credits
    Quote Originally Posted by Lilsavage
    One of my friends went to Trinidad with a club from his school last year. The night before they left, some trinis broke into where they were stayin and raided thier rooms and wrote go home americans on the wall. Then i was talkin to this guy about his vacation in barbados. He said when he was sleeping,some bajans came into his room and was stealing his things. He said he woke up when they were stealing his things but he was scared they would have beat him up if he would have said something so he pretended to still be sleep. So i wanna know how do people in the caribbean feel american tourists?
    WOW. I've visted many carribean islands and have never ever had that expereince.
    Quite the opposite, actually.

Credits
    Quote Originally Posted by herbaltees
    WOW. I've visted many carribean islands and have never ever had that expereince.
    Quite the opposite, actually.

I'm really surprised. I've been to several islands and have never had a problem. I have (most of the time) found the people extremely friendly and warm. A coupla of years ago while on a cruise, we stopped in PR and a couple that was on the ship got mugged and robbed. I wondered where they went that most of the travelers did not go. Also, while in JA, we went to Kingston and one of my friends (who is Jamacian) told me to take out a pair of large gold earrings that I had on. She said they would reach in and snatch them right out of my ears! I did as I was told, but never experienced any of these things.

Credits
    He LUCKEE dat de Bajan didn't RIDE he.

But on a SERIOUS NOTE, I am LEERY of the PRESENCE of too MANY FOREIGNERS on our SHORES.

I know it is good for the ECONOMY, but I am concern that their PRESENCE, socially, would bring more NEGATIVES to the VINCYLAND moreso than POSITIVES.

I feel that the GOVERNMENT of the day should be MINDFUL of this and make sure that mechanisms are in place, preferably legislations, as a PREVENTION measure, thus insuring that these negatives do not corrupt the SOCIETY.
    Last edited by VINCYPOWA; 12-16-2005 at 06:15 PM.

Credits
    Quote Originally Posted by VINCYPOWA

But on a SERIOUS NOTE, I am LEERY of the PRESENCE of too MANY FOREIGNERS on our SHORES.

I know it is good for the ECONOMY, but I am concern that the PRESENCE, socially, would bring more NEGATIVES to the VINCYLAND moreso than POSITIVES.

I feel that the GOVERNMENT of the day should be MINDFUL of this and make sure that mechanisms are in place, preferably legislations, as a PREVENTION measure, thus insuring that these negatives do not corrupt the SOCIETY.

But isn't it true that there are some areas that tourist don't go atall? In other words there are usually only certain places/things that most islands suggest to tourists. I guess that why certain cruiselines and other travel companies, etc. are buying and/or building islands for tourist?

Credits
    Quote Originally Posted by chocklitt
    But isn't it true that there are some areas that tourist don't go atall? In other words there are usually only certain places/things that most islands suggest to tourists. I guess that why certain cruiselines and other travel companies, etc. are buying and/or building islands for tourist?
    In St. Vincent and the Grenadines they go all over.

Our SOCIETY hasn't reached the POINT where TOURISTS are afraid to venture in certain places on the mainland or beyond.

Credits

:

Credits
    wow! i neva heard of dis b4.
    usually the islanders welcome the american tourist because they are competing for their U.S. dollars.

but who are these islanders considering americans?

Credits
    In St. Vincent and the Grenadines they go all over.

Our SOCIETY hasn't reached the POINT where TOURISTS are afraid to venture in certain places on the mainland or beyond.
    Oh, okay. When ppl visit island they need to take care of it so that we'll be welcome back.

Credits

The Barbados incident could have been anyone. American or another West Indian. Like Rummy said, it's all about research and where you chose to stay.

There is a stigma that American tourists must work with. You see it often, Americans coming to a small country (not just the West Indies) and they are being loud and obnoxious and asking for everything to be quoted in US dollars. Being demanding and comparing everything in that country to America. Speaking slowly to people who know English very well. These are just a few examples of what has left a bitter taste in the mouths of many citizens and governments of other countries.

Even though it is good for the economy, I would rather not so many Americans come to Barbados.
    Last edited by XtasyReds; 12-16-2005 at 08:10 PM.

Credits
    Quote Originally Posted by chocklitt
    Oh, okay. When ppl visit island they need to take care of it so that we'll be welcome back.
    If you come to St. Vincent and the Grenadines, I GUARANTEE that you will want to COME back.

The PLACE is simply BEAUTIFUL and unspoiled, and we're the most FRIENDLY and HUMBLE people in the Caribbean.

Credits
    If you come to St. Vincent and the Grenadines, I GUARANTEE that you will want to COME back.

The PLACE is simply BEAUTIFUL and unspoiled, and we're the most FRIENDLY and HUMBLE people in the Caribbean.

Thx for the invite dahling. . . Ima definitely come see for myself.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast