Thread: How do Caribbean peeps really feel about shaggy?

Credits

How do Caribbean peeps really feel about shaggy?

Is this the kind of people that we really want promoting our culture. Respect is deserved for him getting West Indian music better recognition, and respect due for him selling cd's worldwide and so forth, BUT there is a too commercial appeal with this guy, Let us all not forget the fact that he opened the doors for Nsync which is bad enough considering he should have given up and coming artists from the Caribbean a shot at this spot. But, the major thing about this guy's fame is really why the hell is he where he is when he really is on the bottom of the list for talent among Jamaican artists. He is already being compared with the late great Bob Marley, Is this not the biggest shame to humanity ever heard? What a joke, Bob Marley was a prophet who promoted the rastafarian movement through his music. How can you compare "Africa Unite" and "Songs of Freedom" to "It wasn't me" and "Twist and Shout". The only message one get's from Shaggys music is how to party and be a player. Can someone explain why Buju Banton or Capleton have not reached the same success with their music when these are the poets we should be backing up, not a Pop act like Shaggy.

Credits

RE: How do Caribbean peeps really feel about shaggy?

I doan think Shaggy is representing me; Shaggy is representing himself. I doan really have any explanations, but what I can say is

'Good' music in North America tends to be determined by the media (not that there is no element of that in the Caribbean), so people tend to jump at what the stations tell them to like...ie Shaggy

Also local artists would find it harder to break through because of thick non-understandable accents n dialect. And there is local issues that may not be applicable to overseas.

this is only me ignorant opinion doe...what do i know?

P.S. sex sells

-----------------------------------------------------------------
    Soca music lives through you, so tek care of yuhself
    ichard

Credits

[font size="1" color="#FF0000"]LAST EDITED ON Sep-10-01 AT 09:04 AM (EST)[/font][p]I brought this topic up on WLIB before, but since then I kinda have a new perspective on it. It is really hard to deal with the fact that our Caribben artists have to crossover in order to make it big. The rest of the world is not given a chance to really experience the true essence of Caribbean culture by doing so. Caribbean music is an artform that needs to be appreciated, personally, only in it's truest form, not by crossing over. On the other hand, you have to understand the personal issues some of these artists have. Shaggy for instance has been around for a little while and maybe wasn't making the kinda money he felt he should have, maybe he felt the only way to make it was to crossover (apparently that worked because he raking in the dough). unfortunately, these are the kinda artists that do represent us. I think it's very wrong that people might compare him to Bob Marley. There is absolutely no comparison there.

(Hopefully mih boy Machel go show them what it really about!):-)

God Bless!

Credits

Its funny you said hopefully Machel will show dem how to do it... I hold my breath waiting for this, I hope so too for the sake and integrity of Soca music.... I hope and pray that Virgin does not make Machel into Shaggy, but they paid him 1 million dollars to do this project and ah doh really tink deh pay him all dis money to produce good soca music, because Machel was doing dat before Virgin Records... Anyway...... As for Shaggy.... everyone has a price... what I hope he will do is project with some real reggae/dancehall artist, like Buju, Sizzla, Capelton etc and use his popularity to get those guys recognized.

Like someone said on another post, this crossover thing is always onesided... Here is Foxy Brown performing in our Carnival in Miami... yuh THINK Square One going to open for Ms. Brown on her next tour...?????

Credits

I have faith that Mr.Montano will be the one to show them what soca is really about. I really do. Not only is he ridiculously talented and smart, but he has never lost his appreciation for his rich Trinidadian/Caribbean culture (which others seem to think diminshed because of his collaborations with reggae artists). I will do my all to support his music by not buying bootleg and by attending every single show that I can attend. See this is the only way these artists make it, with our total and undying support. We can't look to buy the bootleg copy of their music becuase we don't want to spend the extra $5. If you truly love soca/reggae, go out and buy the real thing, man.

God Bless!

amprincess

RE: On behalf of Sesame Flyers International...

Credits

well said...if u want real soca to live on...u gotta buy the real stuff...simple as dat...yuh get wha yuh put in

-----------------------------------------------------------------
    Soca music lives through you, so tek care of yuhself
    ichard