Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Homeless Man Finds Money and Returns It......But What Did He Get???

Credits

Homeless Man Finds Money and Returns It......But What Did He Get???

Did a Homeless Man Get Cheated on Finder's Fee?
    By Tracy Stokes, BET.com Staff Writer & Wire Services

Posted July 26, 2006 – What would you do if you were homeless and poor and found a fortune in the trash?

Some might say, "Finders keepers." But Charles Moore, a 59-year-old homeless Detroit man, made the choice to return the nearly $21,000 he found in the trash to its rightful owners -- and in return got the unexpected.

It all started last week when Moore was searching for returnable bottles in a trash bin. Homeless since he lost his job as a roofer six weeks ago, Moore found nearly $21,000 worth of saving bonds inside a jacket that had been thrown away, The Detroit News reported.

He took the bonds to the Neighborhood Service Organization shelter, where he had been staying, and staff members there helped him to track down the rightful owners and returned the bonds on his behalf.

So what was Moore's reward for his honesty? $100

Of course the reward that he got didn’t go over too well with many folks in Detroit, so folks in Motown city, and all of the country for that matter, are giving Moore their own rewards.

Two Detroit business owners gave him $1,200, new clothes, some kicks and a job lead. Others have donated thousands of dollars as well, ABC News reported.

"People that do good deeds ought to be recognized," one business owner said.
    Charles said that he could hardly believe his good fortune.

"I don't know what to say," Charles said choking back his tears, "I'm overwhelmed," he said, adding that the best policy is indeed honesty, "honesty pays off."

Do you think $100 is a good reward for returning $21,000? Should he have returned the money?

Credits
    same thing I was saying... only $100? please and de man homeless?

Credits
    $100 steups... cheap ppl
    de ORIGINAL ...

"What others think about you is none of your business"...

-unknown.

Credits
    That shows you the greedy world we live in. To have $21,000 in savings bond I am sure they were nice off, yet the man is homeless and you show him thanks by offering him chump change.

Credits
    Honesty does pay off . That insult he got for doing the right thing opened new doors for him. Thanks to the Detroit public.

Credits
    he actually ended up getting $4000 in total. a couple of other businesses and citizens donated more when they heard the story.

and i'm sorry, he should be happy he got 5 dollars. because you have $21,000 in bonds that makes you rich? hell no it does not. that could have been someone's entire life savings. who says they even had the $100 to spare? because he did what he was supposed to do he should get big money for it? gimme a break.

Credits

hear de excuse

Homeless hero gets Scrooged
    BY DEREK ROSE
    DAILY NEWS STAFF WRITER

A Michigan lawyer who gave just $100 to a homeless man who returned $21,000 in lost bonds says he's been inundated with angry calls and e-mails calling him a skinflint.
    Neil Lehto stirred outrage last week after giving the paltry payout to Charles Moore, a homeless man who discovered the savings bonds in a bag of clothes at a Detroit shelter.

"It was too low, but that's what my mother offered," said Lehto, 55. "I knew it would probably create a reaction."

And it did. Lehto has been deluged with outraged responses, while others have pledged Moore a total of $4,000 in donations and a shopping spree at a men's clothing store. One man even sent him eight trash bags full of returnable bottles and a box of coins.

"I was thankful for it," said Moore, 59, who became homeless after he lost his roofing job in Ohio and moved back to Michigan but couldn't find work.

Lehto says not to blame him for the cheap reward - it was set by his 82-year-old mother, who grew up in the Great Depression.

"She came from a generation where $100 is a lot of money," he said. "She came from a generation where honesty is required."

Marian Lehto of Rochester Hills, Mich., was also angry that her late husband, Ernest, had apparently stashed the bonds in a jacket, her son said.

"The idea that he would hide these savings bonds somewhere where they would get discarded when he died - I don't want to say she blew her stack, but she was not happy about that," Neil Lehto said.

Reached by telephone, Marian Lehto declined to comment.

Neil Lehto, who's been divorced twice and has four daughters, said he just didn't have the money to bolster the reward. "I'm a lawyer, yes. A big lawyer? No."

The savings bonds were in Ernest Lehto's name, so even if Moore had wanted to keep them, he couldn't have gotten the money, which will go to Ernest Lehto's estate.

"I know you can't cash them," Moore told The Detroit News last week. "They're no good to nobody but the person [named]. They belong to him. I did the right thing."

--------------------------------------
    someone forget to tell the mother that we're in 2006 and $100 don't go far. @ least the public is helping

sharkie
    Quote Originally Posted by LapDancer
    he actually ended up getting $4000 in total. a couple of other businesses and citizens donated more when they heard the story.

and i'm sorry, he should be happy he got 5 dollars. because you have $21,000 in bonds that makes you rich? hell no it does not. that could have been someone's entire life savings. who says they even had the $100 to spare? because he did what he was supposed to do he should get big money for it? gimme a break.
    well is not only dat, it's the principle of it all. but i eh gettin into it...yuh done ha yuh opinion.

ah glad something good come out of it/

Credits
    Quote Originally Posted by sharkie
    well is not only dat, it's the principle of it all. but i eh gettin into it...yuh done ha yuh opinion.

yeah

Credits

what's the principle? you're supposed to return that which is not yours. that's the principle i see. i'm not saying i would have given him $100 but damn, she gave him something. she didn't have to give him a dime. it's that simple. she chose to give him money in return for him doing the right thing now people saying it's not enough money? that's still $100 more than he had to begin with and he already said he was grateful.

Credits
    ....I was about to say that he should have kept the bonds but as the story said, he couldn't have cashed them anyway. The dude is definitely a nice guy and he was rewarded well, even if it wasn't from the person whose money he returned, he lucked out in the end...

sharkie
    what's the principle? you're supposed to return that which is not yours. that's the principle i see. i'm not saying i would have given him $100 but damn, she gave him something. she didn't have to give him a dime. it's that simple. she chose to give him money in return for him doing the right thing now people saying it's not enough money? that's still $100 more than he had to begin with and he already said he was grateful.
    ent i done say i eh gettin into it?? steups

you keep your opinion, i go keep mine.

Credits
    ent i done say i eh gettin into it?? steups

you keep your opinion, i go keep mine.
    noone's "getting into" anything. it's not that serious.

Credits
    Not when you find it in the trash your not...that means its GARBAGE.. and who in sams hell has to return garbage?

...concrete jungle where dreams are made of...
    Credits
    Those people threw out the man's belongings without even looking in the pockets? What kind of jacket was that in which they couldn't feel some heft more than usual for a jacket?

Like Sharkie, I'm not going to get into the principle of the thing, but thank heavens plenty came out of this incident for this homeless man. I mean he lost his job 6 weeks ago, if God forbid this happened to any of us and we found bonds or whatever wouldn't we like a more than $100?
    "Create the highest, grandest vision possible for your life, because you become what you believe." - Oprah Winfrey

"If you keep believing in yourself and seek enthusiasm inside your soul, things will get simpler, more spontaneous." ~Paulo Coelho

"I find your lack of faith disturbing" - Darth Vader

Be the kind of woman that when your feet hit
    the floor each morning the devil says:
    "Oh Crap, She's up!"

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast