Thread: A Holi celebration

Credits

Thumbs up A Holi celebration

A Holi celebration
    Sateesh Maharaj

HOLY FUN: Participants celebrate during Phagwa last year. -Photos: Stephen Doobay and Jermaine Cruickshank

Just as clouds of coloured powder and squirts of abeer mix together during Phagwa celebrations, so too the Aranguez Savannah is expected to see peoples from all races coming together to celebrate this auspicious festival.

Phagwa or Holi-also known as Holika-is the colourful Hindu festival celebrated on Phalgun Purnima, the Full Moon day in Phalgun Month. As Phalgun Purnima in 2010 starts on February 28 and continues even on March 1, Holi date is February 28 in some places and some may celebrate the festival on March 1.

This coincides with the onset of spring in India, where the festival has been celebrated for thousands of years. The Hindus who came from Bihar in India in 1845, as indentured labourers on the sugarcane fields, brought with them Phagwa and have celebrated it for the over 160 years.

Phagwa celebrations for 2010 will be held at the Aranguez Savannah this Sunday from 1 p.m. to 6 p.m., according to Pundit Satyanand Gosein, president of the National Phagwa Council of Trinidad and Tobago. The activities will be done in collaboration with 103FM.

’We are inviting all groups to come and participate in the celebrations. Our highlight is really the chowtal competition. We give a smaller groups an opportunity to display their talents. On March 4 at Gaston Courts, Chaguanas, the National Phagwa Council of Trinidad and Tobago in collaboration with 103FM will have their awards ceremony.

The winners of the chowtal competition will be made known and the remuneration package for those who come to the Aranguez this Sunday.’

Pundit Gosein described chowtal singing as an art form that was brought by East Indian ancestors. It incorporates the use of the Majeera (hand cymbals), the Dholak (drum) and rhythmic songs.

’It is a rendition composed about God, philosophy and life. The song moves from a slow speed to a fast one.’

Pundit Satyanand said that since he took the role of president 10 years ago, the celebrations have increased both in spectator and participant size.

’The Aranguez Savannah has always been the largest venue where spectators are concerned. At any one point in time you can find around 6,000 people assembled on the ground. You will find people from South [Trinidad] even though there are many venues all over the place. They must visit the Aranguez Savannah which has been embedded in culture since 1967.’

He saw great development in the art form and new groups from different schools and villages coming forward. ’Last year alone saw nine new groups come into the celebrations and called it a good sign. Last year a total of 62 groups participated in the event.’

For the tourists wanting to experience the event, Pundit Gosein said prepare to become involved.

’It is nice to witness and enjoy but it is not like Carnival. It is an ancient heritage cultural festival that incorporates the squirting of abeer and the use of coloured powder. If they want to come they must be prepared to get take part in these activities.’

No abeer? No problem.

Three big tanks of abeer will be made available to the public on the savannah grounds.

Pundit Gosein reminded spectators and participants that it is an alcohol free celebration and called for people to desist from bringing alcohol to the venue.

’It is a time for holy songs and not chutney. We are trying to create the authentic part of the celebrations. I have no doubt that this will be another bumper year for us. It is a time for uniting the people.’

He added: ’It is a time when people embrace each other with togetherness and love. It about life. Life is about colour, rhythm and music, people coming together to enjoy themselves in a festive, holy, clean, fun way.’

Pundit Gosein and the National Phagwa Council of Trinidad and Tobago extended best wishes to the national community on the day.

Trinidad News, Trinidad Newspaper, Trinidad Sports, Trinidad politics, Trinidad and Tobago, Tobago News, Trinidad classifieds, Trinidad TV, Sports, Business

Gladiator
    Express over the guardian anyday

Credits
    Quote Originally Posted by Lieutenant View Post
    Express over the guardian anyday
    Agreed...but what dis have to do wit Phagwa nah?

Credits
    Do you know where I can get some of the colored powder? I saw a few
    guys with giant squirt guns at DC Carnival who were spraying each other
    and willing spectators with what appeared to be paint. It looks like fun.
    Think For Yourself

Spranga
    this is a good article for that thread dollbabi
    i know u know which one i talkin bout

Credits
    Quote Originally Posted by dollbabi View Post
    A Holi celebration
    Sateesh Maharaj

HOLY FUN: Participants celebrate during Phagwa last year. -Photos: Stephen Doobay and Jermaine Cruickshank

Just as clouds of coloured powder
    I was wondering where the whole powder posse concept came from. Now i know.
    Who has eyes to see, let them see...

Credits
    Quote Originally Posted by Brownilus View Post
    I was wondering where the whole powder posse concept came from. Now i know.
    Holi a celebration of colors.