Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: The Hip Roll

Credits
    Quote Originally Posted by blackamericanprincss View Post
    I don't know about biting, the hip roll has been around a long time.
    yes... it has but do the math wining both in the Windies and places like India & Africa has been aroung much longer. im sure you dont think W I's ...Africans and Indians just started doing it

Point of the story... the girl look nice wid de dance yes. but give credit where its due. people cyar come wid de hip roll like its new cause its not! dat in many forms been roung Soca fetes African parties etc.
    for example. ps not getting on you eh? just making a point
    enjoy
    Last edited by DeSocaPrincess; 12-12-2006 at 05:59 AM.
    Recognize The ORIGIONAL,
    There Can Be Only ONE!

Registered User blackamericanprincss's Avatar blackamericanprincss is offline
    Credits
    Quote Originally Posted by DeSocaPrincess View Post
    yes... it has but do the math wining both in the Windies and places like India & Africa has been aroung much longer. im sure you dont think W I's ...Africans and Indians just started doing it

Point of the story... the girl look nice wid de dance yes. but give credit where its due. people cyar come wid de hip roll like its new cause its not! dat in many forms been roung Soca fetes African parties etc.
    for example. ps not getting on you eh? just making a point
    enjoy
    ?????
    I wasn't arguing what kind of cultural similarities in dancing we have and I never even implied that I thought someone "just" started doing anything, I just said that I don't know if hip rolling is necessarily something "bitten" from somewhere else, otherwise the entire African diaspora just had may as well call anything we do as "biting Africa" solely because our identity itself is not "as old" as certain identities from the continent. Although I am no hip-rolling historian and there may have been someone influenced by foreign dances, I also know that just because other places also do it does not mean that it is "biting", especially when we're talking about groups with cultural roots from essentially the same place, making it not unfathomable that the same cultural traits can appear in different countries among basically the same people. So regardless to whether hip-rolling (under this name) is technically as old as wining or mapouka or any other name for essentially the SAME doggone thing, it doesn't seem like it would make much of a difference.

I don't know about being proprietary about dances and I'm sure "wining" and whatever other dance is older, but for as long as I've been alive, there has been hip rolling where I am from, and I never really knew any W.I. or African blacks until my teens, late teens at that.

Credits
    she moves well....

mixture of caribbean wining, middle eastern belly dancing, and southern booty shaking....nothing original
    Those Who Sacrifice Freedom for Security Deserve Neither
    www.cookingwithval.com
    http://www.snackhealthy.com/snackwithval
    @cookingwithval
    @NicaBlack

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12