Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree3Likes

Thread: Hey Swaggerific, please point out all the uptown ppl playing mas….thx

Credits

Thumbs up Hey Swaggerific, please point out all the uptown ppl playing mas….thx

Hey Swaggerific, please point out all the uptown ppl playing mas….thx

Or explain that class thing you were telling me about…to me it seems like a lot of open-minded ppl playing mas and having a good time !

Credits
    Hey man, I meant to ask you about how true this is?

I spoke with a co-worker from Jamaica, and I told him: "Man did you see all those beautiful women at carnival, how many times have you went when you were there"?

I was surprised when he told me verbatim: "Bwoy, yuh know how many times carnaval come an' pass and mi nah attend dat even once. Carnival fuh di people wit money, the 'uptown' people, dem nuh wan mix wit we yutes from di ghetto". Mi guh get real ignant, when dem nuh wan talk wit me when dem know whey mi come fram."

I think basically what he was telling me, is there was some sort of discrimination during carnival for people not so well off.

He told me he lives in a former "Dudus" stronghold and it's very violent and poverty stricken where he lives. I tried going out with him to a club one night, couldn't get him to even move to one Soca song,lol. He's real Dancehall hardcore.

Have you ever heard of such a thing man?
    "I will forewarn you......fear ye him when thou hast died hath power to cast into hell" - Charles Lawson

Credits
    Quote Originally Posted by DerMonger View Post
    Hey man, I meant to ask you about how true this is?

I spoke with a co-worker from Jamaica, and I told him: "Man did you see all those beautiful women at carnival, how many times have you went when you were there"?

I was surprised when he told me verbatim: "Bwoy, yuh know how many times carnaval come an' pass and mi nah attend dat even once. Carnival fuh di people wit money, the 'uptown' people, dem nuh wan mix wit we yutes from di ghetto". Mi guh get real ignant, when dem nuh wan talk wit me when dem know whey mi come fram."

I think basically what he was telling me, is there was some sort of discrimination during carnival for people not so well off.

He told me he lives in a former "Dudus" stronghold and it's very violent and poverty stricken where he lives. I tried going out with him to a club one night, couldn't get him to even move to one Soca song,lol. He's real Dancehall hardcore. Have you ever heard of such a thing man?

Yes, in that part....that is hardcore dancehall.......but to say that ghetto yutes not or won't even dance to a soca song, that is the younger generation.....find that hard to believe, or what he is saying is that none of them yutes are openminded...

Anyway, first, let me say this…..no poor person playing mas, whether Jamaica, T&T, Spice, etc…..now to address what he is saying, the majority of that is rubbish…I think this what Rhythmwize beef is now with JA carinival…that is T-shirt bands, they started allowing T-shirts in the bands, along side the frontline...some had issues wth it.…Byron Lee always had T-shirts and costume…but Bacchanal Jamaica started that a few years back….bro, I don’t think I need to tell you how much a T-shirt cost……so the truth of the matter is that if he was open-minded and wanted to play mas without the costume…he could of done that for the past 20 somewhat years…..
    Last edited by socapineman; 04-15-2012 at 10:39 PM.

Credits
    BTW, Byron Lee's carnival was the poorman's carnival vs Bacchanal Jamaica , so i don't think your co worker knows what he is talking about....unlike Bac Jam..Byron Lee had Dancehall artists on his truck and anywhere in JA you have Dancehall artist.... ghetto yutes rushing that......take a look at the pic...well i will see if i can find a few, not home...you tell me if what they are wearing..that is t shirts look like they cost a lot of $...then again like i stated, poor ppl cant afford to play..t shirt or not.

Last edited by socapineman; 04-15-2012 at 11:12 PM.

Credits
    i always heard that carnival and by extension soca is not a downtown thing... i have seen plenty jamaicans out side of jamaica dance to soca etc but in jamaica itself... not the downtown ones per se... "mi nuh inna di wine up wine up ting"...
    Never waste your time trying to explain who you are to people who are committed to misunderstanding you.

Velvet Glove. Iron Fist

mi style still sharp .....u a A-Minor and dem a B-Flat

Credits
    Quote Originally Posted by ladyrastafari View Post
    i always heard that carnival and by extension soca is not a downtown thing... i have seen plenty jamaicans out side of jamaica dance to soca etc but in jamaica itself... not the downtown ones per se... "mi nuh inna di wine up wine up ting"...
    What is your point...i don't follow you ?

Are you sayin that yutes in downtown ( whatever that means) nuh inna the wine up ting.....?

Btw, where is downtown in JA and what is uptown ..where are the lines ?

Also....who is making a case that the majority of yute in what you are calling downtown is into soca ?

regardless, if you been to Jamaica carnival....esp a few years back, ask anyone who was following Byron lee's 7 to 8 trucks on the road in....all i can say, is then we have a lot of uptown ppl then playing mas in t shirts.

Credits

Juan Dan
    Quote Originally Posted by socapineman View Post

Are you sayin that yutes in downtown ( whatever that means) nuh inna the wine up ting.....?

Also....who is making a case that the majority of yute in what you are calling downtown is into soca ?

regardless, if you been to Jamaica carnival....esp a few years back, ask anyone who was following Byron lee's 7 to 8 trucks on the road in....all i can say, is then we have a lot of uptown ppl then playing mas in t shirts.
    very good tred
    jamaica is ALL about money and mentals
    hence if yuh money not right and mentality/class not right YOU WILL NOT BE ALLOWED TO OR GO TO CERTAIN PLACES
    not by force yet your pockets and mindset let you know
    that simple

Credits
    Yes, in that part....that is hardcore dancehall.......but to say that ghetto yutes not or won't even dance to a soca song, that is the younger generation.....find that hard to believe, or what he is saying is that none of them yutes are openminded...

Anyway, first, let me say this…..no poor person playing mas, whether Jamaica, T&T, Spice, etc…..now to address what he is saying, the majority of that is rubbish…I think this what Rhythmwize beef is now with JA carinival…that is T-shirt bands, they started allowing T-shirts in the bands, along side the frontline...some had issues wth it.…Byron Lee always had T-shirts and costume…but Bacchanal Jamaica started that a few years back….bro, I don’t think I need to tell you how much a T-shirt cost……so the truth of the matter is that if he was open-minded and wanted to play mas without the costume…he could of done that for the past 20 somewhat years…..
    That statement is incorrect as it pertains to Trinidad and Tobago
    Space available for RENT

Sweetness4life Mrs. Yankee Doodle's Avatar Mrs. Yankee Doodle is offline
    Credits
    Quote Originally Posted by Big Bo$$ View Post
    also to st. lucia...poor or not dem in de mas
    Socapro likes this.
    Live life in concert with your values!
    Never be paralyzed!
    Don't wait for people to change! - Dr. Robert Brooks

Credits

I think she mixed up one of her downtowns and it was supposed to be uptown lol. But it has always been said by many that carnival ah huptown peeple sitten. All my jamaican friends I have have at one point or another expressed that. I only personally know one person who came from Jamaica liking soca that wasn't an uptowner.
    Juan Dan likes this.
    Space available for RENT

Credits
    OK, so I want to make sure I understand your correction........ That is in communities east of POS poor or not... They handing over anywhere from $300 to $500 to Tribe, etc.. To dress up in a bra and a tong to play mas...... And by playing mas I don't mean playing for free....... So please then make the correct statement if what I said is incorrect... Thx

Credits

im saying that for the majority of working class jamaicans, especially MEN, they're not into the carnival wining and frolicking... people from matthews lane, arnette gardens, tivoli , reema, are not goign to be too enthralled by the soca aspect of carnival, nor the putting on of a costume and jumping... to me, even people from maypen, manchester, chapelton, vere etc.. not too sold on it..

I think she mixed up one of her downtowns and it was supposed to be uptown lol. But it has always been said by many that carnival ah huptown peeple sitten. All my jamaican friends I have have at one point or another expressed that. I only personally know one person who came from Jamaica liking soca that wasn't an uptowner.
    to me most jamaicans do not really care too tough bout soca.. a few here and there open minded ones will listen to it, and fraternize at soca oriented events but its usually more uptown folks the kind that go to ATI weekend/ dream weekend.. that might do the carnival thing....

OK, so I want to make sure I understand your correction........ That is in communities east of POS poor or not... They handing over anywhere from $300 to $500 to Tribe, etc.. To dress up in a bra and a tong to play mas...... And by playing mas I don't mean playing for free....... So please then make the correct statement if what I said is incorrect... Thx
    carnival is a Trini thing, so people have the mentality that now is "we time"...rich, poor, black, white, indian, chinee, spanish, mixup, everyboyd in it.. there are CARNIVAL LOANS in trinidad and tobago so that should tell you what time it is!... Jump now, worry bout repayment later.. that is and has always been the mentality... some bands have more of a "hood" vibe than others but there will be all types in all bands...
    Never waste your time trying to explain who you are to people who are committed to misunderstanding you.

Velvet Glove. Iron Fist

mi style still sharp .....u a A-Minor and dem a B-Flat

Credits
    Hoss to put it in perspective, banks does give loans for carnival. So rich, poor and in between does be in the mixup. It have no "I too poor to play mas" mentality in Trini. So mas eh no rich people or well off people thing. Some of the all inclusives are priced to limit certain individuals from attending and tbh is not price that deters them, it's simply that they prefer gunta environments like Fire and License fetes, etc.
    ladyrastafari likes this.
    Space available for RENT

Credits
    Hoss to put it in perspective, banks does give loans for carnival. So rich, poor and in between does be in the mixup. It have no "I too poor to play mas" mentality in Trini. So mas eh no rich people or well off people thing. Some of the all inclusives are priced to limit certain individuals from attending and tbh is not price that deters them, it's simply that they prefer gunta environments like Fire and License fetes, etc.
    Friend just mek dem know see. Ah the so called "poor people" are the ones who seem to be able to find the money to jump up in them bands with them costume or t-shirt on. Me nah know where dem get the money but hear wah "dem find uhm". So yeah ah nah lie you ah tell. Ah truth you ah talk bout that. They have some fetes yah so so every carnival and some of them well priced to keep certain individuals out and guess what them same individuals when you look sharp find dem self in brand you clothes and wapping hair do in dem same fetes. And after the season done you hear dem ah bawl "Murdah, tings bad". lol. Same way poor people find dem self pon cruise its the same way poor people find themself playing mas whether it be t-shirt or in costume. Cause everybody wants to live and be like the Jones's
    Last edited by Wadadlineko; 04-16-2012 at 11:55 AM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast