Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: He's Back :Ralph Nader enters presidential race !

Credits

He's Back :Ralph Nader enters presidential race !

He's Back :Ralph Nader enters presidential race !

Another Brilliant American who seems to know what is best for the country !

WASHINGTON (CNN) -- Ralph Nader is entering the presidential race as an independent, he announced Sunday, saying it is time for a "Jeffersonian revolution."

Ralph Nader is running for president as an independent.

"In the last few years, big money and the closing down of Washington against citizen groups prevent us from trying to improve our country. And I want everybody to have the right and opportunity to improve their country," he told reporters after an appearance announcing his candidacy on NBC's "Meet the Press."

Asked why he should be president, the longtime consumer advocate said, "Because I got things done." He cited a 40-year record, which he said includes saving "millions of lives," bringing about stricter protection for food and water and fighting corporate control over Washington.

Nader's decision, which did not come as a surprise to political watchers, marks his fourth straight White House bid -- fifth if his 1992 write-in campaign is included.

The two contenders for the Democratic nomination were quick to pounce.

"He thought that there was no difference between Al Gore and George Bush and, eight years later, I think people realize that Ralph did not know what he was talking about," Sen. Barack Obama said a town hall meeting Sunday. Watch Nader describe whom the Democrats should be "going after"

Calling Nader's move "very unfortunate," Sen. Hillary Clinton told reporters, "I remember when he ran before. It didn't turn out very well for anybody -- especially our country."
    Don't Miss

* Analysts weigh in on Democratic debate
    * Presidential candidates
    * Election Center 2008

"This time I hope it doesn't hurt anyone. I can't think of anybody that would vote for Sen. McCain who would vote for Ralph Nader," she said.

Nader was criticized by some Democrats in 2000 for allegedly pulling away support from Democrat Al Gore and helping George Bush win the White House.

Noting that he ran on the Green Party ticket that year, Clinton said Nader "prevented Al Gore from being the 'greenest' president we could have had."

Nader has long rejected his portrayal as a spoiler in the presidential race. In his NBC interview Sunday, he cited the Republican Party's economic policies, the Iraq war, and other issues, saying, "If the Democrats can't landslide the Republicans this year, they ought to just wrap up, close down, emerge in a different form."

But Clinton said, "Obviously, it is not helpful to whoever our Democratic nominee is. But, you know, it is a free country."

Nader said political consultants "have really messed up Hillary Clinton's campaign."

Long-shot GOP contender Mike Huckabee said Nader's entry would probably help his party.

"I think it always would probably pull votes away from the Democrats and not the Republicans, so naturally, Republicans would welcome his entry into the race," Huckabee said Sunday on CNN.

Nader said Thomas Jefferson believed that "when you lose your government, you've got to go into the electoral arena."

"A Jeffersonian revolution is needed in this country," he said.

Nader told NBC that great changes in U.S. history have come "through little parties that never won any national election."

"Dissent is the mother of ascent," he said. "And in that context I've decided to run for president."

Nader, who turns 74 this week, complained about the "paralysis of the government," which he said is under the control of corporate executives and lobbyists.

Obama also criticized Nader earlier this weekend. "My sense is that Mr. Nader is somebody who, if you don't listen and adopt all of his policies, thinks you're not substantive," he told reporters when asked about Nader's possible candidacy.

"He seems to have a pretty high opinion of his own work."

Obama said Nader "is a singular figure in American politics and has done as much as just about anyone for consumers."

"I don't mean to diminish that," he said. "There's a sense now that if someone's not hewing to the Ralph Nader agenda, he says they're lacking in some way."

Responding to those remarks, Nader called Obama "a person of substance" and "the first liberal evangelist in a long time" who "has run a good tactical campaign." But he accused Obama of censoring "his better instincts" on divisive issues.

Nader encouraged people to look at his campaign Web site, votenader.org, which he said discusses issues important to Americans that Obama and Sen. John McCain "are not addressing

The question is who is paying this guy off ?

Credits
    RALPH NADER is just a DISTRACTION....he should be IGNORED.

He will NEVER EVER win the PRESIDENCY of the UNITED STATES. All he will possibly do is take away votes from the DEMS as AL GORE PAINFULLY LEARNED in FLORIDA.

Credits
    THIS IS GREAT!!!!!!

Here's a Couple of Scenarios:

(1) The White Ruling Class Democratic Party Machine tells Obama to take a Hike------Hillary is Queen.
    = a Nader/McKinney ticket would WRECK the Democratic Party

(2) 50 Cent's prediction for Obama becomes a reality.
    = a Nader/McKinney Ticket would WRECK the Democratic Party

Credits
    Somebody in the Republican party payin this man to steal votes from the Dems. He has no reason to run. None. Zero.

Credits
    I think he would do equal damage, my biggest concern is the running mate, for McCain, Obama, and Nader

Credits
    it's like he just needs the ego-stroke or something. i truly wish he would just go away. he's a waste in this race.

Credits
    he will be a non issue

1.he does not have green party support

2.this is 8 yers after bush.people dont want to mess this up
    they want him and those like him(republicans) gone

3.people are VERY excited about obama and clinton
    compare that to al gore a person who was called Al Bore

Credits
    well at least its something else to laugh at cause I tired see Mcain he juss as retarded as bush.....
    Marcus Garvey said you would not know yourself till your back is against the wall. It gone through the wall now.

Credits
    Quote Originally Posted by SUGABUMBUM View Post
    well at least its something else to laugh at cause I tired see Mcain he juss as retarded as bush.....

Credits
    John McLAME is NOT retarded.............

........he is an INSANE WAR CRIMINAL with a 100 year War Plan.

Credits
    Quote Originally Posted by VINCYPOWA View Post
    RALPH NADER is just a DISTRACTION....he should be IGNORED.

He will NEVER EVER win the PRESIDENCY of the UNITED STATES. All he will possibly do is take away votes from the DEMS as AL GORE PAINFULLY LEARNED in FLORIDA.

Stop your nonsense...he's the real change element !

Man, I was thinking the same thing...The real question is who is paying him off !

Credits
    Quote Originally Posted by socapineman View Post
    Stop your nonsense...he's the real change element !

!
    I see you LOVE to SUPPORT LOSERS....continue that TREND with NADER.

Credits
    Quote Originally Posted by VINCYPOWA View Post
    I see you LOVE to SUPPORT LOSERS....continue that TREND with NADER.
    I work for this Winner in college nypirg.org..... real changes.

I keep telling you, winning and implementing a plan is two different element...when we are there we can talk about it...as you know, it means nothing to me except " Selling Dreams. "
    Last edited by socapineman; 02-25-2008 at 11:18 PM.

Credits
    Lou Dobbs came on himself when he heard the news.

Credits
    Quote Originally Posted by liteskinboy View Post
    Lou Dobbs came on himself when he heard the news.

I am surprise...I don't know how much you know about Lou, but over the years he was all for Big Business and a Bush lover, as a matter of fact, he would love to sent back all W.I.s but now he's getting soft, I guess he's facing reality now that these so all politicians are full of it.
    Last edited by socapineman; 02-25-2008 at 11:18 PM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast