Thread: Has your employer discussed...

where the Eagles are a hometown favorite!
    Credits

Has your employer discussed...

the Avian Flu Pandemic?

Avian influenza, more commonly known as the "bird flu", is caused by influenza A viruses that occur naturally among birds. It is a virus, not unlike the ones humans protect themselves from every year. Wild birds worldwide carry Avian Influenza viruses in their intestines, but usually do not get sick from them. Avian Influenza is very contagious among birds and can make some domesticated birds, including chickens, ducks, and turkeys, very sick and kill them.
    Infected birds "shed" the influenza virus through their saliva, nasal secretions, and feces. Other birds become infected when they come in contact with one of these "shed" sources. Avian Influenza causes two main forms of disease: (1.)Low pathogenic forms, which cause mild symptoms in birds, such as ruffled feathers and a drop in egg production. (2.)High pathogenic forms, which spreads rapidly through poultry flocks, affecting multiple internal organs; causing death to the bird within 48 hours.

Additional information can be found at the following websites:
    The American Red Cross
    www.redcross.org

Centers for Disease Control and Prevention: www.cdc.gov

World Health Organization
    www.who.int

People are concerned about a new subtype of the virus that causes serious health risks and easily spreads among human beings. Currently, the Avian Influenza is not an epidemic (or outbreak).
    Awareness and education are the best ways to remain informed.

Despite the widespread attention to the Avian Influenza, according to the World Health Organization, there are just over 200 known
    worldwide confirmed human cases since 2003. Transmission to human beings is extremely rare.
    Scientists are researching why some people, and not others, become infected following similar
    exposures to one of the viruses.

Note: There is no evidence that Avian Influenza can be transmitted through properly cooked poultry and eggs.
    The Avian Influenza is not a "one size fits all" virus. The different types of viruses and pathogenic forms cause varying symptoms.
    Symptoms range from typical, human flu-like symptoms (fever, cough, sore throat, and muscle
    aches) to eye infections, pneumonia, severe respiratory diseases (such as acute respiratory distress), and other severe and life-threatening complications. The symptoms of bird flu may depend on which virus caused the infection.
    If you believe you have come in contact with a contaminated bird and you are experiencing symptoms , don't wait - contact your doctor immediately.

What Is It?
    Can I Get It?
    What is Everyone Worried About?
    Yes, although it is extremely rare. Transmission to Humans Symptoms in Humans
    1.) Do not handle or eat sick wildlife.
    2.) Thoroughly wash any item which may come in contact with a contaminated bird.
    3.) Always wash your hands with soap and warm
    water for at least 30 seconds.
    4.) Cover your mouth when you cough and/or sneeze.

Credits
    Unfortunately, people won't deal with this until it's an immediate threat. ELQ had some threads on it I beleive as well as Empress.

Personally, by the end of the summer, I'm going to be stocked up on some food just to be ready for the worse case senario. My job has already implemented a communications procedure in the event it does hit the US.

Remember though, it's not a matter of if, it's a matter of when.

Credits
    Quote Originally Posted by kevlocks
    Unfortunately, people won't deal with this until it's an immediate threat. ELQ had some threads on it I beleive as well as Empress.

Personally, by the end of the summer, I'm going to be stocked up on some food just to be ready for the worse case senario. My job has already implemented a communications procedure in the event it does hit the US.

Remember though, it's not a matter of if, it's a matter of when.

Lawd god..this ting frightens me so, cuz is like it's inevitable

where the Eagles are a hometown favorite!
    Credits
    my job are holding discussions today at all levels to educate the employees as to the steps that are being taken for now and for the future...

I'll find out at 3pm...what's the plan.

Credits
    Quote Originally Posted by LolaMs
    Lawd god..this ting frightens me so, cuz is like it's inevitable
    don't be knowledge is the key to overcoming the situation as oppose to fear which can immoblize you and cause people to think irrationally. There's plenty of information out there, so just read up so that you're in the know!!!

Credits
    Quote Originally Posted by kevlocks
    don't be knowledge is the key to overcoming the situation as oppose to fear which can immoblize you and cause people to think irrationally. There's plenty of information out there, so just read up so that you're in the know!!!

ok