Page 11 of 11 FirstFirst ... 91011

Thread: Guyana Explained

Credits
    Quote Originally Posted by triniameri View Post
    I thought bucks were an urban legend kinda like the boogie man or elves...

aren't they like "little people" with sharp teeth and also cannibals?

I know in Trini they say if you catch a buck they grant you wishes as long as you feed them....

CC take a picture of one for me
    when people in Guyana say BUCK they are referring to the natives, aka American Indian , we say Amerindians....i am a descendant of the amerindians

What the trinis may call buck we call backoo...

Credits
    Quote Originally Posted by MR HYPE View Post
    when people in Guyana say BUCK they are referring to the natives, aka American Indian , we say Amerindians....i am a descendant of the amerindians

What the trinis may call buck we call backoo...

thanks for the clarification...have you seen one before? a backoo?
    Can't keep your eyes off my fatty
    Daddy, I want you, na na
    Drunk in love...I want you

Je ne sais quoi
    Cherie, m'vle-ou
    Aswe ya ce net al kole!

Credits
    Quote Originally Posted by triniameri View Post
    thanks for the clarification...have you seen one before? a backoo?
    nope....dem common in CG area though

i never wanted to see none......lol

Credits

I don't blame you...I had one friend that tell me they keep them chained up cause they can get very violent
    Can't keep your eyes off my fatty
    Daddy, I want you, na na
    Drunk in love...I want you

Je ne sais quoi
    Cherie, m'vle-ou
    Aswe ya ce net al kole!

Credits

Oy harry wha yuh lying fuh, you skunt from Bartica where ALLLL the bacoo deh. hahahahahahaha.

Wha i get nuff in me area is ol higue and obeah lady. A man tek a buck gul a time and the gul family obeah he and he come lookin fuh some obeah lady in BV fuh see if she can help. I tell he banna me ain't know is who. hahahahahahaha.

trini babe nobody supposed to mine bacoos they are mischievious like dat doh, if you feed dem milk and banana they will stay with you and look for milk and banana every day, if you don't have thats when they get violent, i never saw one and hope i never do.

When i was smaller they used to tell us the stories and i used to read bout them in books as well and i used to frighten fuh guh in me yard at night and dem ting. NOW!! Stewwwpppssssss. Can't happen again.
    joie de vivre

carpe diem

I can tell you a story bout my dyck but
    it would be way too long

Taj
    Credits
    lol @ bucks always coming up when discussin guyana

triniameri search "paranormal bull" you gon get all the info you ever wished to know about bucks
    “A sharp knife never proclaims it’s sharpness to the world…but the first to fall against it becomes it’s advocate.”

You can put any face behind a mask but be careful cos someone else might be pretending. You might not be the only one with a secret -- Cassie/Gretel

Credits
    Quote Originally Posted by cassette_craig View Post
    Oy harry wha yuh lying fuh, you skunt from Bartica where ALLLL the bacoo deh. hahahahahahaha.

Wha i get nuff in me area is ol higue and obeah lady. A man tek a buck gul a time and the gul family obeah he and he come lookin fuh some obeah lady in BV fuh see if she can help. I tell he banna me ain't know is who. hahahahahahaha.

trini babe nobody supposed to mine bacoos they are mischievious like dat doh, if you feed dem milk and banana they will stay with you and look for milk and banana every day, if you don't have thats when they get violent, i never saw one and hope i never do.

When i was smaller they used to tell us the stories and i used to read bout them in books as well and i used to frighten fuh guh in me yard at night and dem ting. NOW!! Stewwwpppssssss. Can't happen again.

backoo is a afro guyanese thing banna...now if yuh seh masacarou or coneima...dem is buck people thing lol

Credits
    I don't like that term it's derogatory.

Credits
    I am real proud of meh ole man fuh working in the bushes diving for diamonds many years ago. We were talking yesterday and he told us he did it for 5 years in the 60s and started as a teenager.

They would place you in a suit and two men on the barge would pump air to a tube attached to your head while you were under water for 2 or 3 hours at a time, those men stopped pumping... you died plain and simple. Back then they used primitive methods and he saw a lot of his co-workers die on the job. One time he was working alongside a nex man who wanted to make some money to get married and rocks collapsed on him he drowned to death.

It was really risky work but he told me it was REALLY worth it. But some guys started tiefing by swallowing a few diamonds so when they eventually came up to surface they were forced to drink Cod Liver Oil to crap it all out!!!! He would come back to GT balling up a storm,lol. They`d make 3000 dollars in a month which was a lot more than most people twice his age were earning. It doh sound like a lot by today`s standards but back in those days the when Guyana was still a British colony the Guyana dollar was on par with the US dollar.
    Last edited by DerMonger; 08-02-2010 at 01:55 PM.
    "I will forewarn you......fear ye him when thou hast died hath power to cast into hell" - Charles Lawson

Credits
    Is it only my dad or has anyone in here ever used or heard the phrase:

........`` Bai, you iz a real 5th wheel to the coach``.........to describe someone that is moving slow or holding up things?
    "I will forewarn you......fear ye him when thou hast died hath power to cast into hell" - Charles Lawson

LB
    Credits
    almost everybody got cellphone now....aan say the same for home telephones....yuh see every other day a town or lil area does spring up where they dont have any lines ran...so it does tek time fo dem come do duh....but cell phones all over...
    okay den I am even more confused by the lack of communication statement

can someone elaborate on what this entails 'cause I am well curious.
    "Twats you people be" - Chinks

"Don't try to win over the haters, you're not the jackass whisperer."

Some people get you and some people don’t, and to spend your life trying to make people understand how deep and complex and varied you are — I think that way lies madness - K. Blanchett

"The leopard's stealthy gait is not a result of cowardice; it is simply stalking a prey." (Do not mistake people's gentle nature for spinelessness) - Yoruba Proverb

Page 11 of 11 FirstFirst ... 91011