Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Is Guyana considered part of the Caribbean?

bigbootyjo

Is Guyana considered part of the Caribbean?

I know that this question maybe crazy to some, but I don't understand! If this country is located in South America, why do people consider this to be part of Caribbean??

Credits
    They aren't in the Caribbean Sea......they aren't Caribbean
    They are West Indian.

bigbootyjo
    Quote Originally Posted by Ackee
    They aren't in the Caribbean Sea......they aren't Caribbean
    They are West Indian.
    ok, that's makes more sense, but someone tried to tell me that they are part of the Caribbean, so that is why I asked. I know that they are in South America, and that what I said, and this person (which is american jus like me) tried to argue me down that they are part of the Caribbean, I won't even state the reason why they say this. So I just needed some clarification.
    thanks!

Credits
    Guyana is one of the nations in CARICOM and culturally and politically are apart of the British West Indies. Geographically they are not in the Caribbean atall but instead apart of the South American continent.

bigbootyjo
    Quote Originally Posted by fiyah
    Guyana is one of the nations in CARICOM and culturally and politically are apart of the British West Indies. Geographically they are not in the Caribbean atall but instead apart of the South American continent.
    What is this??

Credits
    Quote Originally Posted by bigbootyjo
    What is this??
    Caribbean Common Market. Consists of 14 sister-member countries of the Caribbean community. Members include: Antigua and Barbuda, Bahamas, Barbados, Belize, Dominica, Grenada, Guyana, Jamaica, Montserrat, St. Kitts and Nevis, St. Lucia, St. Vincent, Surinam, Trinidad and Tobago. They have established a goal to become a single market allowing for the free movement of labor in 1997. Conspicuous by their absence are the Cayman Islands and the British Virgin Islands, two major players in international banking and finance

bigbootyjo
    Caribbean Common Market. Consists of 14 sister-member countries of the Caribbean community. Members include: Antigua and Barbuda, Bahamas, Barbados, Belize, Dominica, Grenada, Guyana, Jamaica, Montserrat, St. Kitts and Nevis, St. Lucia, St. Vincent, Surinam, Trinidad and Tobago. They have established a goal to become a single market allowing for the free movement of labor in 1997. Conspicuous by their absence are the Cayman Islands and the British Virgin Islands, two major players in international banking and finance
    Thanks so much for the clarification. Damn, I just took a class and ain't even know!

Credits
    WRONG!

CARICOM is Caribbean (CARI) COMMUNITY (COM)=CARI COM

Toppa_Toppa
    Quote Originally Posted by VINCYPOWA
    WRONG!

CARICOM is Caribbean (CARI) COMMUNITY (COM)=CARI COM
    It's that or Caribbean Common Market. Either or.

Credits
    The next thing you know, someone is going to say CARICOM means the CENTRAL AMERICAN COMMON MARKET

bigbootyjo
    Ok, you are saying either or?? How can it be botH??

Credits
    Quote Originally Posted by bigbootyjo
    Ok, you are saying either or?? How can it be botH??
    Vincy's answer is de rt one...

bigbootyjo
    Quote Originally Posted by bajiman
    Thanks!

Credits
    "The establishment of the Caribbean Community and Common Market (CARICOM) was the result of a 15-year effort to fulfil the hope of regional integration which was born with the establishment of the British West Indies Federation in 1958. It was a Federal Government drawn from 10 member islands. Although a plan for a Customs Union was drawn up, emphasis was not placed on economic aspects of Federation during the four years of its existence. Economically the Region remained as it had been for centuries and not even Free Trade was introduced between the Member Countries during this period. The West Indies Federation came to an end in 1962 but its end, in many ways must be regarded as the real beginning of what is now the Caribbean Community."

This excerpt is the first paragraph of the History of CARICOM at the CARICOM website. http://www.caricom.org

Guyana is a member of CARICOM and the Caribbean at large because it is considered the gateway to South Aerica, it is the only English-speaking country in South America.

Toppa_Toppa
    Quote Originally Posted by bajiman
    No it isn't. it's either Caribbean Community or Caribbean Common Market.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast