Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree4Likes

Thread: Great two part video documentary: Reggae The Story Of Jamaican Music BBC Documentary

Credits

Thumbs up Great three part documentary: Reggae The Story Of Jamaican Music BBC Documentary

Btw Jimmy Cliff in a momentary lapse of honesty in this Reggae documentary admits that Reggae developed from Calypso. I wonder how many Jamaicans are going to want to condemn Jimmy Cliff for admitting that?!

Interestingly Lord Creator who is originally from San Fernando, Trinidad and who started his career as a Calypso & Jazz singer in Trinidad before moving to Jamaica in late 1959 during the West Indies Federation period is also featured in the documentary talking about his time working with the Ska-talites.

Also possibly due to the brief space given to rock steady in the documentary, they failed to mention that the majority of rock steady hit recordings made between 1965 and 1968 featured and were arranged by Nerlynn Taitt who practically lived in Duke Reid's Treasure Isle and other top Jamaican studios as a session musician. Go here Evolution of Jamaican Reggae and the Trini Contribution (Interesting facts) for more details.

BBC Reggae The Story of Jamaican Music Programme 1 Forward March

Go to 15:00 in the documentary to hear Jimmy Cliff tell you that Reggae evolved from Calypso

BBC Reggae The Story of Jamaican Music Programme 2 Rebel Music

BBC Reggae The Story of Jamaican Music Programme 3 As Raw As Ever
    Catch me as Soca PhD Every Saturday 2-4pm GMT
    On www.GenesisRadio.co.uk (91.6FM);
    Every Tueday 6-8pm & Friday 8-10pm GMT
    On www.HavitLive.co.uk (99.1FM);
    www.facebook.com/socaphd
    email: projampro@yahoo.co.uk

Hailing from Trinidad & Tobago and very proud of it!!
    Land of Calypso, Steelband, Limbo, Parang, Rapso, Chutney-Soca, Soca, Jamoo, Panjazz and the Biggest, Best & Most Influential Caribbean Carnival in the World with no apology!
    Together We Aspire & Together We Achieve!!

Credits
    And here is a great documentary about Bob Marley's life with narration by Trinidad's Darcus Howe.

Note that Bob says that most of the Jamaican musicians started out playing Calypso before moving into ska because of the American influence and then to rock steady and then to reggae.

Bob Marley and The Wailers - Caribbean Nights Documentary

Go to 15:00 in video to hear Bob Marley talk about how Jamaican music evolved
    www.facebook.com/socaphd

Land of Calypso, Steelband, Limbo, Parang, Rapso, Chutney-Soca, Soca, Jamoo, Panjazz and the Biggest, Best & Most Influential Caribbean Carnival in the World with no apology!

Credits
    And here is another great documentary this time about Peter Tosh the rebel in the Original Wailers.

Peter Tosh - Behind the Music
    Lucianite likes this.
    www.facebook.com/socaphd

Credits
    Interviewed by Emprezz. Bunny Wailer, (born Neville O'Riley Livingston, 10 April 1947, Jamaica), also known as Bunny Livingston and affectionately as Jah B, is a singer songwriter and percussionist and was an original member of reggae group The Wailers along with Bob Marley and Peter Tosh. A three-time Grammy award winner, he is considered one of the longtime standard bearers of reggae music.

Exclusive interview with Bunny Wailer, in Empress' Studio
    www.facebook.com/socaphd

Credits
    Calypso is from Trinidad, Reggae is from Jamaica...period.

Aren't you trinidadians tired of leaching off our cultural achievements??? SMH

Desperate much

Credits
    Quote Originally Posted by Jamrok View Post
    Calypso is from Trinidad, Reggae is from Jamaica...period.

Aren't you trinidadians tired of leaching off our cultural achievements??? SMH

Desperate much
    Did anyone argue anywhere in posts I made that Calypso is not from Trinidad or Reggae is not from Jamaica?

I don't think so, so why don't you refrain from posting if you have nothing intelligent to add to this thread?

The only person who is acting desperate and showing signs of colonial brainwash is you my friend.

At least I understand that our fore-parents came from Africa and that most tribes were split up and mixed up between the Caribbean islands during slavery to minimize the chances of us uniting and defeating the European's clever plan to divide and rule African people in the Caribbean and around the world.
    www.facebook.com/socaphd

Credits
    Quote Originally Posted by Socapro View Post
    Did anyone argue anywhere in posts I made that Calypso is not from Trinidad or Reggae is not from Jamaica?

I don't think so, so why don't you refrain from posting if you have nothing intelligent to add to this thread?

The only person who is acting desperate and showing signs of colonial brainwash is you my friend.
    There is no question that calypso and reggae are closely related especially in the riddim guitar and in some of the percussive rhythms. All you have to do is listen to this significant song for jamaican independence sung by a trini calypsonian who moved to jamaica in the 60s...and you can hear the beginnings of reggae in the strumming instruments and in some of the percussive rhythms.

I hath 9 and 90 tribulations and nary a one doth concern a wench!

Credits
    Now take the guitar strumming in the previous song....use the same up down motion but only hit the strings on the downstroke and you get the guitar strumming pattern in this song. There in lies the influence of Lynn Taitt on Jamaican music.

I hath 9 and 90 tribulations and nary a one doth concern a wench!

Credits
    Quote Originally Posted by dedetriniking View Post
    There is no question that calypso and reggae are closely related especially in the riddim guitar and in some of the percussive rhythms. All you have to do is listen to this significant song for jamaican independence sung by a trini calypsonian who moved to jamaica in the 60s...and you can hear the beginnings of reggae in the strumming instruments and in some of the percussive rhythms.

Just to correct you Lord Creator actually moved to Jamaica from Trinidad in 1959 during the West Indies Federation period. Here are some more details on Lord Creator.

The Lord Creator (alongside fellow Trinidadians Lynn Taitt, Lord Brynner and Lord Laro) was an important and positive 'outside' influence during the early development of the Jamaican music scene.
    Born Kentrick Patrick in San Fernando Trinidad, Lord Creator moved to Jamaica in late 1959 due to the huge popularity he had achieved with his Calypso Swing smash hit song 'Evening News' recorded in Trinidad in early 1959 with the Fitz Vaughan Bryan's Orchestra. When it came to singing smooth ballads or letting loose over Calypso or Ska arrangements he was a 'cut above' and Lord Creator became a much loved performer all over Jamaica...and beyond.

Kentrick Patrick with the Fitz Vaughn Bryan Orchestra - Evening News (March 1959)

Original version of song by Lord Creator recorded in Trinidad before he left for Jamaica.

This song is about the characters who sold the popular Evening News paper in T&T between 1935 & 1989.
    Done in Calypso Swing style it was released in Trinidad on the Cook label and in the UK on the Melodisc label in 1959. This is one of the tracks that inspired Melodisc which specialized in Calypso and Mento releases to set up their Blue Beat label in 1960 that specialized in R&B music from Jamaica and the other Caribbean islands.
    The Blue Beat label became the mainstay in the UK in the 1960's for Ska music releases.

"Evening News" (Cook label Trinidad) YouTube link: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FRJ_S74m1sU

And here is the first Ska version of "Evening News" that Lord Creator recorded in Jamaica in 1965 that was released on the Bluebeat label especially setup by Melodisc Records for Jamaican and Caribbean R&B releases.

Lord Creator - Evening News (1965)

First ska version of Evening News that was recorded after Lord Creator moved to Jamaica.

I don't think this Ska version is as good as the original Calypso swing version recorded 6 years previously in Trinidad but maybe I am being biased.
    dedetriniking likes this.
    www.facebook.com/socaphd

Credits
    Calypso is dead and nobody cares about soca music. The only reason you are writing these things is because you have seen how successful reggae music became and you are trying to take some credit for it. Its not gonna happen though! Despite the novel that you wrote, reggae will always be synonymous with Jamaica.

Credits
    Quote Originally Posted by Jamrok View Post
    Calypso is dead and nobody cares about soca music. The only reason you are writing these things is because you have seen how successful reggae music became and you are trying to take some credit for it. Its not gonna happen though! Despite the novel that you wrote, reggae will always be synonymous with Jamaica.
    My colonially brainwash negro friend, this thread is not about who is better than who, nor is it designed to take credit away from Jamaica for reggae music.

It is simply an educational thread that shows the link between T&T and Jamaica's music and demonstrates that all Caribbean music has one root which goes back to Africa.

It shows you that the Whiteman's colonial brainwash which makes people like you believe that Jamaicans and Trinidadians are not part of the same cultural and musical family is a myth to keep us all divided so that his divide and rule scheme will keep us as a people where we presently are.

It is time to grow-up and to emancipate yourself from mental slavery my friend just as Bob preached in song.
    www.facebook.com/socaphd

Credits
    Another one of these threads?
    Is he averaging about one a month?
    Is the fact that Jamaica created one of the most successful and enduring musical art forms too much for that Trini to bear?

Let it go Saucy Pro. You seem Frozen.
    Jamrok likes this.
    Say no to drugs.
    Smoke weed.

Credits
    Quote Originally Posted by Georgeflash View Post
    Another one of these threads?
    Is he averaging about one a month?
    Is the fact that Jamaica created one of the most successful and enduring musical art forms too much for that Trini to bear?

Let it go Saucy Pro. You seem Frozen.
    Listen here my colonially brainwashed Negro friend.

Maybe this might be too much for your brain to phantom but other Africans who were born outside of Jamaica also enjoy reggae music and some even contributed to its evolution. That does not mean however that reggae is not Jamaican so no needs to get your insecure panties in a twist.

I simply happen to understand about the evolution of reggae more than most Jamaicans including yourself and so love to share what I know but the information is out there for anyone to get hold of if they honestly have the interest in Caribbean music like I do and want to increase their knowledge.

Now no need to act so insecure and to get your panties in a twist, just say thank you if you learned something about your own music that you did not already know and move along.
    www.facebook.com/socaphd

Credits
    All these videos are old and have been discussed here time and time again.

As usual you all took the bait.
    SWAGGERIFIC likes this.
    Ti sourit, ti sourit se nan pèlen ou rete
    Rat ki rat se nan pèlen ou rete
    Tèt zozo men pa ou, zozo kale men pa ou
    M ap konyen fanm nan jis solèy leve
    Bwa m kale tou wouj
    Kon piman , kon piman, Langyèt madivinèz
    Ou pa bezwen chandèl pou ou klere l

Credits
    Quote Originally Posted by tikreyol View Post
    All these videos are old and have been discussed here time and time again.

As usual you all took the bait.
    I posted those videos for my own entertainment as well as to enlighten those who may not have seen them before.

Self-centered people like you seem to believe that because something may have been posted here before that everyone watched it or may have fully appreciated it.

There are lots of folks around who don't read or watch every video that is posted including folks like yourself.

With all that said I can guarantee you had not picked up before on most of the things that I have pointed out but your false pride would not allow you to admit it.
    www.facebook.com/socaphd

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast