Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Gory ads aim to wean young Britons off junk food

Credits

Gory ads aim to wean young Britons off junk food

LONDON (AFP) - A hamburger bun filled with bones, gristle and gory connective tissue is the latest tool aimed at weaning youngsters in Britain of fast food.

The British Heart Foundation (BHF) launched a poster campaign Monday depicting common ingredients in hamburgers, hot dogs and chicken nuggets in an effort to get children thinking about what they are eating.

Though the images are partially covered by a censored stamp, leaving some of the details to one's imagination, the ingredients can be seen in their entirety at the charity's website (www.bhf.org.uk/food).

The Food4Thought campaign, targeted at the 11- and 12-year-old age group, comes after a BHF survey found that 36 percent of eight- to 14-year-olds did not know that potatoes were the main ingredient in French fries.

Almost one in 10 thought fries -- or "chips" as they're known to Britons -- were made of oil, and other guesses included eggs, flour and apples.

A similarly surprising 37 percent of children did not know that cheese was made mostly of milk.

"It sends a shiver down my spine to discover that so many children don't even know what chips are made of," said BHF director general Peter Hollins.

"This campaign is about talking to children in their language and sparking their curiosity so that they think about what they eat and start demanding healthier options."

Credits
    Cheese have milk?

sharkie
    Quote Originally Posted by Skilzman
    Cheese have milk?

Credits
    FRIES have oil and eggs!! BWAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA

Hills was right!.. the brits are dumb as fuq

Credits
    Quote Originally Posted by LONDON (AFP)
    Almost one in 10 thought fries -- or "chips" as they're known to Britons -- were made of oil, and other guesses included eggs, flour and apples.

A similarly surprising 37 percent of children did not know that cheese was made mostly of milk.
    and all this time we been sayin americans are dumb

chrza
    wow...

LGN
    Credits
    Quote Originally Posted by Mystic Xtremist
    and all this time we been sayin americans are dumb

LGN
    Credits
    This Fatty Arbuckles ting only really affects certain ethnic groups. So dont think its the whole population.

BABIES born to black or Asian mothers have a better nutritional start in life than white infants because their mothers are less likely to smoke and more likely to breastfeed. A study of almost 19,000 children born across Britain at the start of the 21st century found the health of young children was affected by their ethnic background.

The Centre of Longitudinal Studies at the Institute of Education in London also found that early childhood has changed over the last 50 years, with more mothers aged over 30 and more fathers likely to attend a birth.

Heather Joshi, co-editor of Children of the 21st Century: From Birth to Nine Months, said many of the children from ethnic minority families lived in poor urban areas but were still healthier than their white counterparts.

"Although babies born to minority ethnic mothers were more likely to come from low income families and live in poor areas, they were also more likely to be breastfed and less likely to be exposed to cigarette smoke," she said.

"There is good evidence that children's health benefits from being breastfed. Children whose parents smoke risk respiratory illness, slower growth and slower development."

Rosie Dodds, a policy researcher at the National Childbirth Trust, said ethnic minority mothers were more likely to breastfeed for cultural reasons, having seen their mothers and family breastfeed, and because there was more support among the community for the practice.

She added: "The first few months is a very influential time and I would say that breastfeeding and not smoking are two of the most effective things you can do to improve children's health."

Professor Shirley Dex, a co-editor of the study, said the findings showed how the circumstances children are born into has changed. More than a fifth of babies were delivered by Caesarean section - twice as many as in 1970. And more than a third of first-time mothers were over 30, compared to only 8 per cent in 1946.

More mothers were in paid work compared to earlier generations. However, the family set-up remains traditional, with 85 per cent of babies born into families where the parents were living together.

And 93 per cent of these fathers were present at the birth, while fathers were present at less than half of births where parents were not cohabiting.

Professor Dex said: "Fashion has changed on this and fathers are now encouraged to be part of the process of antenatal care, through the birth and by taking paternity leave."

Barbados my home no matter where ever I go
    Credits
    I must admitt that I am v. partial to sweets, not really chocolate, though there are times when a bag on m&m nuts will get me through the morning nicely.

Kids these days are too lazy, they spend all they time on the pc, watching mtv base and ting and en goin out tuh play nuh sport.

I don't expect to see any talented youngsters to rep for GB when we have the olympics in 2012.

Thats my thought

LGN
    Credits
    Quote Originally Posted by SwEeTsOcAlAdY
    I must admitt that I am v. partial to sweets, not really chocolate, though there are times when a bag on m&m nuts will get me through the morning nicely.

Kids these days are too lazy, they spend all they time on the pc, watching mtv base and ting and en goin out tuh play nuh sport.

I don't expect to see any talented youngsters to rep for GB when we have the olympics in 2012.

Thats my thought
    too far

Credits
    I only say that coz de youth like they gine de wrong way, they want quick success, not things that take time.

Besides the local govts are letting all the facilities become run down or excluding certain folk from using facilities by making tings too expensive tuh use.

Tennis courts cost bout £8 - 11 per hour by me. Dat too much

LGN
    Credits
    I only say that coz de youth like they gine de wrong way, they want quick success, not things that take time.

Besides the local govts are letting all the facilities become run down or excluding certain folk from using facilities by making tings too expensive tuh use.

Tennis courts cost bout £8 - 11 per hour by me. Dat too much
    I know a few and know of lots of talented youth(and im not talking about X who plays for the local crappy sunday side)
    so UK should be alright for 2012.

But the tennis courts near you are too much.

Credits
    u know tennis courts are too hard to find.

I blame the parents too, they need to encourage their kids in the right way and not buy too much junk food to put in the treats cupboard

LGN
    Credits
    u know tennis courts are too hard to find.

I blame the parents too, they need to encourage their kids in the right way and not buy too much junk food to put in the treats cupboard
    Very True. Thats why when I have children Im gonna to tell my kids to stay away from children bajan-brit children

Credits
    Quote Originally Posted by Wadadlian Defoe
    Very True. Thats why when I have children Im gonna to tell my kids to stay away from children bajan-brit children
    wait, wah yuh tryin tuh say there man?

My kids gine be workin so hard they won't have time tuh pill on de pounds. *jokes*

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast