Thread: Google killer?

Credits

Google killer?

Wolfram Research: Mathematica, Technical and Scientific SoftwareWolfram Alpha: Not Another Google Killer

Techtree News Staff, May 18, 2009 1626 hrs IST
    Went live last week
    E-MailPrint
    Wolfram Alpha, the revolutionary search engine that calculates and computes your queries, instead of directing you to other sources of information has gone live from May 15.

We had recently reported about this in one of our Future Watch articles. Back then, since the service was a closed beta and we had some time to test the search engine, here are our first impressions of it.
    The tool (it's more of a tool, less a search engine) is the brainchild of Stephen Wolfram, a computer scientist from Britain. The principle difference between Wolfram Alpha and other conventional search engines is the fact that instead of "looking for" information on the web, it wades through huge databases of information to throw accurate results and answers to queries, instead of a link where you "might" receive an answer to your query.

With Wolfram Alpha, you can compute something seemingly simple as the distance between two places or something seemingly complex as the current position of the Andromeda galaxy and details regarding it. You can even enter a mathematic formula or calculate. The answers are usually backed with extensive charts and graphs giving the service more of an encyclopedia-ic feel. But then, what would make people use this one instead of Wikipedia, for example? People would prefer Wolfram Alpha over it because Wikipedia cannot process calculations real time!

Credits
    was reading about this a while ago, ah think this engine is more "fact" base.
    was gonna post it in tech sec.

And funny how google breaking down, they news area broke down today, along with gmail.
    Never argue with a fool:
    First they will bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.

100% vincy flow from me morrow, who nah like that go suck on dey bone we nah follow.

No por ke me vean huaraches, piensen ke soy guacalero

Ragga soca ,Claws music and power soca/ps music and bongay music a fu we own

Credits
    I wouldn't say they will be a google killer, but definitely a google alternative. Last company that stated such....well...lets just say they are no longer in business.

Credits
    Quote Originally Posted by S.A.T.O.R.E-S.A.N View Post
    was reading about this a while ago, ah think this engine is more "fact" base.
    was gonna post it in tech sec.

yeah i think thea are a bit different and wil appeal to different users

And funny how google breaking down, they news area broke down today, along with gmail.
    what time was this?i didnt notice

Credits
    Quote Originally Posted by . View Post
    what time was this?i didnt notice
    between the hours of 8 and 10.

edit: not the mail, dat was last week, but i did experience props on saturday
    Last edited by S.A.T.O.R.E-S.A.N; 05-18-2009 at 08:39 PM.
    Never argue with a fool:
    First they will bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.

100% vincy flow from me morrow, who nah like that go suck on dey bone we nah follow.

No por ke me vean huaraches, piensen ke soy guacalero

Ragga soca ,Claws music and power soca/ps music and bongay music a fu we own

Spranga
    cuil, kgb, add this victim to the list

Credits
    Quote Originally Posted by S.A.T.O.R.E-S.A.N View Post
    between the hours of 8 and 10.

edit: not the mail, dat was last week, but i did experience props on saturday
    o i c
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Bean View Post
    cuil, kgb, add this victim to the list
    werd.