Thread: This Is A Good Idea Dominica

Credits

Thumbs up This Is A Good Idea Dominica

Proposed project to enhance partnership between schools in Dominica and Guadeloupe – Dominica News Online

I believe this was done in wake of the juvenile murder which happened recently; regardless this is a great response.

Credits
    This is a great idea. Guadeloupe is arguably Dominica's greatest Ally.

I doubt this came as a result of the recent tradegy, seems like something that would have been planned for a while. They probably chose now to implement it in light of what happened. Either way it is a great thing. Its a good gesture considering the current mood between Gwada and D A.

Creole the language has been dying a death over the years in Dominica, this may be the answer to that. Teaching the young ones so they can bring it back.

I can only see positives in this.

Credits
    i wouldnt say its dying, i think its actually starting to come back. there are lots of creole programs in dominica already.

Credits
    Quote Originally Posted by Lappo View Post
    i wouldnt say its dying, i think its actually starting to come back. there are lots of creole programs in dominica already.
    When last you go Roseau and hear a young man/woman talking creole?

Credits
    Quote Originally Posted by Vyenegre Reloaded View Post
    When last you go Roseau and hear a young man/woman talking creole?
    I agree. I've been to St Lucia and Dominica and people in St Lucia my age were talking Creole wayyyyyy more than in Dominica.
    "sa ki ta'w sé ta'w, la rivié pé pa chayé'l "

Father, before mi mind get bad
    Betta yuh flip it round and mek mi mind get mad
    Mi prefer fi work hard everyday fi achieve mi goals
    Nah grudge nobody fi dem own

Credits
    i find you fellas are underestimating the youth of dominica. roseau isn't the cultural capital of dominica, grand bay is. roseau is the business capital, and english is a global language and official language of dominica. still many young people in roseau speak creole because they have to deal with family, and tourists from guadeloupe. the government has been creating incentives for youth to speak creole more. they are now seeing the importance of investing in culture. btw if you step out of roseau and go to a place like grandbay for example, you may hear more youths speaking creole than english. and i dont know how st lucia came into the conversation.

Credits
    Underestimating? Bro when last you go Roseau and hear fellas pull up bayfront talking creole? You out of touch. When you go Lucia everybody talking creol, everywhere. D A, town people (and surroundings) not in dat. Travel and see for yourself the dramatic difference between Lucia n Dominica when comes to creole. Lucia come into the convo because they are an example of where we should be with our creole language.

And fellas not talking creole, when they meet a lil Francais ting they trying a ting, half creole n half english, not proper creole. But as you said, Grandbay and anywhere away from town still have creole strong.

Credits
    Ok guys, you cannot paint a whole country with the same brush. that is your opinion. All of my family in roseau, young or old can speak creole. the Krenglish that you describe is what I hear lucians speak, and honestly I have problems understanding them sometimes. at the end of the day, lets look at facts. remember st lucia population is more than twice as big as dominica. yet look at the impact of dominica's impact in the past and now in the creole world. wcmf, bouyon huge in guadeloupe and paris, the golden age of cadence, jing ping and bele. If Lucians is where we want to be with our creole language, that is short selling us. you should know how much lucians listen to dominican music if you've been there.

Credits
    i think some of all you have de wrong idea, this project was not a last minute effort to save the creole language in dominica from extinction, it is just 1 of many incentives from the government to ensure the creole language stays prevalent, and the next wck, or grammacks can flourish

Credits
    Quote Originally Posted by Lappo View Post
    Ok guys, you cannot paint a whole country with the same brush. that is your opinion. All of my family in roseau, young or old can speak creole. the Krenglish that you describe is what I hear lucians speak, and honestly I have problems understanding them sometimes. at the end of the day, lets look at facts. remember st lucia population is more than twice as big as dominica. yet look at the impact of dominica's impact in the past and now in the creole world. wcmf, bouyon huge in guadeloupe and paris, the golden age of cadence, jing ping and bele. If Lucians is where we want to be with our creole language, that is short selling us. you should know how much lucians listen to dominican music if you've been there.
    You confusing the ting, D A musically has always been extremly influential accross the caribbean. But that don't change the fact that Lucia talking plenty more patois then us. When you go Castries them man will have you maway with patois, is only when they interacting with foreigners they talk English. D A is the exact opposite, is only when we interacting with them Francais we does talk a lil creole.

Credits
    if you say so...