Thread: Give up the beach??

Credits

Give up the beach??

The Community of Woodford Hill in the North East of the island (DOMINICA)has approximately two months to make up their minds on whether they want a major 200 hotel resort built on the coastline there and lose access to the most popular beach in the area.

The investors who want to build the U-S 60 million dollar resort have told Tourism Minister Yvor Nassief that they are prepared to build the resort but with the condition that the beach in Woodford Hill be totally exclusive to their visitors.

However, the investors request have not gone well with a number of the villagers who are currently not prepared to give up the beach to the foreigners.

“We have had two meetings so far in the Wesley/Woodford hill area. We will have many as I find it necessary until I get a feel and a sense of what the community wants.

“I made it very clear to them that if they do want to compromise their access to the beach then it’s simply a matter of communicating that to the operators and then they will have to think of something else.

“There are other beaches in the area, so one possible compromise is that government can put in an access road and do what work need to be done to make these adjacent beaches as safe and comfortable.

“If they insist that they want complete access to Woodford hill Beach then that creates a problem for us and we will have to look elsewhere for the project,” Nassief told The Times.

According to Nassief, the high end operators are concerned about beach access, beach safety and beach control.

“When visitors come and spend 5, 6, 7, 800 bucks for a room, they do expect for privacy and safety.

“Now the Woodford hill beach is a well established beach used by the villagers in the surrounding areas and there understandable concerns, but we don’t want to bring an operator or an investor here and after the project starts that’s when the beach access will be an issue.

“The challenge we face in Dominica is that we have very few white sand beaches. When you’re looking at a flag operator…they are looking for white sand beach and we have so few that it is going to involve a certain level of compromise,” Nassief continued.

The Tourism Minister told The Times that his Ministry is not prepared to move until he is satisfied that there is overwhelming support from the community.

“There has to be compromise because it can’t be forced on the community but it is a development which will create jobs…so there will be economic benefits to the community.

“The community has to think through whether it wants to sacrifice access to the beach as it presently is for better economic prospects in the area or whether it does not want that.

“If they do not want it we will not proceed. I am not in the business of bringing people here and set them up in a trap. If they are not in favour of it then there is no point exposing developers to a hostile environment.”

Nassief says the issue may be divided along political lines but he is encouraging constituents to look beyond that.
    Last edited by Nica; 08-09-2006 at 10:30 AM.
    Those Who Sacrifice Freedom for Security Deserve Neither
    www.cookingwithval.com
    http://www.snackhealthy.com/snackwithval
    @cookingwithval
    @NicaBlack

Credits
    madness...i hope they don't do it..that would be a los...money isn't everything...

Credits

oh hell no.

yes, development such as this will create jobs and bring economic benefits to the community. But giving up that beach is a big sacrifice. Dominica needs to put in place some type of beach access laws as they have in the VI to prevent Hotels from barring natives from the beach.

Credits
    Quote Originally Posted by yellowman

oh hell no.

yes, development such as this will create jobs and bring economic benefits to the community. But giving up that beach is a big sacrifice. Dominica needs to put in place some type of beach access laws as they have in the VI to prevent Hotels from barring natives from the beach.
    they do that there? wasn't aware of that
    www.cookingwithval.com
    @cookingwithval
    @NicaBlack

Credits
    Like Gabby said... Jack doh want me to bathe on my beach!

This is total madness

Credits
    I may be mistaken but wasn't there such an issue in St. Lucia sometime last year?
    www.cookingwithval.com
    @cookingwithval
    @NicaBlack

Credits
    Quote Originally Posted by Val
    However, the investors request have not gone well with a number of the villagers who are currently not prepared to give up the beach to the foreigners.

Let these ones decide!

Credits
    As St. Lucia develops it's tourism product, that has been an ongoing issue. The beach at Pigeon Island is partly taken over by Sandals, and now a new hotel is being constructed. As a matter of fact Sandals has that beach fenced off... The power of Butch! At Reduit, another hotel Bay Gardens Beach resort is under construction

The thing is legally, people are not barred from the beach. But when the hotel is right there, their security will harass locals. And for your comfort and relaxation you just don't go. So the more beach front hotels they construct, the less beach access we have.

Taj
    Credits
    Its not worth it....

Job opportunities so an 18 yr old can be a front desk receptionist all her life...maybe not having it would encourage her to seek other more lucrative options.

I hate that no access thing....

Privacy and security...what is really the crime rate in Dominica that this is necessary.
    Cant they just have security affiliated with the hotel at the beach or something?
    “A sharp knife never proclaims it’s sharpness to the world…but the first to fall against it becomes it’s advocate.”

You can put any face behind a mask but be careful cos someone else might be pretending. You might not be the only one with a secret -- Cassie/Gretel

Credits
    Quote Originally Posted by DCGyal
    their security will harass locals.
    RETURN THE FAVOR and see who wins!

Credits
    Quote Originally Posted by DCGyal
    As St. Lucia develops it's tourism product, that has been an ongoing issue. The beach at Pigeon Island is partly taken over by Sandals, and now a new hotel is being constructed. As a matter of fact Sandals has that beach fenced off... The power of Butch! At Reduit, another hotel Bay Gardens Beach resort is under construction

The thing is legally, people are not barred from the beach. But when the hotel is right there, their security will harass locals. And for your comfort and relaxation you just don't go. So the more beach front hotels they construct, the less beach access we have.
    whoa...when did that happen?

Taj....crime in Dominica is few and far between and the area in question, hardly anything ever happens there. It's the country side, mostly farmers live round there, and their squabbles are usually about you plant stuff on my land or you steal my fruit
    www.cookingwithval.com
    @cookingwithval
    @NicaBlack

Credits
    these damn politicians i tell ya. I hope the people living in that community dont sell themselves out to the devil. The politicians are gonna try their best to sway the people so that the politicians pockets will be extra EXTRA green!

Why doesnt the government fix up the "other" beach that they are talking about and give THAT beach to the developers?

Taj
    Credits
    Quote Originally Posted by Val
    whoa...when did that happen?

Taj....crime in Dominica is few and far between and the area in question, hardly anything ever happens there. It's the country side, mostly farmers live round there, and their squabbles are usually about you plant stuff on my land or you steal my fruit
    It makes u realize when they use culture as a selling pt for tourism they dont really mean it ...they just want it to be exclusive like they are in their own world

Couldnt that be taken into consideration...I hope the country ppl protest it

They so insistent on now access...they not even willing to share it seems like.
    “A sharp knife never proclaims it’s sharpness to the world…but the first to fall against it becomes it’s advocate.”

You can put any face behind a mask but be careful cos someone else might be pretending. You might not be the only one with a secret -- Cassie/Gretel

Credits
    Quote Originally Posted by Ras_Apache
    these damn politicians i tell ya. I hope the people living in that community dont sell themselves out to the devil. The politicians are gonna try their best to sway the people so that the politicians pockets will be extra EXTRA green!

Why doesnt the government fix up the "other" beach that they are talking about and give THAT beach to the developers?
    I'm not even sure what other beach they're talking about.....the next white sand beach is in the village before that one.....where they want is quite beautiful though.....I did a photo shoot there once for postcards
    www.cookingwithval.com
    @cookingwithval
    @NicaBlack