Thread: Give Dem Some BRASS!!!

Credits

Give Dem Some BRASS!!!

I know some people might not agree with me on this topic but I felt the need to say how unimpressed I have been with Square One's live performances. First of all I really don't think that they should be performing at Brass when they don't have any brass in their band. Alison Hinds is a wonderful performer and has a great voice, but her band does nothing for her. Their songs rarely sound like they do on the radio. I remember when they were first getting big and everyone used to race to the stage to see them. Now, the enthusiasm has diminshed and they are not giving top performances. I seriously think that they need to get some brass, and invest in a better system. When I heard their new song "Bam Bam" on the radio I had to get on bad but, when they performed it, the song just didn't have the same effect. You know tings are bad when another band, with no women (no names mentioned) can perform your song better than you.
    I just think Alison has alot of talent and so should her band.

Credits

RE: Give Dem Some BRASS!!!

Girl, you know I totally agree with you. I get so vex when yuh see they come on the stage at Brass, are you trying to tell me that they haven't figured out why the crowd does hardly respond to them. Oh gosh man, how long do we fete goers have to suffer before Square one gets a clue. Trinyspice, Ilandfntsy, and Socababy all knew how mad i was when they started performing, ah just pick up mihself and went and lime with D Powder Posse and Jumbies. When they were on stage last year, we made time to go and feed ourselves, I pretended like they weren't even on stage. Allison Hinds is super-talented, but I think that she should be complimented by a band that knows what they're doing. I brought an American friend with me and even she was bored by them. It bothers me because at one time they were hot, WHAT HAPPENED?

Iland say to check yuh in box egg!!!

God Bless!

Credits

I think there is some serious problems with Square one, there is no enthusiasm among the members of the band and that is where the problem lies and I guess it comes out in their performances. Every dog has its days and their days as a band are coming to an end... all good things must come to an end.... As for Brass.... That is not Square One... but they have an excellent CD this year again, but I guess the execution on Stage needs to come together.... two major carnivals have past and they were not on the road as a band......

I guess if its a BRASS FEST,,,, Yuh should have have a brass section....

Alison is still a beautiful soca diva!

Credits

you're right, i really can't take the lack of brass in square 1, krosfyah used to be the same, not sure if they still are though. the brass is usually what gets us hyped in a fete, and without it, everything tends to sound bland. i always like allison's tunes on cd, vinyl, etc, but when i hear them live, they do nothing for me. she has had hits since she came out (remember raggamuffin?!), therefore making her the most consistent female in soca, but her band is soft. i love her song "bam-bam", it is off da hook, but i feel the old "hol' yuh bam-bam" beat is what makin it sweeter! when i heard them perfom it at brass, i almost didn't realize she was going into that tune because it wasn't as live as on the record...

but i think most brass bands go through this sometimes, right? sounding better on tape/cd/vinyl than live?

montREALady :-)
    "2gether we aspire, 2gether we achieve"

Credits

FIRST TRINYSPICE, I MUST SAY "AH CAN'T BELIEVE MEH EYES."
    WHAT POSESS YUH GIRL?

OKAY ON THE TOPIC. GOOD POINT MADE, SQUARE ONE DO NEED THE BRASS EVEN THOUGH IT'S NOT THEIR STYLE. THEIR CD IS ALWAYS TOP NOTCH AND THE SONGS ALWAYS SOUND GOOD ON RADIO. PERFORMING LIVE IS A DIFFERENT STORY, AH TINK THE ONLY REASON THEY GET MOVEMENT OUT OF ME IS CAUSE OF THE RUM I WAS DRINKING. AH PROBABLLY HAVE TO TAKE DEM SCHOOLING ON HOW TO GET ON BAD ON THE STAGE.

ONE
    Sando

Credits

what they say..studio singers?....probably people need to tell them in a respectful way how the masses are feeling

I am sure they have some kind of email site

Credits

Dem looking as if they having internal problems as well! I dont know if allyuh remember, but when we all responded to our time at Glow, I asked what was the point of having the band there? Like allyuh said, Ms. Hinds is an amazing performer, she is very talented, and sexy...but dem really disappoint me.

Hmmm!

Peace and Love
    socababy

Credits

IN MY OPINION A SOCA BAND IN THIS DAY AND AGE DOESN'T HAVE TO HAVE A BRASS SECTION TO SOUND GOOD. GOOD USE OF A SYNTHESIZER AND RHYTHM BOXES WILL SUFFICE. SOME BANDS FROM THE LEEWARD ISLANDS SOUND PRETTY GOOD WITHOUT A BRASS SECTION AND CAN PROVIDE ENDLESS ENERGY.

ALSO PRACTICALLY ALL BANDS SOUND DIFFERENT FROM THEIR RECORDING AT ONE TIME OR ANOTHER.

Credits

I am not sure if you did not read what I said properly. The name of the show is BRASS FEST, and I said that Square One shouldn't be performiong at that show witout brass. Eh, Eh I don understand, it's not like I mentioned any other bands. I am sure that there are bands out there that sound okay without brass but Square One is no longer one of them.

Credits

[font size="1" color="#FF0000"]LAST EDITED ON Sep-08-01 AT 02:41 PM (EST)[/font][p][font size="1" color="#FF0000"]LAST EDITED ON Sep-08-01 AT 02:39 PM (EST)[/font]

UHM,UMH! HOW YOU COULD DO ME SO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

IF SQUARE ONE AH USE BRASS IN DEM MUSIC DEM SHOULD BE ALLOW TO PLAY IN DE BRASS FETE BECA DEM AH HAVE BRASS IN DEM KEYBOARD. IF DEM NA WAN FU USE UM, DAS DEM DECISION. IF YOU NA LIKE WHA DEM DO PAN TAP DE TAGE DAS ALRIGHT. YOU NA HAVE FU LIKE UM, BUT NA BAN DEM FROM DE FETE.

HANDS OFF OF SQUARE ONE!

Credits

I really am not trying to attack you or Square One. I realize that some people don't understand the difference between constructive criticism and hating. I am not hating on Square One if you had read my original message you would of known that I am a big fan of Alison Hinds but if her band is no longer appealing then they need to make some changes. Yes it is true that music will sound different live but, Square One is too big to sound like that live.

NO BRASS=NO BRASSS FEST!!

Credits

RE: Shaggy in Barbados

Credits

Hey peeps, Square One is not Allison's band. The band has five or is it six? original members. They all formed this band when they were in secondary school and have remained together ever since.

However they are obviously fragmenting over the past few years with some members not speaking to other band members. One even wanted to take his shares in the band and leave altogether. They need to get their act together fast though as their personal squabbles are affecting their on stage performance.

And as to the question of "live" brass being necessary in Brass Festival, you should note this: Square One has been performing at Caribbean Brass Festival for years with no brass - just synthesiser. And krosfyah has always had brass; it is only recently they have replaced their "live" brass section with another keyboardist - Trevor Cassell from Montserrat, nephew to Arrow. Trevor is also the one who created the "Sak Pase" rhythm for which Edwin Yearwood wrote the lyrics.

Incidentally there have been many bands over the years who performed at Caribbean Brass Festival without "live" brass: Burning Flames and WCK are two ... if I remember correctly.

Bless up

Credits

TRINISPICE,

I COULD TELL IT AINT HATING AND YOU ARE GIVING A CONSTRUCTIVE CRITIQUE. I WASN'T THERE SO I CAN'T JUDGE YOUR CRITICISM.

BUT I STILL SAY DE BAND USING BRASS SOUNDS IN THEIR MUSIC SHOULD BE ALLOWED TO PLAY IN A BRASS FEST.

BELIEVE IT OR NOT I WENT TO WHAT WAS CALLED "THE EASTERN CARIBBEAN BRASS FESTIVAL" IN DA BRONX ON THE SAME NIGHT OF THE BRASS FESTIVAL IN BROOKLYN. IT FEATURED FIVE BANDS: BURNING FLAMES, WCK, JAMBAND, BQE BAND, AND SMALL AXE BAND AND OF THESE JAMBAND WAS THE ONLY ONE WITH A BRASS SECTION. BUT WHEN HEARING THESE BANDS I HEARD BRASS FROM THE KEYBOARD.

MY QUESTION IS DOES A BAND HAVE TO HAVE A BRASS SECTION TO QUALIFY AS A LEGITIMATE SOCA BAND OR A BRASS BAND IF THEY USE BRASS SOUNDS IN THEIR MUSIC?