Thread: A Girl's Best Friend?

Credits

A Girl's Best Friend?

I thought this was interesting and wanted to share:

http://www.amnestyusa.org/diamonds/d4.html

"Out of many, One People"

D'Only1

RE: A Girl's Best Friend?

wow, this was amazing. See you never know the whole story behind the diamond. Now I appreciate that my wedding ring was CUBIC. Thank GOD that I can't afford none. Thanks for the info.

Credits

I'm glad a female posted this. There are plenty of people out there who still don't care and admit to that. Still caught up in the engagement issue. How some people can be so callous I dont know.
    Most of the customers of these diamonds are in Europe and U.S.
    Funny how such a high value is placed on diamonds as a jewelry.
    Before the Europeans arrived, the pre-colonial Africans used diamonds to cut things with, and the kids played with diamonds like rocks, not the value placed on them by western society. Africans back then wore sapphire, gold, and jade as jewelry, not so much the diamonds.
    Anyway, I hope people actually try to boycott diamonds. I read up on this recently and there is supposed to be some sort of cease fire there, but they're still mining and killing people over them. That war has caused tension in that whole region and severely affected 2 other countries there. Many of these companies benefit when there is instability so they can purchase the diamonds cheaply with no regulation. The diamonds are traded for a number of things...$$$, guns, rice, even fruits. I remember a while back I had a conversation with a guy who worked with a mineral company who told me that his company traded Caribbean rice for these diamonds(talk about taking advantage of the situation). He acted like they were being humanitarians comparing themselves to a company in Scottland who tried to mine behind the peoples backs before the soldiers found out and muscled in on that operation. In a stablized country like S.Africa, white companies(D'beers and Anglo-Gold<---now that's blatant) are in charge of diamond mining and blacks are doing the mining with NO safety regulations whatsoever, risking many of their lives. The only black owned mining(mining gold) operation I know of is in Ghana were representatives of the Ashanti nation are in charge, but elsewhere in Africa I only know of Europeans. Seems like all African/black countries are just neo-colonies these days, still struggling for complete independence.

Credits

Phil,
    I think you should change your username to D'Scholar cause you always seem to know so much about pertinent things going on in de community. :)
    I think its really funny how pop culture places so much emphasis on "bling-bling" without taking care of the fundamentals like investing, home ownership, children's education, etc.

Credits

Like I always say: Mi husband go have an easy time pleasin' mi cause I cyan tell de difference between a diamond and a cubic...:) :)

Credits

This makes you think if half of the things we put value in are even worth it,thanks for the eye opener bubbla

Credits

[updated:LAST EDITED ON May-28-02 AT 10:43 AM (EST)]

Thanx for the compliment Topclass. Pop culture has a tendency to turn our brains to mush. Too many people take music and fashion as their religion and the people who have influence perpetuate the same b.s. message over and over...'Ignore reality and indulge yourself in whatever you like whenever you like no matter who it hurts, even if it hurts yourself'. They talk loud without really meaning anything.

Credits

Diamonds are just to beginning of this debate... stop and take a look at the tag on the back of those pants or blouse you are wearing, its a 85% chance that they were made by a woman or a child held in bondage under an oppressive totalitarian regime.

Of the top 100 economies in the world 51 of them are corporation and only 49 are countries.....

Put in perspective, General Motors is bigger than Denmark, DaimlerChryler is bigger than Poland, Shell is bigger than Venezuela IBM is bigger than Singapore and Sony bigger than Pakistan.

She looks like a flower
    but....
    Stings like a bee...

Credits

Good observation....they are all ligaments of the same creature that's silently putting it's tentacles into every nation and people on the globe and sucking them dry of their souls. That's why I'm so skeptical about such new profound interest in Africa,Asia, and other 'developing countries' by nations of the west. Is the interest in these nations innocent and of good will(of course not)? They want to 'help' in the name of the 'one global village' illusion. In reality the steady rise in population of Africa(no matter how hard they tried to facilitate war, famine, and geneticly designed diseases..population growing 800 million and counting) and Asia has generated interest because of cheap labor and SPENDING potential. They say that these nations should open their markets, but then they refuse to open western markets to locally produced goods. China who they criticized for human rights is all of a sudden being supported to join the WTO...why...hmmm, 1 billion potential customers. Even right in the Caribbean, the coporate/govt beast is silently trying to assassinate the local economy while making us a slave to their goods and services. There's so many lies and illusions trying to cloud everything and make us NOT believe what we see in the real world.

Funny thing...I saw Star Wars Episode II 2 weeks ago(talk about art imitating life). The similarities to real life issues were scary.
    The politics, the lies, the illusions('clouding of the force' -for the star wars heads)...and after looking deeply ....all sides and opposing forces were being manipulated by the same beast. Almost made me wonder if there is some hidden message or warning in it.

prettidolli16t

[updated:LAST EDITED ON May-29-02 AT 11:04 AM (EST)]Prettidolli

Topclass:

I knew about this issue years ago by watching a program on channel 13 and an episode of 20/20. It's unfortunate but once again, I'm not afraid to be the odd person out and state that I love diamonds. I EXPECT a diamond engagement ring and NOTHING less. It's just how I feel, and I'll state it. If that makes me callous, so be it, but I prefer the term FORTHRIGHT. I can see several folks typing their thoughts of disdain to Islandmix RIGHT NOW with diamond accented engagement, college, or professional school rings. Would you sell them or discard them? I THINK NOT!! I don't agree with a bling-bling mentality either, but I've always worn them and that's that. One at a time is good enough for me, not too many. Hey, they're expensive, as someone stated before. Africans have raped and mutilated each other for less than diamonds and that fact will NEVER change. The key to this is challenging the legislature and only then will a change occur.......

Credits

Shouldn't we go after the RUF

Many of times we place blame on the cloud but we don't go straight to the problem. It is unfortunate that a society allows these crimes to happen but shouldn't we spend our resources on attacking the RUF?

Credits

RE: Shouldn't we go after the RUF

[updated:LAST EDITED ON May-29-02 AT 02:44 PM (EST)]
    Executive, I see what you're saying but who should attack the RUF?
    Who backs the RUF(and these other militias), who trained the RUF, who buys the diamonds to support the RUF... where are the guns and drugs coming from..how did the chaos start?
    The people who help fund the RUF are right here in our back yard.
    Even worse, soldiers from one of the so called 'modern' nations(not here) were there killing innocent people as well.
    ..... As of recently the stable bordering countries in that region lead by Nigeria banded together to form a multinational force to bring peace to Sierra Leone and the other country Liberia(The wars in these two countries are interconnected). They had no other choice because this would have started a war in that entire region due to tribal(tribe=nation) connections(thanks to the colonial borders nations of people were broken up). The UN and the US didn't want to use the same effort they used in Bosnia(Bosnia's war was Bosnia's fault right?) or Albania. The Afghans war was their problem right......until when? European genocide has to be stamped out early, but African genocide is quietly encouraged. Only recently have other African nations decided to solve the problems of their neighbors because other '1st world' countries have their hidden agendas and things just get worse. We all have yet to realize whatever you do to me or allow to happen to me will sooner or later come to your house...it's one of God's natural laws.

killing each other for less...hmmm....they say no one forces people to kill each other...
    It's our own fault, no one else is to blame but us right? I'll agree depending on the situation, but not in this case.

I'm probably going to repeat myself and I'll try not to be long, but.......

of the conflicts in Africa, even middle east and Asia...a large majority of the soldiers are child soldiers who grow up only knowing fighting. In most cases these young boys are forced and manipulated into killing. They're injected with cocaine and encouraged to use other drugs to make them CALLOUS. This is so calculated. The most dangerous soldiers are ones with no reasoning, no feeling, and a hard edge...if your family is killed and you're 10 years old and 'bigger boys' tell you that if you don't kill, you will be killed what choice do you have? Do you even know better? It's much easier to reason with an adult than with a child, especially a child high on cocaine and weed carrying an automatic weapon. A child who most likely thinks he's a big man when he's toting and AK47 assualt weapon or driving a tank, or using night vision and killing bigger men with rpg's etc. Alot of the generals in charge of these rebel groups are backed by 'u know who' from outside Africa to serve a particular purpose. Usually he strikes a deal to remove the other leader who didn't go along with the 'program'. These conflicts are about as complicated as the middle east. These are cycles that have a deep history in colonialism and nations of people who lost huge aspects of their culture and society being forced to find themselves over again, just like on this side of the world. The good guys and bad guys aren't that clear to see. As I mentioned before people have agendas, SOMEONE is benefitting from these conflicts and enjoy keeping them going. They are serving the purpose of more than just getting diamonds, there is genocide going on. Anyway, there will always be people who just don't care.

Credits

jEEZ PHIL.. I LOVE TO READ YOUR POSTS.. BUT I THINK I NEED TO SUBSCRIBE TO THE CLIFF NOTES... :)

MIAMI MEET AND GREET
    JUNE 8TH 2002
    CAFE MED OF SOUTH BEACH,
    6:30 PM UNTIL
    DRINK SPECIALS ALL NIGHT LONG

Credits

RE: OK ok ... juss one for now - Elite ARk Pic

Credits

Nice one, you got someone here laughing at me(okay, you made me laugh too).....I try to see how I can shorten what I write and it's hard for me alot of times because I'm afraid to leave anything out I think might be important. The day I decide to really write a book, I'll probably get writers block.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast