Thread: This is getting ridiculous...

Credits

This is getting ridiculous...

By Richard Charan
    South Bureau

An elderly couple whose life’s work spawned a multi-million dollar chain of businesses, were last night at the mercy of kidnappers.

Mahase Rampersad, 64, and his wife, Darlin, 62, were snatched from the driveway of their home in Palmiste, San Fernando, on Sunday night after spending the day with their daughter who was celebrating her birthday.

Their kidnappers are believed to be two men and two women.

The couple’s car was found abandoned in a canefield two miles away yesterday.

Up to late last night, family members said no ransom demand had been made. They were especially worried about Mahase because he is debilitated by multiple strokes and is dependent on his medication for diabetes.

An air and ground search was expanded late in evening to include K-9 Unit dogs. The family have begged for urgency because of Mahase Rampersad’s ill health.

The kidnapping took place at Bennet Street, Block Three, an area populated by mainly high-income earners. Many of the homes are patrolled by private security guards.

The Rampersads, who live alone in a sprawling house, had gone to the nearby Pollonais Drive home of their daughter, Geeta Ramjattan, at around 11 a.m. to spend the day. It was their daughter’s birthday.

The couple returned home at 6.20 p.m., triggered the electronic front gate and Darlin Rampersad who was behind the wheel drove in.

A neighbour told police he heard her scream several times and looked out to see their car, a blue Nissan Cifero, speeding away.

A second car, described as a white Datsun 180-B, followed.

Police learned that the Datsun had been parked close to the Rampersads home for several hours. In it were said to be two women wearing straw hats. Someone got a good look at the driver. The “woman” was described as being in her late 20s, of mixed descent, with “oriental-looking eyes” and high cheek bones.

The car carried the registration plate PAA. The numbers on the licence plate are not known, and police said the Licensing Department would take several days to check through their paper files to locate the owners.

It is believed two male accomplices committed the actual abduction, after hiding on the Rampersad property and pouncing when they got out of their car. The house had no security system or guard dogs.

The Rampersads have become the tenth and 11th kidnap victims for the year. They are the first victims from South Trinidad.

Only one has been solved so far.

Investigators believe, however, they can crack this case.

They know the colour, make, model, and partial licence number plate of a get away car.

The Cifero was found intact, the keys still in the ignition, a quarter mile into a canefield road, off the M-2 Ring Road, Woodland.

The Rampersads have four children. After retiring in the mid 1990s, son Mukesh, took over the auto supply business and recently opened a shopping centre off the San Fernando By-Pass.

A second son, Naresh, is the owner of Maska Ltd, an internationally-known company involved in the import of car parts and accessories and the outfitting of performance vehicles.

Maska Ltd also sponsors an indian orchestra, carnival fetes, and sports functions.

At the Rampersad residence yesterday, relatives wept openly.

Police officers visited throughout the day seeking information.

Mukesh Rampersad, who was the first to arrive at his parents home after the incident, could say little.

“All I can tell you is they came last evening and take my parents. No one call about a ransom. My father has two strokes and he is diabetic,” he told the Express.

A family friend said the kidnapped man was disabled by his strokes and needed his diabetes medication at prescribed times to prevent him going into a coma.

“This is what has the family most worried. We are just hoping that the kidnappers treat them good. They are old people”.

Both businesses opened as usual yesterday.

The Rampersads, who are originally from Papourie Road, Barrackpore, were the owners of two branches of M Rampersad Auto Supplies, and moved to Palmiste ten years ago.

ACP Crime Frank Diaz, Snr Supt Clive Reyes, Ag Supt Dyo Mohammed, ASP Krishna Maharaj, Inspt Henry Millington are leading the investigation.

Credits

RE: This is getting ridiculous...

it is, and it means, in other words, that you cannot have money and be safe in trinidad. it's sad

Credits

You're right this is getting ridiculous. My parents are going back with their retirement money and their little 401 (k) and a Left Hand drive car, to stay in a house in Cascade. They are oblivious to it but the rest of the family is concerned. They feel "Trinidad sweet". The government has to get a handle on the situation. I remember years ago they got officials from Scotland Yard to come and re-vamp the Police force, maybe they need to do that again with a tough police commissioner from a high-crime area like DC, NY or LA. What ever happened to Operation Anaconda? Right after Carnival they start off hot and sweaty sweeping thru the country because of all the negative press the country received after all the violence Carnival time. You don't hear anything about that anymore. Something has to be done.

Credits

The kidnappings are more than just ransom for money. The victim's families were also suspected of being involved in an organized crime unit.

Dragon

War over ran$om

[font color="Black" size="2" face="face"]By ROBERT ALONZO

A fierce battle is being waged between the kidnappers involved in the recent abduction of Anthony Sabga III and a rival gang over the ransom paid for the young man’s release.

Intelligence sources revealed yesterday they learned of the underground wrangling even as the Anti-Kidnapping Squad continued its probe into the current spate of kidnappings.

Police sources said they have unearthed evidence that suspects linked to Sabga’s abduction have gone into hiding in fear of being kidnapped themselves by another gang of kidnappers who want part of the loot.

Squad officers said it has come to their attention from underworld characters that some of the suspects connected to Sabga’s abduction have been on a “spending spree” for the last three weeks.

Sabga III, son of A Norman Sabga, chairman and CEO of the ANSA McAl Group, was abducted on July 14 while on his way home from a nightclub in Chaguaramas.

His kidnappers demanded $5 million for his safe release. He was released the night after.

The Sabga family said they paid a ransom, but it was not $5 million.

Police detained five men for questioning in connection with that kidnapping, but the suspects were released because the police had insufficient evidence to lay any charge.
    A senior officer said other suspects have been purchasing jewelry and designer clothing, living a life like wealthy men.

He said the other faction of kidnappers from north Trinidad got word that those men had been involved in Sabga’s kidnapping and want part of the ransom money.

A top officer also revealed another businessman, who was recently kidnapped and released by one gang, was supposed to have been handed over to another gang for a further ransom.

However, the exchange deal between the two gangs for the businessman went sour, resulting in bitterness between the two factions.

Detectives in the Anti-Kidnapping Squad said they have already braced themselves for what they said could turn bloody among rival gangs.

Deputy Police Commissioner Everald Snaggs said yesterday the police have recognised the rise in kidnappings.

He said his officers have been developing strategies to deal with the rise in kidnappings.

Meanwhile, Sheldon Lovell, who was abducted in St Ann’s early Sunday morning, has been released.

Lovell, 32, also known as “Skelly” of Pelican Extension, Morvant, was dropped off in Aranguez by his captors shortly after 1.30 am yesterday.

A demand for $800,000 was made for his release. Police said they had no information if the money was paid.

They said Lovell was badly beaten. He was treated at the Port-of-Spain General Hospital and discharged.

Police have taken a statement from him.

Kidnap victims

Jan 11: Geewan Ramdial
    Mar 25: Primnath Geelal
    May 8: Kenneth Medford
    June 4: Henry Francis
    June 11: Alberto Seranau
    June 29: Fabio Vgas
    July 14: Anthony Sabga III
    July 21: Boodath Ramlogan
    AUG 4: Sheldon Lovell
    Mahess Rampersad
    Darling Rampersad

[/font]

[font color="RED" size="4" face=""][center]Islands United
    Girl Power
    October 10th Miami Carnival
    [/font]
    http://www.islandmix.com/cgi-bin/backchat/dcboard.cgi?az=view_attachment&file=3d400fa20b20e20a.jpg

Credits

RE: War over ran$om

Dragon this article is very interesting.....

pretty sad about that older couple.....hopefully it will work out

Credits

It's very sad to hear that you can't live a wealthy life as you
    please in Trinidad.....and I hope that they find the elderly couple
    in good health!!!!...because that diabetic ting is no joke and
    worse yet he had two strokes and could go into a coma if he dosen't
    take his medication.....IT'S VERY SAD!!!!

..But I had tuh laugh at dem kidnappers who hiding out from the ones in the north...how yuh go be bad and brave enough tuh kidnap someone
    and den be scared of another gang doing de same ting...."WAH IS DA ONE!!!"

De1&only
    Silqq
    "WE WILL CARRY ON & ON!!!!"

trinitat

this is really worrisome for me because my aunts just moved back and my mother is following next year - they are going to open a school in chaguanas and this is where alot of this is happening :o they are preying on the weathy or who appears to be wealthy and my family will stick out like a sore thumb. this is really worrisome 'cause they fel they safe with they gate and ting but de sando people had a gate and high walls too. i doh know, they have to do something to protectthese people man.

Credits

Trinitat, I understand you fully. Now we have to worry about our loved ones back home. I know what you mean. They will stick out. people does know when you come back simply by your clothes and your mannerisms and sometimes a little yankee accent slips out at times. Hopefully they'll get this problem under control.

Credits

That means to live safe in Trini , yuh must wear old clothes and drive a HoopT .

Credits

[updated:LAST EDITED ON Aug-06-02 AT 04:59 PM (EST)]you're right, no matter how we try to fit in, dey does make we out! once, i was wearing a vest (wife-beater :)), jeans and slippers in trinidad, and the chick at the restaurant was like, "you from america?" eh eh...

it have too many people that do not have much in trinidad, so when they see what they want, they take it. they feel as though they have no other resort. b.e.t. and all dem tv programs and music videos does make them feel they have to have it all...they doh study that, ie, puffy went to school and is a business man which lead to successful companies, bad boy and sean john. they feel he get all dem material tings juss so, so they feel they must get it juss so too.

Credits

montREALady , when yuh see I go for carnival , once I touch down in de airport , I does put on meh rubber slippers and a old wash out tee shirt cause ah know dem bandits does be peeping .

Credits

but they still know!!! maybe because we touch down in dey country lookin' pale pale! but it's sad that you cannot move back home without worrying about bandits attacking/kidnapping you. most people when they move to america from the caribbean, it's with the intention to do well and eventually return home. my mother would like to move back, but the violence in trinidad is terrifying. when she was there for ah year and a half, i was a worry-wart! she done so fragile! :'(

Credits

RE: watch antigua carnival live on d net at

Credits

It's really scary. On one end you have these wealthy people getting kidnapped for apparent "ransoms". Then the poor people here getting killed. Seven people in 5 hours gunned down by assassins. I frightened to walk in Trinidad. It's ridiculous. They need to do something about this now. I hearing this before and i like.. they exaggerating. But is when i reach.. it's very very scary.
    The saint and the sinner are just exchanging notes. Every saint has a past and every sinner has a future.

The matador wins by avoiding the bull not colliding with him!