Thread: GERMANY 1 : 0 UNITED STATES

Dragon

GERMANY 1 : 0 UNITED STATES

http://us.news1.yimg.com/us.yimg.com/i/fifa/afp/20020621/i/1141563450.jpg
    German 'keeper and captain Oliver Kahn celebrates after a 39th minute goal by Michael Ballack (not pictured), 21 June 2002 at the Munsu Football Stadium in Ulsan, during quarter-final action between Germany and USA in the 2002 FIFA World Cup Korea/Japan.
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------
    IslandMix Sports

Germany got a lone goal from Michael Ballack to beat the U.S. in a hotly contested match-up in Ulsan, Korea. The Europeans move on to face Korea or Spain in their tenth semi-final.
    The Americans had the bulk of possession and chances, especially in the first half, but the three-time world champions held the lead expertly. The match offered a striking contrast for the Americans to the 2-0 victory that the Germans eased to in France four years ago.

Match facts

After an even start in front of a boisterous crowd in Ulsan, Korea, the US had the best early chances with fast breaks down both wings but the final ball failed to pierce the German defence.

But the pressure from the Americans began to tell and a brilliant solo run by Landon Donovan down the right ended with a curling left foot shot which was superbly tipped round the post by Germany’s keeper Oliver Kahn (17’).

Donovan sprung the offside trap following a searching pass by Claudio Reyna but the San Jose Earthquakes’ player, one on one with Kahn, chose to shoot with his left foot narrowing the angle and allowing the German No 1 to make another fine save (30’).

Germany were looking most dangerous from set pieces and Michael Ballack should have done better with a near post header from a corner from the right side (35’).

It was becoming end to end now and the US broke again with lightening speed as Brian McBride broke down the left and as the ball broke Eddie Lewis slammed it at goal from 20 yards but Kahn produced another fine save (36’).

And then almost inevitably after the US had wasted a host of chances, Germany took the lead. An inswinging corner by Christian Ziege from the right hand side was nodded in by the soaring Ballack (1:0, 39’).

The US were suddenly reeling and Miroslav Klose should have done better from inside the six-yard box following a left wing cross but buried his header against the upright with Brad Friedel nowhere (43’).

The US came out the blocks quicker in the second half and Donovan again tested Kahn after breaking through down the right. The 20-year-old forward chose to shoot from just inside the box but the German captain, having an immense game, blocked the shot round the post (49’).

But Kahn could do nothing from the resultant corner. Gregg Berhalter volleyed downwards and the German keeper could only push the ball onto Torsten Frings standing on the goal line. The US players claimed the ball had crossed the line rather than handball but the referee turned down the protests (50’).

Another fine move moments later almost brought the equaliser the Americans so richly deserved. A clever one-two between McBride and Donovan ended with the latter shooting low on target. But Kahn was again the winner in their personal battle smothering the low shot from the edge of the area (55’).

Klose almost nicked a second for Germany after a speedy break but a great saving tackle by Tony Sanneh kept the score down. As the US broke, Kahn headed clear from outside his own box. The ball fell to Claudio Reyna whose speculative volley from just inside the German half fell just wide of the goal (64’).

Fouls were beginning to litter the contest as the US seemed to feel the pace for the first time in the match. And as the game opened up, Oliver Neuville broke down the left before cutting inside and curling a right foot shot just over the American bar (74’).

The US threw everything forward at the last. With seconds remaining, a cross by Clint Mathis from the right was headed by Sanneh into the side netting (89’).

A brave performance by Bruce Arena’s men but the formidable Kahn was not to be beaten and Germany go through to the semi-finals.

Credits

RE: GERMANY 1 : 0 UNITED STATES

Yes sir I watch both games live too and after all dat yuh write

US Won 2- 1

hahahahaha

The Untouchable One
    Lone Ranger

Credits

I so glad US outta there man.

Now I want to see Senegal take it all the way and if they don't make it, I have no other choice but to pick Brazil, but in the meantime:

SENEGAL, JUMP UP!!!!!

Dragon

[updated:LAST EDITED ON Jun-21-02 AT 11:22 AM (EST)]http://us.news1.yimg.com/us.yimg.com/i/fifa/afp/20020621/i/1812594747.jpg

Lone Ranger what game did you watch. Because the U.S. lost 1-0 to Germany

[font color="RED" size="3.5" face=""]100% lesbian and proud of it [/font]

Credits

Oh Shucks my bad!!

I was still asleep from the two games

For some reason I was thinking of the dam brazil and wrote about the us

sorry man you were right

Brazil 2 - 1 england
    Us 0 - Germany 1

The Untouchable One
    The Lone Ranger

Dragon

You have to cut back on the amount of weed you smoke before the match ………. Joke LOL

Credits

ahahahahha

no worries

L.R

Credits

Somebody pleeeeaassseee stop those Germans from gooestepping into the final

Credits

[updated:LAST EDITED ON Jun-21-02 AT 01:31 PM (EST)]
    In a weird way, I almost kind of wish the US would have won.
    Europe has a monopoly on the number countries in the tournament.
    Every other region only gets a few teams. The total number of teams selected from Europe almost equals the total number of non-European teams selected.

http://fifaworldcup.yahoo.com/en/t/t/c.html

[font color="navy" size="3" face="Arial"]
    Modern democracy is not the freedom to run your life, but the freedom to choose who is going to run your life"
    [/font]

Credits

I glad USA get they tail buss! HAHA! I with de brownskintrini gyul on this one, I want to see Senegal take it all, I find they playin real good.

Credits

RE: jennifer_weekes

Credits

[updated:LAST EDITED ON Jun-21-02 AT 08:12 PM (EST)]
    http://us.news1.yimg.com/us.yimg.com/i/fifa/en/xp/20020620/i/1275846690.jpg

I behind Senegal myself, I plan on watching the game this weekend.

http://fifaworldcup.yahoo.com/en/020621/1/15z6.html

http://fifaworldcup.yahoo.com/en/020620/1/15rl.html

[font color="navy" size="3" face="Arial"]
    Modern democracy is not the freedom to run your life, but the freedom to choose who is going to run your life"
    [/font]