Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Geographic Distribution of POVERTY in Trinidad and Tobago

Measure ur life with Love Doctor's Daughter's Avatar Doctor's Daughter is offline
    Credits

Exclamation Geographic Distribution of POVERTY in Trinidad and Tobago

This is mainly for Opti, so he wont ask too many questions again about disparity of wealth in Trinbago... The EU-Sponsored Poverty Reduction Programme which is located in the Ministry of Social Development commissioned a Survey of Living Conditions in 2007.. These were some of the findings out of the report......

Geographic distribution of Poverty and Indigence by region

The geographic distribution of poverty was highly unequal. The north-east and the south-west of the island of Trinidad were the two poorest areas, but the spread could be conceived in terms of a band that extended from the north-east along the east of the country and then across its south. The Mayaro area that had been poorest for decades, no longer carried that dubious distinction, although its residents had not become well off.

Most of the country’s poor can be located in Siparia (15.1%), Princes Town (11.2%), San Juan/Laventille (11.0%) and Tunapuna/Piarco (10.1); these Regional Corporations (RC) together accounted for 47.4 percent of the total poor population. In terms of the prevalence of poverty within Regional Corporations, Sangre Grande had the most poor persons per 100 in the population; 39.1 percent of the population in the Regional Corporation of Sangre Grande were deemed to be poor. Other regions of high poverty concentration included Princes Town (30%), the Borough of Point Fortin (24.6%), Mayaro/Rio Claro (26.6%) and Siparia (27.7%), all of which showed prevalence rates above 20 percent. In the areas of the highest concentration of the population, some of the poorest live within less than two miles from the most well-off. Figure I provides a chart of the distribution of poverty, while Figure 2 presents a map of poverty by the regions of Trinidad and the parishes of Tobago. The areas in the darkest colour reflect the poorest parts of the country.

Poverty and Ethnicity

In respect of the ethnic distribution, it was found that:
    • Africans tended to more highly represented among the poor than they were in the population at large, but there was a probability of over sampling of Africans in the survey given the demographic composition of the sample and of the last Census;
    • Indians had a lower percentage representation among the indigent, the poor and the vulnerable than was their representation in the population.
    • Those of mixed ethnic origin represented about 27 percent of the sample but accounted for almost 40 percent of the indigent.
    • Other groups such as Chinese, Syrian/Lebanese and Caucasians that together accounted for less than one percent of the sample, were all among the non-poor.

Figure 1

Figure 2

Measure ur life with Love Doctor's Daughter's Avatar Doctor's Daughter is offline
    Credits

Credits
    Good thread
    "Those who are able to see beyond the shadows and lies of their culture will never be understood, let alone believed, by the masses." -Plato

"god is the deification of a culture."
    -Dr Yosef ben-Jochannan

Credits
    so i was right...

Credits
    Quote Originally Posted by MR.BOOMBASTIC View Post
    so i was right...
    about??? look at the map and see who lives where

Credits
    Quote Originally Posted by MR.BOOMBASTIC View Post
    so i was right...

Credits
    Quote Originally Posted by Sweet & Single View Post
    This is mainly for Opti, so he wont ask too many questions again about disparity of wealth in Trinbago... The EU-Sponsored Poverty Reduction Programme which is located in the Ministry of Social Development commissioned a Survey of Living Conditions in 2007.. These were some of the findings out of the report......

Geographic distribution of Poverty and Indigence by region

The geographic distribution of poverty was highly unequal. The north-east and the south-west of the island of Trinidad were the two poorest areas, but the spread could be conceived in terms of a band that extended from the north-east along the east of the country and then across its south. The Mayaro area that had been poorest for decades, no longer carried that dubious distinction, although its residents had not become well off.

Most of the country’s poor can be located in Siparia (15.1%), Princes Town (11.2%), San Juan/Laventille (11.0%) and Tunapuna/Piarco (10.1); these Regional Corporations (RC) together accounted for 47.4 percent of the total poor population. In terms of the prevalence of poverty within Regional Corporations, Sangre Grande had the most poor persons per 100 in the population; 39.1 percent of the population in the Regional Corporation of Sangre Grande were deemed to be poor. Other regions of high poverty concentration included Princes Town (30%), the Borough of Point Fortin (24.6%), Mayaro/Rio Claro (26.6%) and Siparia (27.7%), all of which showed prevalence rates above 20 percent. In the areas of the highest concentration of the population, some of the poorest live within less than two miles from the most well-off. Figure I provides a chart of the distribution of poverty, while Figure 2 presents a map of poverty by the regions of Trinidad and the parishes of Tobago. The areas in the darkest colour reflect the poorest parts of the country.

Poverty and Ethnicity

In respect of the ethnic distribution, it was found that:
    • Africans tended to more highly represented among the poor than they were in the population at large, but there was a probability of over sampling of Africans in the survey given the demographic composition of the sample and of the last Census;
    • Indians had a lower percentage representation among the indigent, the poor and the vulnerable than was their representation in the population.
    • Those of mixed ethnic origin represented about 27 percent of the sample but accounted for almost 40 percent of the indigent.
    • Other groups such as Chinese, Syrian/Lebanese and Caucasians that together accounted for less than one percent of the sample, were all among the non-poor.

Figure 1

Figure 2

its funny coz i see your house at the lowest point

Kakez868
    Under 4.5% Of Sando' Livin' In Povery?

Come Nah..

Mad Scorpion
    Quote Originally Posted by Kakez868 View Post
    Under 4.5% Of Sando' Livin' In Povery?

Come Nah..
    Sando is in the 4.5 - 12% range guy

Taj
    Credits
    hmmm interesting the grey - no data areas
    “A sharp knife never proclaims it’s sharpness to the world…but the first to fall against it becomes it’s advocate.”

You can put any face behind a mask but be careful cos someone else might be pretending. You might not be the only one with a secret -- Cassie/Gretel

Kakez868
    Quote Originally Posted by Pum Pum Conquerah View Post
    Sando is in the 4.5 - 12% range guy

I Read It Fockup'..I Took The Second Yellowish Color As Under 4.5.

Still Weird Dat Diego Have more Poverty Dan Sando.

Credits
    So I guess I was right when I said the wealth distribution in tnt was white, indian and then black..... Or maybe this is a skewered census.. Who knows yes
    Never waste your time trying to explain who you are to people who are committed to misunderstanding you.

Velvet Glove. Iron Fist

mi style still sharp .....u a A-Minor and dem a B-Flat

Credits
    That graph is false.. and it duh make no sense..

I'm from the heart of the south, an i know forsure the poverty percentadge should be way higher than that

Credits

Credits
    Quote Originally Posted by King-NicK View Post
    I'm from the heart of the south, an i know forsure the poverty percentadge should be way higher than that
    Yuh saying that based on what?

Just cause yuh house in the bush, and yuh house board up with galvanize, and yuh house is a two room all in one, and yuh locking yuh door with a pad lock, and yuh bath room is four galvanize, and yuh toilet is a none-flush-special... does not mean that yuh poor.
    PS: I'm from south and I was a [rich] barrel child living nice inna ole house... so be careful how yuh ansa.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast