General Grant now hosts radio show on 104.7 FM
By Cecily Asson

REMEMBER dancehall star General Grant?

Yeah, the then little known deejay/mic man from Point Fortin, who back in 1992 took Trinidad and Tobago by storm when he launched his singing career with Robert Amar’s Kisskidee Karavan, but soon dropped out of sight after Amar’s recording studio, Caribbean Sound Basin (CSB) went under?

Well, the talented bard is back, this time hosting his own show on radio. General Grant’s Fireside Fridays (9 p.m. to 2 a.m.) and Reggaematic Sundays (9 p.m. to 12 midnight) is on TnT’s newest radio station on 104.7 FM owned and operated by businessman Amar, the man Grant calls his father and one he credits for the success he has enjoyed so far.

WAYNE “Fire” MENDOZA with GENERAL GRANT

WAYNE “Fire” MENDOZA.
Starboy GENERAL GRANT

On Fridays, his listeners know him as “Granty Asher”, as he works alongside his selector and old friend Wayne “Fire” Mendoza.

The duo offers both young and old a different type of energy featuring in the main, old school music.

On Sundays, he’s back to his old self, simply General Grant and presenting reggae sounds.

“God bless Mr. Amar,” a smiling Grant told Sunday PUNCH.

“I’m really glad to be working with him again.

“That man considers me a son, we’ve always been close over the years, so when he was opening up the radio station he invited me to be part of it.”

This new face of his that he’s now presenting to the public is yet another major step in his life.

For him, it has taken him right back where it all started.

Grant said his love for music in the early days had him chanting, and mixing up the music with DJs Nyabinghi and Iere I.

“Since 1982 I really doing this thing,” he reminisced.

“I was the chanter for Dr. Hyde Sounds, I was in the days of the cassette.

“My voice used to run the route in the maxis and taxis as in those days for people like me, it wasn’t easy to get into radio ...”

Grant was among some new artistes who stood out when Amar and CSB gave them a break at recording and performing.

It was at CSB Grant wrote and composed hits like Shot Call, Pure Hate, Chunkalunks, Soca Bill Board, among other pieces of dancehall music that saw him reach the BillBoard Chart and hit Black Entertainment Television (BET) Sound Stage.

He did collaborations with soca superstar Machel Montano, diva Denise “Saucy Wow” Belfon, Kurt Allen and the late chutney icon, Sonny Man.

Grant was also featured on American Rhythm and Blues (R&B) singers Toni, Toni, Toni’s album, while also doing a remake of the Four Top’s Ain’t No Woman.

But no one can keep a good man down for too long, the old soldier is back.

Sunday PUNCH tips our hat to the General.

Much older, much wiser and doing what he loves best, giving you the music