Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Gay Jamaican officer seeks asylum in CANADA!

Credits

Gay Jamaican officer seeks asylum in CANADA!

I tell yuh dem runnin' com-pe-tih-shan wid dem Bajan bwoy deh!! Hmmmpph SMH! Sad state of affairs...

TheStar.com | Canada | Gay Jamaican officer seeks asylum

Gay Jamaican officer seeks asylum
    'My life is in great, great jeopardy' in a country where violence against homosexuals is pervasive"
    Feb 25, 2008 04:30 AM
    DANA FLAVELLE
    Staff Reporter

A Jamaican police officer says he's living in fear after coming out as a gay man and hopes to come to Canada where he can safely speak up on behalf of other gay Jamaicans.

Michael Hayden, who has been on the police force for four years, said other officers routinely attacked and abused him after becoming suspicious of his sexual preferences.

But after speaking out publicly about the problem in The Jamaica Star newspaper this month, the 24-year-old Hayden said he began receiving death threats.

"I want to stay here and fight," Hayden said in a telephone interview from Jamaica yesterday. "But it's not safe for me. My life is in great, great jeopardy."

Human rights groups say Hayden's case is the latest in a series of disturbing anti-gay incidents in the Caribbean tourist destination.

The Jamaican police force declined to comment on Hayden's situation. Sodomy is a criminal offence in Jamaica, which carries a maximum penalty of 10 years.

"We have no comment at this time," Karl Angell, a spokesperson for the Jamaican Constabulary Police Force, said in a telephone interview from Jamaica yesterday.

Hayden is not the first gay Jamaican to seek asylum out of fear for his life, said Rebecca Schleifer, a researcher with Human Rights Watch in New York and author of Hated to Death, a report on gay bashing and its impact on the fight against HIV/AIDS in Jamaica.

Jamaica lost a key leader in the HIV/AIDS battle, she said, when gay activist Gareth Henry fled the country last month and sought refugee status in Canada. Henry had been co-chair of the Jamaican Forum for Lesbians and Gays and also a volunteer with Jamaican AIDS Support for Life.

Henry, 30, told the Star yesterday that he started thinking about leaving Jamaica after being beaten by police a year ago on Feb. 14 in a drugstore in Kingston, Jamaica. He says police deny beating him.

He said he's lost 13 gay friends since 2004, yet police refuse to acknowledge there's a problem, often blaming the dead victim's lover or other gay men.

"The situation for gays and lesbians in Jamaica is getting worse," Henry said in a telephone interview in Toronto, where he's now living.

Henry said he feels for Hayden. "He's unsafe. They're hunting him daily. It's one of those very sad cases. For him coming out, he didn't want to be another person who died before he got to tell his story."

Hayden is now on a leave of absence from his job and is in hiding while his allegations against his fellow officers are being investigated.

Violence against men who have sex with men, ranging from verbal harassment to beatings, armed attacks, and murder, is pervasive in Jamaica, according to Schleifer's report for Human Rights Watch.

The church denounces gay sex, popular music reinforces prejudices against gays and lesbians and police do little to stop violence against them, she noted.

Credits
    I read about a police man who raped a young boy at gun point.

Don't let that fuker escape from the Island, GUNSHOT!!!

Credits
    He played too much Dandy Shandy

Credits
    I hope they get this fruit before he leaves

Registered User small_island_descent's Avatar small_island_descent is offline
    Credits
    I read about this too. I hope they give him asylum here before some of them ignorant JAs do something stupid and Canadians start to boycott going to Jamaica.

Y'all didn't hear what happened to Grenada....

Grenada relents on gay cruises
    TheStar.com - News - Grenada relents on gay cruises

Island has sea change on port ban after protesters cancel hotel rooms, ask Ottawa to stop foreign aid

December 07, 2007
    John Goddard
    staff reporter

Cruise ships carrying gay passengers will be permitted to dock in Grenada this winter, the Caribbean island's tourism minister says.

Several hotels received visitor cancellations after the Toronto Star reported last week that the country was questioning whether to allow entry to gay cruise ships, tourism minister Clarice Modeste-Curwen said in a statement yesterday.

Some protesters also wrote the Canadian government asking that aid be cut to Grenada's Port of St. Georges where cruise ships dock, she added.

"This does not augur well for our tourism sector."

She said: "We will continue to welcome all visitors and we will work, along with our population, to ensure that their time and ours will be enjoyable. Grenada respects the rights of all persons of all persuasions and lifestyles."

Left unmentioned was that homosexual relations remain illegal in Grenada.

The government's position was reached "following several days of consultations on the matter involving tourism officials and various stakeholders," the minister's statement said.

In Toronto, the head of the Toronto-based gay rights group Egale said she was watching developments closely. "We're hoping the government will change its legislation," said Helen Kennedy, "not only for the sake of cruise passengers but also for the (lesbian, gay, bisexual and transgendered) community in that country."

Rachel Charles, spokesperson for the island's HIV/AIDS advocacy group Human Rights Desk, said the country's laws violate UN human rights conventions signed by Grenada, as does government questioning of whether to allow gay cruises to stop at the island.

"All people have an equal right to freedom of movement," she said.

In the government's questioning of gay landing rights last week, officials seemed to be under the impression that Cunard's Queen Mary 2 and Royal Caribbean's Legend of the Seas had scheduled all-gay cruises stopping in Grenada in December, January, February and March.

Both cruise lines reached by the Star contradicted that information.

Legend of the Seas stops at Grenada on Dec. 26 but it is not a gay charter, a spokesperson for Royal Caribbean International said.

The Queen Mary 2 stops on Dec. 27 but the ship has no gay charters booked for December or next year, said a Cunard Line spokesperson.

Pied Piper Travel in New York confirmed it has booked a block of rooms for gay travellers on the Queen Mary 2 for this month's sailing, and questioned how Grenada port authorities intended to block its clients from disembarking and not other passengers.

It's all "bun batty bwoy, gunshot fi dem" till part of your economy gets facked over. Jamaicans, use your head, let him leave and keep your tourist audience...at least in Canada anyway.

Credits
    Quote Originally Posted by liteskinboy View Post
    I read about a police man who raped a young boy at gun point.

Don't let that fuker escape from the Island, GUNSHOT!!!
    behave yaself, u know u in canada under asylum too.

T-MAKAA
    Quote Originally Posted by small_island_descent View Post
    I read about this too. I hope they give him asylum here before some of them ignorant JAs do something stupid and Canadians start to boycott going to Jamaica.

Y'all didn't hear what happened to Grenada....

It's all "bun batty bwoy, gunshot fi dem" till part of your economy gets facked over. Jamaicans, use your head, let him leave and keep your tourist audience...at least in Canada anyway.
    Y stop there..u should offer him your address as well.

SMH.

Credits
    He can leave and take all of his kind with him as far as I'm concern. Those dam Fruits are just to Proud they need to learn that everyone in the world doesn't have to like them
    Last edited by Jahpikne; 02-25-2008 at 03:13 PM.

Credits
    Quote Originally Posted by T-MAKAA View Post
    Y stop there..u should offer him your address as well.

SMH.
    LOL, typical. Any more gems of wisdom for me breds ?

Credits
    Quote Originally Posted by Jahpikne View Post
    He can leave and take all of his kind with him as far as I'm concern. Those dam Fruits are just to Proud they need to learn that everyone in the world doesn't have to like them

Just because you don't like someone DOES NOT give you the right to use violence against them. Remember the Klan don't like black people either! Do you truly think before you type. So did you tell yuh fellow JA bredren that you were trying to loose weight so you could fit into yuh costume?
    Last edited by Mrs. Campbell; 02-25-2008 at 03:31 PM.
    Our Queen went to sleep, her people left to weep....in song she lives on.

Long Live the Queen!

Credits
    He can leave and take all of his kind with as far as I'm concern. Those dam Fruits are just to Proud they need to learn that everyone in the world doesn't have to like them
    I agree, he should leave Jamaica. Doesn't make sense for him to stay.

I would suggest that WI gays get one of the non inhabited islands and make a country where they could live in peace BUT seeing how WI people, they'd probably send the army to go bomb it. So consequently, they don't have a choice but to stay in a heterosexual society and play down low, which in turn, exposes WI women to anything their partner carries. The universe is a funny place.

Credits
    Quote Originally Posted by chinky eyes View Post
    Just because you don't like someone gives you the right to use violence against them??? Remember the Klan don't like black people either! Do you truly think before you type. So did you tell yuh fellow JA bredren that you were trying to loose weight so you could fit into yuh costume?
    I never said I'd use violence against him. I would allow him to leave without any problems. All I can hope for is he takes his friends with him. The Klan is different this is a groups believes, but to respect them I'd stay out of they area. It can't compare to a countries believes, as well as breaking laws set in the country about that inappropriate chi chi behavior . Dam right they know I want to look Sexy in my costume on the road for 2009, I don't plan to be back out there fat again!

I would suggest that WI gays get one of the non inhabited islands and make a country where they could live in peace BUT seeing how WI people, they'd probably send the army to go bomb it. So consequently, they don't have a choice but to stay in a heterosexual society and play down low, which in turn, exposes WI women to anything their partner carries. The universe is a funny place.
    If they really wanted too they could find a place . I mean they run parts of Manhattan as sell San Francisco so they can join the other Fruits and live in harmony with them.

Links30

That is really not a bad idea at all. Look what they did in the middle east for the jews. They should indeed stamp some where just for gays only. Call it, Gayville or GAYREECA or something. I mean if that was really taken into consideration it would really stomp out the immorality in many countries and they can very much use the lesb women to reproduce if need be. What ever issues or problems they face in there society, let them handle it on there own.

Credits
    I never said I'd use violence against him. I would allow him to leave without any problems. All I can hope for is he takes his friends with him. The Klan is different this is a groups believes, but to respect them I'd stay out of they area. It can't compare to a countries believes, as well as breaking laws set in the country about that inappropriate chi chi behavior . Dam right they know I want to look Sexy in my costume on the road for 2009, I don't plan to be back out there fat again!

If they really wanted too they could find a place . I mean they run parts of Manhattan as sell San Francisco so they can join the other Fruits and live in harmony with them.
    You could fuckin like! Check yuh first post, where you state: I hope they get this fruit before he leaves. Certainly you not talking about giving him a going away party.

The way you does talk, hmmmm...maybe you should check to see if Canada will welcome you with open arms. NO MAN I know talks like that.
    Last edited by Mrs. Campbell; 02-25-2008 at 03:41 PM.
    Our Queen went to sleep, her people left to weep....in song she lives on.

Long Live the Queen!

Credits
    Quote Originally Posted by chinky eyes View Post
    You could fuckin like! Check yuh first post, where you state: I hope they get this fruit before he leaves. Certainly you not talking about giving him a going away party.
    ok , you got me but personally I'd let him leave

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast