Thread: Funana & Batuko

Credits

Funana & Batuko

Some zouk influenced Funana music from Cape VERDE. The women wine like our sweet Caribbean beauties.

Last edited by ken_yatta; 09-28-2007 at 03:01 PM.

Credits
    if u think that's hot, boy u shud see them sakis dancers. dey wasse on fiah!!! they wining so much they having 6pack.

Credits
    Honestly I cannot give zouk credit for having influence in Funana music.At least none of the songs you posted show zouk influence.

Credits
    Quote Originally Posted by Influence View Post
    Honestly I cannot give zouk credit for having influence in Funana music.At least none of the songs you posted show zouk influence.
    Funny, I have Cape Verdian CDs that show heavy zouk influences. There are artists from Cape Verde and Angola that appear on zouk compilations. Remember, many of these artists live in France, which is the center of African pop and French Antillean music. Another Cape Verdian genre, coldeira, has a pronounced zouk beat also.

Credits
    Some info from the web. A friend has sent me over a dozen Cape Verdian zouk discs. Can't say I'm a big fan though.

French Antilles (Martinique & Guadeloupe): National Geographic World Music
    "Since the 1990s, inspired by an international singer-songwriter movement and resurgent interest in folk traditions, zouk itself has continued to take new forms as well—shifting from a fast-paced, high-tech party sound to the gentle "zouk-love" songs of Patrick Saint Eloi or Edith Lefel—alongside the roots revivals of artists such as Kali and Marcé et Tumpak, from Martinique, and the biguine, mazurka and waltz restylings of key groups like the Vikings of Guadeloupe and Malavoi. Today we can hear the influence of zouk in dance rhythms around the world, from Brazilian lambada to Caribbean styles as diverse as merengue and soca; from Cameroonian makossa, Congolese soukous and Cape Verdian funana to zouglou from Ivory Coast and even zouk-mbalax from Senegal." —Neva Wartell

From a haitian site

Zouk Music

"Zouk Is A Style Of Rhythmic Music Originating From The Caribbean Islands Of Guadeloupe And Martinique.

Zouk####has its roots in kompa music from Haiti, Cadence music from Dominica, as popularised by Grammacks and Exile One. Zouk means 'party' in the local creole of French with English and African influences, all three of which contribute the sound. In Europe it is particularly popular in France, while on the African islands of Cape Verde they have developed their own type of Zouk.

Zouk in holland became Famous thanks to Gil Semedo
    GIL Semedo the famous Dutch Cape Verdean Zouk singer has scored a little Zouk hit with his Zouk Song "Sweet Honey" the music zouk clip was several times seen on Dutch commercial and National TV
    GIL is one of Africa's most known Zouk Artists in the African Portuguese countries , He also performs frequently in Europe and USA
    check out his site there are several zouk music clips and his zouk music is famous in the Dutch Brasilzouk dance schools as well

Gil Semedo Moreira

Another Portuguese zouk singer of Cape Verdean origin Gilyto was Awarded for a Cape Verde zouk song of the isle of Sao Tome @ Principe (Africa)
    Gilyto.com ◊◊◊ Traduson pa Tradison ◊◊◊
    both artists singing Cabo Zouk

Zouk in holland became Famous thanks to Gil Semedo - Zouk Lover: Zouk Music, Zouk Love Radio, Artists and Dance Video Forums
    Last edited by ken_yatta; 09-29-2007 at 06:53 PM.

Credits
    Funana AND Batuku have no zouk influences. It's music straight from the land;they are two different music genres.

Funana:

Batuku:

Credits
    Quote Originally Posted by dabrat View Post
    Funana AND Batuku have no zouk influences. It's music straight from the land;they are two different music genres.

Funana:

Batuku:

yes...of course, just like makossa or Congolese rumba have no zouk influences. I know that batuko and funana are two different genres, hence the title of the thread. I'm not from Cape Verde, but I do have dozens of CDs from the country and ever other Afro Lusan state and I have heard zouk influenced funana. As with all genres, there's the more traditional or rootsier stuff and the more open pop styles.
    "Every onlooker is either a coward or a traitor." — Frantz Fanon

“If there is no struggle, there is no progress. Those who profess to favor freedom, and yet depreciate agitation, are men who want crops without plowing up the ground. They want rain without thunder and lightning. They want the ocean without the awful roar of its many waters.” Frederick Douglass

Credits
    Quote Originally Posted by Seawall View Post
    yes...of course, just like makossa or Congolese rumba have no zouk influences. I know that batuko and funana are two different genres, hence the title of the thread. I'm not from Cape Verde, but I do have dozens of CDs from the country and ever other Afro Lusan state and I have heard zouk influenced funana. As with all genres, there's the more traditional or rootsier stuff and the more open pop styles.
    I am fome Cape Verde and am in the music scene. I can assure you zouk does not get mixed into funana. That's a no no.

Credits
    Ye, you can't mix funana with other genres. Being Cape Verdean doesn't make you an expert buddy. I'm sure there are others here that can school me on Guyanese soca.

“If there is no struggle, there is no progress. Those who profess to favor freedom, and yet depreciate agitation, are men who want crops without plowing up the ground. They want rain without thunder and lightning. They want the ocean without the awful roar of its many waters.” Frederick Douglass

Credits
    Quote Originally Posted by Seawall View Post
    Ye, you can't mix funana with other genres. Being Cape Verdean doesn't make you an expert buddy. I'm sure there are others here that can school me on Guyanese soca.

]

Yeah growing up with this stuff does not make me an expert.
    Funana does not get mixed with zouk! How does that even happen? Find me a funana mixed zouk song. Anyway funana get mixed with soukous, but never zouk.

Credits
    You're right of course. The songs below show no traces of zouk. I remember when Haitians and Congolese used to argue that their music was not influenced by zouk. BTW, AfroLusan music isn't that hard to get as in the past. I first started collecting the stuff back in the '90's (by way of a DJ that worked at Sterns music in NY),but now there are so many pirate sites that upload the latest semba, kizomba, zouk/kompa,etc.

These songs have a speeded up zouk rhythm track. All African music cross pollinate.

Credits
    Another one.

Credits
    obviously zouk influenced their music

Credits

Not hard to recognize that programmed zouk rhythm track. Modern funana is no longer "pure."