Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree11Likes

Thread: Frugality and you???

Credits

Frugality and you???

i'm curious... what frugal decisions do you live by?
    it doesn't have to be always - every day but what ways do you find to cut costs or not spend an arm and leg for something?
    Do you use coupons for groceries?
    Do you use group savings deals - groupon, livingsocial, restaurant.com?
    Do you opt to skip the gym membership and take a walk around your local park instead (or for the trinis run around the savannah lol)?
    do you cook seasonal produce and fix meals based on whats in season?
    Do you limit your going out to once or twice a week/every two weeks/ a month?
    Do you buy brand name food for some things and store brand for others?
    What are items you MUST have store brand and others you can experiment/go for the store brand?
    What store brands do you like?
    what are ways you would suggest to others to cut costs (on any good or service)?
    Never waste your time trying to explain who you are to people who are committed to misunderstanding you.

Velvet Glove. Iron Fist

mi style still sharp .....u a A-Minor and dem a B-Flat

Credits
    Awaits HB..

But you can go 1st...

Credits
    i neutralize my vehicle going down hill

my daughter was to sit and wait til i finish work to get a ride home

my pc or tv is the living room light

i use the bathroom at work, toilet paper going down the drain is a waste of money. might as well use what the ILO deem necessary for a healthy work environment

begging credits on imix is my version to angry birds and candy crush. i dont have to dl them so that is electricity i didnt consume to dl and play either

no nail clippers home.. teeth work just as effecient

Dragon IG :: http://instagram.com/islandmixusa

Credits
    i dont go out much, that saves a lot of money...

if i go out i pregame so i dont spend too much on liquor... I also get there for the free before 12:00 or whatever time they lettin people in free

i dont buy groceries unless they on sale and if they are, i buy a whole bunch

When i drive i shift early, i put the car in the highest gear to save money on driving(i drive stick)

To save money on gas again, If i can avoid driving i do, I take public transportation mostly, only drive if i am going out late in the evening or i am taking someone out (A full tank lasts me 2 months sometimes)

When i'm home, unless i am reading or doing something that requires light, all the lights are usually off...

Summer time, I never turn on AC.. doesnt matter if the temperature outside is 95 degrees.. unless i have guests over...

try to bring my own lunch most times...

I stop doing this, but Sundays i would find myself at some family member house for food so i dont have to do much cooking or food shopping, and they would most likely give me some to carry home..

When i buy food outside, i try to stick to places that will give me enough that i could have for two sittings.
    ladyrastafari likes this.
    the healthy man does not torture others - generally it is the tortured who turn into torturers.

Carl G. Jung

Credits
    MAn Im a sales girl! Ppl always assume Im rich or got it like that b/c of the way I carry myself. Puhlzzzz I don't do anythin gbut sales. The only exceptions are times when it may be the last pair of something that I've feined and stalked for a while. But until I know richness (and even then) I will be looking out for all those discounts in my email. Big up target CVS amazon and my selective secret stores!
    I'm one of those strange beasts who really likes a corset.

I think that's what I love about my life. There's no maniacal master plan. It's just unfolding before me.

Credits
    Quote Originally Posted by Ingram_Gordon View Post

i use the bathroom at work, toilet paper going down the drain is a waste of money. might as well use what the ILO deem necessary for a healthy work environment

begging credits on imix is my version to angry birds and candy crush. i dont have to dl them so that is electricity i didnt consume to dl and play either

toe nails?
    i only promote dominica's culture...who vex loss.........

Credits
    Quote Originally Posted by Ingram_Gordon View Post

rofl!...
    Living like Peggy, plotting like Joan

Credits
    Shoot I pay tuition, and I'm trying to lower my debt (I'm side eyeing you Sallie Mae).
    • coupon codes (bought a Ralph Lauren dress that was originally $220 for $75)
    • buy stuff in bulk
    • bring lunch to work
    • matinee movies
    • only have netflix and hulu plus, what I can't find to watch on there red box
    • ride in together with the hubs since we work like 3 miles from each other
    • buy stuff on sale (Macy's always has a sale, and I work across the street from L & T)...they always have coupons too
    • I'm a Maxxinista and so is my little one
    ladyrastafari likes this.

Credits
    Quote Originally Posted by Hello BKLYN View Post
    i dont go out much, that saves a lot of money...

if i go out i pregame so i dont spend too much on liquor... I also get there for the free before 12:00 or whatever time they lettin people in free

i dont buy groceries unless they on sale and if they are, i buy a whole bunch

When i drive i shift early, i put the car in the highest gear to save money on driving(i drive stick)

To save money on gas again, If i can avoid driving i do, I take public transportation mostly, only drive if i am going out late in the evening or i am taking someone out (A full tank lasts me 2 months sometimes)

When i'm home, unless i am reading or doing something that requires light, all the lights are usually off...

Summer time, I never turn on AC.. doesnt matter if the temperature outside is 95 degrees.. unless i have guests over...

try to bring my own lunch most times...

I stop doing this, but Sundays i would find myself at some family member house for food so i dont have to do much cooking or food shopping, and they would most likely give me some to carry home..

When i buy food outside, i try to stick to places that will give me enough that i could have for two sittings.
    thanks... i always try to bring my lunch unless is friday too...
    Never waste your time trying to explain who you are to people who are committed to misunderstanding you.

Velvet Glove. Iron Fist

Credits
    im not frugal at all, i spend money like i got it like that ...i need to be a bit but oh well can't take it with u

Credits
    Quote Originally Posted by ladyrastafari View Post
    i'm curious... what frugal decisions do you live by?
    it doesn't have to be always - every day but what ways do you find to cut costs or not spend an arm and leg for something?
    Do you use coupons for groceries?
    Do you use group savings deals - groupon, livingsocial, restaurant.com?
    Do you opt to skip the gym membership and take a walk around your local park instead (or for the trinis run around the savannah lol)?
    do you cook seasonal produce and fix meals based on whats in season?
    Do you limit your going out to once or twice a week/every two weeks/ a month?
    Do you buy brand name food for some things and store brand for others?
    What are items you MUST have store brand and others you can experiment/go for the store brand?
    What store brands do you like?
    what are ways you would suggest to others to cut costs (on any good or service)?
    i'm not an extreme couponer.. i find that is real work and i cant see myself stockpiling groceries till kingdom com.. i hate cutting coupons so now i just load the electronic ones on my phone.. works out better ..

i use groupon, living social etc... i usually find good deals after researching the restaurants religiously on foursquare and yelp and a couple other sites... 15 for 95 dollars worth of food is a good deal if the restaurant's prices are low per dish.. so like chicken parm is like 12 and drinks are like 6-8 - thats a good deal but if chicken parm is like 30 dollars and drinks are like 15.. um..that's already 90 for 2 people. Livingsocial has great food deals too, i am yet to try their escapes... restaurant.com i have found to be cheap -2-5dollars but can be unreliable as sometimes the restaurants have long stopped doing business with them yet, they still selling deals.. so they dont get honored.. always good to call the restaurant first to ensure that they do work with the site still..

i'm terrible with gym memberships.. i had one for 85 dollars a month and never went for a year... so that was glut and the sad thing was that it was right across the street from my house.. then i left that gym and joined another but now they're getting about a steady fee off me and i havent gone for another year.. so i quit them .. they were a little more out of the way.. i'm going to try ONE more time with another gym that is directly on my way home...third time is hte charm right..and if that dont work out i'll stick to what works best for me - outdoor running and exercise lol

i used to just buy whatever veg and fruit i liked now i try to get what's in season and use it for different things.. the farmers market gives you some really good deals..

i go out to eat fairly often.. but i'm trying to limit it to once a week if i have to go anywhere.. and for the rest of the year i'm going to have to say NO to any big social engagements...cos that right there is a money drain.. i've gone to 6 weddings for the year already and only ONE was in NY, the others were out of state and overseas.. no no nonononoo.. that'swhat i am saying now

as for brand name food- i am usually open to different brands, i'll try at least once unless it's somethin suspect.. i check the ingredients list, the size of whatever it is i am buying, inspect it visually.. and make a choice... i must buy brand name ketchup - i like Heinz, but Del Monte will do as well.. but cereal i'll try different ones- staying away from the sugary ones these days (i still love you Frosted Flakes but we can't be together ), I like Target's Archer Farms and MarketPantry lines.... i buy grocery store brands for some things cos sometimes they're the same as the regular brand and made by the brand for customers who wont buy the brand. so the company scoops up the brand and non brand folks.. i hate matouks/mabels ketchup tho.. i dont know why people like to bring that from TnT.. it just has a taste i never like.. might be cos is pongkin and not tomato?

i used to go to the grocery and walk around for hours looking for this and that (even armed iwth my list).. now i order my groceries online and let a store employee walk around for hours buying everything - they also call if the item you want isnt there and ask if you would prefer another brand and/or flavor... and then they deliver to your house.. great for canned and boxed stuff and they usually send the best vegetables too but these days i'm picking up vegetables at the korean stands so need for too many.. only buy what i will cook the next day..

if you want to save money on the hairdresser.. learn to do your own hair and save the hairdresser for the lazy moments or special occasions..

figure out what you want and what you need.. try to avoid on the spot shopping decisions.. sleep on it.. if you want it badly enough you will come back.. if you don't then it was just a want... like i am getting new glasses and i hunt and found some new red frames i kinda liked but they'll all range between 345 and 395.. i almost just plunk down my cash and then i say wait.. do i NEED new frames or i just want new ones? i say what's the next option.. next option? use my current frames, swap out the lenses for new ones and just get the anti glare coating.. how much will it cost? 45 for the anti-glare coating.. ding ding ding!...if i need new frames i can always get another pair that i really like later on and the lens will only be 89 soooo.. that's that..

i will spend money on vacation... but even then i'll score good deals on hotels, check out and research the restaurants etc.. i hate shopping on vacation so i only get souvenirs but not leaving here to go the same store i can find here to shop .. not me..

Velvet Glove. Iron Fist

Credits
    how much credits yuh gon gimmi if I read all that above...
    Triniminx and A.K.K.S. like this.

Credits
    If I go to the mall or a local plaza.....I'll park far away from other cars all alone, and walk that extra minute people does be always nicking yuh car door when they park too close and open their own door.

I refuse to pay to park my vehicle anywhere downtown, I always does cheap it out in the streets. I just can't justify paying 20-30 bucks just fuh for it to sit 2-3 hours and I cah even get a wash or fill of gas. You're not doing my vehicle any favours by just having it sit on your property.

I always park my vehicle in a way that I can just drive straight out. It reduces wear n tear on your transmission by not shifting as much reversing then going forward.
    "I will forewarn you......fear ye him when thou hast died hath power to cast into hell" - Charles Lawson

Credits
    Quote Originally Posted by Klang View Post
    toe nails?
    what you think you have kids for??
    Dragon IG :: http://instagram.com/islandmixusa

Credits
    Quote Originally Posted by Swollen View Post
    how much credits yuh gon gimmi if I read all that above...
    for real, is it that serious

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast