Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Friends take you, but they don't bring you back.....

Credits

Friends take you, but they don't bring you back.....

How many times I heard that growing up back home and even when I moved up here. This article is the perfect example of the truth those words hold.

Teenager Gone Bad

Mom: You make the child, not the mind

BY GEISHA KOWLESSAR

He wore the latest brand name clothing and sneakers.

He had a colour television set in his room.

From an early age he made frequent trips to the United States.

Even the food and snacks he ate—coming directly from the United States—were expensive.

His was a life of comfort and luxury.

But for teenager Shivonne Depradine, that seemed insufficient.

Depradine—who would have turned 17 yesterday—was instead discovered with a single gunshot wound to the back of the head at an abandoned house in Barataria on Wednesday afternoon.

The teenager, a student of El Dorado Comprehensive School, was found clad only in his boxer shorts with his hands tied behind his back.

His 19-year-old friend Jawara Yearwood, of Tacarigua, also suffered the same fate.

And a drug deal gone sour was the motive police believe led to the killings.

Depradine’s killing has left a void in the hearts of his family.

But even in their torment, they are forced to battle with questions, many of which may remain unanswered.

What went wrong

Depradine found it easy to leave his luxurious bed to sleep on a dingy mat at an abandoned house in Barataria.

Police said he also found it easy to rob weary, unsuspecting commuters making their way home at nights.

A boy—as his family admitted “wanted nothing”— has also left to them to probe what went wrong, even in their own lives.

“God alone know how I tried with him...I tired talk to him but is just bad company that turn him like that,” Depradine’s grandfather Patrick said yesterday.

Sitting in the waiting room of the Forensic Science Centre in St James, the 75-year-old man was visibly disturbed by his grandson’s murder.

He readily admitted, however, that the teenager’s death was a case of “friends carry you but don’t bring you back.”

“Is his friends... Is the friends he keep. I talk to him about them over and over again. But he was very harden.

“He just wanted to do his own thing,” Patrick said.

Recounting fond memories, the grandfather painted a picture of a gurgling baby boy, grown up into a wayward teenager.

“Is I mind Shivonne from a baby. I brought things from America for him. I wanted him to be comfortable.

“But where is he today?” the pensioner pondered.

Confessing that his grandson smoked marijuana, Patrick said he was not surprised by his slaying.

“There was even a time when he just did not want to go to school,” Patrick said.

And what role did the teenager’s father play in his life?

“Don’t even ask about that man,” was Patrick’s stern response.

Mom: No regrets living in US

Wanting to provide a life that perhaps she never had, Depradine’s mother, Erica, has made many sacrifices for her son to be happy.

Living in America for several years, Erica’s time with her son was sacrificed.

But, as she justified, it was all in an effort to “provide him with the best.”

“The things Shivonne had, I never had them as a child.

“I never wore a brand name sneakers yet,” Erica, also the mother of a five-year-old girl, said.

But did the sacrifices she made indirectly contribute to her son’s delinquent behaviour?

“I am not the first and I will not be the last,” Erica said, speaking from her Arouca home.

“Many parents went away and their children came out good.

“You can make the child but not the mind.”

As she stood in her front porch, the open door behind gave a peek of a well-decorated abode.

Gold-toned drapes swept gently over thick carpeting lined with cosy sofas filled with stuffed toys.

“Even if I was here, whatever Shivonne wanted to do he would have done it anyway,” Erica said.

Left with ruined birthday plans, she said she wanted her son to blow out the candles on his birthday cake with his little sister.

“Whatever Shivonne’s heart desired I would have bought it for him for his birthday,” she said.

What residents said

Shivonne Depradine was known to the community of Dinsley Gardens.

But his fame was not for sporting activities or academic achievements.

Rather, the teenager was known for cursing elderly people, throwing bottles in the road, refusing walk on the pavement to allow cars to pass and openly smoking narcotics, residents said.

A resident said the teenager was also close friends with Yearwood and three other young men.

“Five of them used to dress in black with red bandanas over their heads.

“They moved in a clip and boasted that they were not afraid of anything or anybody,” the resident said.

He said Depradine also had a reputation of returning home late at nights and cursing his grandfather.

“Two weeks ago I talk to Shivonne and he tell me he join a mosque,” the resident said.

“He tell me he staying somewhere in Nelson Street (Port-of-Spain) and he said he was not afraid of the bad boys there.”

Saying that his warnings went unheeded, the resident said Shivonne was also seen smoking marijuana while in his school uniform.

“When I talk to him, he and his friends would just laugh,” he said.

Killed by own gun

The gun that killed Depradine and Yearwood belonged to the teenagers, police said yesterday.

Investigators said they believed that the young men were in the company of two other men when they were ambushed by men believed to be known to them.

Depradine and Yearwood were left behind to face the killers as their accomplices fled through the back door.

And the abandoned house where the bodies were found, perhaps told of a tale of the thug life.

A crude drawing of a gun with its rounds beings discharged, obscenities directed at the police and the motto “Live for everything, die for nothing” were spotted on the dirty walls.

Without windows, doors or proper flooring, the house, police said, was often used by young criminals to store loot.

“But when they bring their stolen goods in the house people used to thief it from them,” an investigator said.

Source:The Trinidad Guardian -Online Edition Ver 2.0
    "What lies behind us and what lies before us are tiny matters compared to what lies within us."

Credits

“Many parents went away and their children came out good.

“You can make the child but not the mind.”
    I tink he was juss plain ole spoiled and plain old bad
    STATIC RADIO - www.islandmix.com/static
    Tunein Radio - Static Radio

LR Advertising LLC

Credits
    Quote Originally Posted by Agent Jack Bauer View Post
    Things dread cutass coulda fix. I was spoiled too cuz my mom lived up here while I was growing up home,but from the time I started to act up...all material sh!t and money get cut off till I stopped smelling mehself This yute was probably crying out for attention. The mother in the states and the father MIA so that could probably be the reason why he followed that path.
    "What lies behind us and what lies before us are tiny matters compared to what lies within us."

Mommy Dearest **Vincy-Soca-Diva**'s Avatar **Vincy-Soca-Diva** is offline
    Credits
    it's still a sad story. I'm sure he got licks too. Well a man once told me you can't die drowning if you were meant to die hanging; meaning it's your desitiny. His family tired their best to what they could, yes they spoil him but I'm guessing when it was time for him to get his lash he got that too, it was his time to go maybe if he took the advice of his elders he would be her. But elders say hard ears don't hear hard ears does eel; who nah hear go haffe feel. It's sad I would hope this wakes up other young men but it seems like they too will forget or feel they are too good to die, or too "bad" to get caught up.
    Link me on fassbook http://www.facebook.com/#!/SocaDivaChandelle
    2 Sweet 2 B 4Gotten:)

Credits
    Quote Originally Posted by Val3nie2debone View Post
    Things dread cutass coulda fix. I was spoiled too cuz my mom lived up here while I was growing up home,but from the time I started to act up...all material sh!t and money get cut off till I stopped smelling mehself This yute was probably crying out for attention. The mother in the states and the father MIA so that could probably be the reason why he followed that path.
    u, me and a whole lot of other have the same story with our parents away.........us being spolied getting fresh stocks and an envelope with U.S. currency every month..........my thing was I never wanted to be the 1 to cause my mother problems knowing she was in foreign providing for us.......ah use to get into shit........but was never on no gangsta bad boy ting.......a bit delinquent......but not an idiot........my quote was from the mother........i look back at kids I grw up with back home who are dead now....murdered.......and most of dem were bad from small and things didnt change......family was bad....dem was bad........maybe he had a good family....but we will never kno unless yuh from arrung dey
    STATIC RADIO - www.islandmix.com/static
    Tunein Radio - Static Radio

LR Advertising LLC

Credits
    Wow I heard about this story earlier. I swear I think the whole of Trinidad need prayers yes. The way it is in Trinidad now it's like just to prevent anyone from bothering you you have to be rollin or into something. It takes a very strong person to be in certain environments and avoid the badness. And everyone just isn't that strong.

And not for nothing but the Jamaat encouraging and supplying a lot of the bad boys as well (Don't know what role they played if any in this situation).

I mean people are being murdered everyday in Trinidad, for a country with a population smaller than big countries, but yet more murders in the course of a year.

Places in Trinidad that used to be relatively safe, are not safe anymore. It's a shame
    Live your Life!
    www.REVELLERSinc.com

SSS
    Credits
    Quote Originally Posted by DADDY MAGYVER View Post
    Wow I heard about this story earlier. I swear I think the whole of Trinidad need prayers yes. The way it is in Trinidad now it's like just to prevent anyone from bothering you you have to be rollin or into something. It takes a very strong person to be in certain environments and avoid the badness. And everyone just isn't that strong.

And not for nothing but the Jamaat encouraging and supplying a lot of the bad boys as well (Don't know what role they played if any in this situation).

I mean people are being murdered everyday in Trinidad, for a country with a population smaller than big countries, but yet more murders in the course of a year.

Places in Trinidad that used to be relatively safe, are not safe anymore. It's a shame
    Not only Trinidad.

Toppa_Toppa
    Sad. This could be my brother.

Credits
    Well its a sad story but when u live that kinda life, you can't expect anything other than death. The grandfather said he spoke to him many times about that and he didn't listen so who don't hear does feel.

Credits
    bingo. he needed licks & punishment in he tail. the fact that he "got anything he wanted" apparently even while he was busy being damn disrespectful & disgusting. you die the way you live. it's that simple

Registered User small_island_descent's Avatar small_island_descent is offline
    Credits
    Quote Originally Posted by **Vincy-Soca-Diva** View Post
    It's sad I would hope this wakes up other young men but it seems like they too will forget or feel they are too good to die, or too "bad" to get caught up.
    That's exactly what many of them are going to say.

From where I live to when I volunteer and when I worked for the city, these kinda situations ain't new. A kid, who grows up fairly well off feels like he's missing something out there. He gets to know some guys involved in done ignorant things and feels this is what he needs to be like to feel real. And even though he ain't from the hood, he spends all his time with these kinda guys showing off how hard he is. But real hood guys know he ain't real and when he ain't there, think of ways to get over on this guy or use his need to prove how bad he is against him.

I know guys that got robbed (house cleaned out), stabbed, shot, or are now locked up for following this "gangsta" lifestyle as though it's something to choose to do. Like all of them feel they really are too badminded to get done.

Credits
    Quote Originally Posted by Val3nie2debone View Post
    How many times I heard that growing up back home and even when I moved up here. This article is the perfect example of the truth those words hold.

Teenager Gone Bad

Mom: You make the child, not the mind

BY GEISHA KOWLESSAR

He wore the latest brand name clothing and sneakers. He had a colour television set in his room. From an early age he made frequent trips to the United States. Even the food and snacks he ate—coming directly from the United States—were expensive. His was a life of comfort and luxury.

His 19-year-old friend Jawara Yearwood, of Tacarigua, also suffered the same fate.

A boy—as his family admitted “wanted nothing”— has also left to them to probe what went wrong, even in their own lives.

“God alone know how I tried with him...I tired talk to him but is just bad company that turn him like that,” Depradine’s grandfather Patrick said yesterday.
    “Is I mind Shivonne from a baby. I brought things from America for him. I wanted him to be comfortable.

“But where is he today?” the pensioner pondered.

Confessing that his grandson smoked marijuana, Patrick said he was not surprised by his slaying.

“There was even a time when he just did not want to go to school,” Patrick said.

And what role did the teenager’s father play in his life?

“Don’t even ask about that man
    ,” was Patrick’s stern response.

Mom: No regrets living in US

Wanting to provide a life that perhaps she never had, Depradine’s mother, Erica, has made many sacrifices for her son to be happy.

Living in America for several years, Erica’s time with her son was sacrificed.

But, as she justified, it was all in an effort to “provide him with the best.”

“The things Shivonne had, I never had them as a child.

I never wore a brand name sneakers yet,” Erica, also the mother of a five-year-old girl, said.

Shivonne Depradine was known to the community of Dinsley Gardens.

But his fame was not for sporting activities or academic achievements.

Rather, the teenager was known for cursing elderly people, throwing bottles in the road, refusing walk on the pavement to allow cars to pass and openly smoking narcotics, residents said.

A resident said the teenager was also close friends with Yearwood and three other young men.

“Five of them used to dress in black with red bandanas over their heads.

“They moved in a clip and boasted that they were not afraid of anything or anybody,” the resident said.

He said Depradine also had a reputation of returning home late at nights and cursing his grandfather.

“Two weeks ago I talk to Shivonne and he tell me he join a mosque,” the resident said.

“He tell me he staying somewhere in Nelson Street (Port-of-Spain) and he said he was not afraid of the bad boys there.”

Saying that his warnings went unheeded, the resident said Shivonne was also seen smoking marijuana while in his school uniform.

“When I talk to him, he and his friends would just laugh,” he said.

Depradine and Yearwood were left behind to face the killers as their accomplices fled through the back door.

And the abandoned house where the bodies were found, perhaps told of a tale of the thug life.

A crude drawing of a gun with its rounds beings discharged, obscenities directed at the police and the motto “Live for everything, die for nothing” were spotted on the dirty walls.

Source:The Trinidad Guardian -Online Edition Ver 2.0
    So young.

All of the things mentioned in the article are known to be associated with delinquency. Obviously, many of us (including myself) were left home when parents went to the US/UK/Canada but some people can't take it.

I notice how the mother tried to give him the material things that she never head. She focusing on herself. I am not criticizing her. I am just saying that although she longed for "things" when she was little, it doesn't mean that her son would value things more than he would have valued time with her.

Also, the absence of a father is detrimental on some level to all kids. Boys and girls. Even if they grow up and do well, there is some damage. IMO.

Everyone always talking about how ganja harmless. Ganja is a "gateway" drug. It is the gateway to other substance and to a life of crime. It is not harmless.

I won't touch the Islam thing.

Credits
    wow, i think part of it is due to the fact that he got anything he wanted...that and he needed a parent. grandparents aren't supposed to be parents imo. he needed his mother.

my brother almost went the same way, he was limin wit some fellas that was robbin ppl and ran away..to barataria self i beleive. my mom took his lil butt down to de jail, he stayed in there for a year. in that year though we all came together and we thought about what we could do for him. now that he's out he has our suport and he's doing much better. and he wasn't even getting brand name shoes and shit, he was more bored and lookin for attention.

some kids need tough love...not necessarily licks cuz my brother was too big for anybody in my house to beat. but tough love.
    Trinidad Posse!

Credits
    this is soooo sad....

u see i got a boy chile and I am a single mother......and I know that not having a father affects kids etc .....

But u know as parents we can be tempted to make life easy for our kids but sometimes they need to feel a lil hardship to appreciate the finer things in life.....

also communication is key.....not just talking AT them but engaging them in conversation.....wanna would be surprise what my 10 yr old son does tell me happen at his school sometimes.......

kids also have to have confidence in themselves to mek their own decisions and not follow the crowd...

but in the end its up to the child.......so all u can do is try yah best and den PRAY HARD
    We going from Sun til Sun.......

Credits
    Quote Originally Posted by southern chic View Post
    wow, i think part of it is due to the fact that he got anything he wanted...that and he needed a parent. grandparents aren't supposed to be parents imo. he needed his mother.

my brother almost went the same way, he was limin wit some fellas that was robbin ppl and ran away..to barataria self i beleive. my mom took his lil butt down to de jail, he stayed in there for a year. in that year though we all came together and we thought about what we could do for him. now that he's out he has our suport and he's doing much better. and he wasn't even getting brand name shoes and shit, he was more bored and lookin for attention.

some kids need tough love...not necessarily licks cuz my brother was too big for anybody in my house to beat. but tough love.
    I appauld your mother for taking him down to the jail. You have some parents as my mom would say: Kill dem dead, dey chirren not in nuttin.
    Our Queen went to sleep, her people left to weep....in song she lives on.

Long Live the Queen!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast