Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Foxy Brown to judge T&T/NY pageant

Credits

Foxy Brown to judge T&T/NY pageant

what does everyone think about this? first of all, i had no idea she was suddenly born in trinidad, i thought her father or grand-mother was trini...

http://www.guardian.co.tt/entertain1.html

TRINIDAD-born rap superstar Foxy Brown will head an impressive list of judges at the fifth annual Miss Trinidad & Tobago New York Scholarship & Cultural Pageant on September 16.

The event will take place at the Michael Schimmel Centre for the Arts, Pace University in Lower Manhattan. Brown will also assist reigning Miss Trinidad & Tobago New York Laverne Nedd in crowning the new queen.
    According to pageant director Renée Cummings, Brown was specifically sought to judge the event because of her Trinidad and Tobago heritage, exceptional talent, and professional experience as an entertainer.

In a telephone interview last Friday, Cummings said: "Foxy will make a tough judge. But that is exactly what I want. I am really trying to take this pageant to another level and when Foxy Brown is on your panel of judges you know your show is on and that the pageant will start to catch the eye of mainstream media."

Cummings added: "I also believe that judging a scholarship pageant will position Foxy Brown on a rather pro-active, forward-thinking, and socially conscious platform. It will reinforce a commitment, on her behalf, to the education, development, and advancement of young Caribbean women in New York City. If anything, participating in the judging of this pageant will underscore that she cares about the women of her generation."

Celebrity makeup artist Sam Fine, who has worked with Vanessa Williams, Tyra Banks, Whitney Houston, Oprah Winfrey, Brandy and Ru Paul, has also been named on them judges' panel. Cummings explained that each judge on the panel has been chosen for their background experience which forms the perspective they have in viewing different competitions.

Along with head judge Cheryl Stoute, a senior political administrator at the United Nations, the panel also comprises handbag designer Ria Ramkissoon, New York fashion writer Walter Green, model Martin Telfer, former Miss New York Donna Dunstan, public relations supervisor at the Miss Universe Organisation Esther Swan, and IMG model scout Kyle Hagler.

"It is truly an impressive list of judges and the contestants deserve nothing less. This year the competition is stiff, but that is how competition should be because it makes for a great show," Cummings added.

This brilliant display of the best of Trinidad and Tobago's brains and beauty will feature Carnival costumes, fantasy evening gowns, a talent competition, and an intelligence test. Patrons will also be treated to a performance by Trinidad-born actress Hazelle Goodman. Goodman is the celebrity host and she will share the stage with Francis Wilson, and radio personalities Eric St Bernard and Rennie Bishop who will host the evening gown competition.
    There will also be an after-show reception sponsored by Kobrand, Carib Beer, Guinness and Heineken.

---------------------------------------------

i agree with this part: "Cummings added: "I also believe that judging a scholarship pageant will position Foxy Brown on a rather pro-active, forward-thinking, and socially conscious platform. It will reinforce a commitment, on her behalf, to the education, development, and advancement of young Caribbean women in New York City. If anything, participating in the judging of this pageant will underscore that she cares about the women of her generation."

i think she needs to show that she can also be positive, and not just a rapper who enjoys rocking designer gear, and fancy jewels, while she is next to naked on stage...

montREALady :-)
    "2gether we aspire, 2gether we achieve"

Credits

RE: Foxy Brown to judge T&T/NY pageant

I did not know she was born there either... hummm she is also performing for Miami Carnival Oct 6 in Opa Locka... Well I will be happy if she helps promote West Indian Culture in the U.S. and bridge some gaps, but if her motivation is soley for herself well that's a different story....

amprincess

I hope she shows up at the pageant looking decent & not like some $2 hooker like she usually does. If she is going to be a role model she needs to be more responsible to the young girls out there.

Credits

I second that amprincess

Credits

i 3rd that

amprincess

I'm glad you ladies agree. I thought I was gonna get buff for that comment! I just have no respect at all for her or her so-called music. You should see the fights we have when my TRINI man plays her CD! x(

Credits

See she...no comment! MontREALady knows how I feel about she. I will leave it like dat. Hopefully she has fun in Miami, at the Pageant, and where ever she may go. God Bless her and I hope she makes the right desicions in her life.

Dont know why d hell she judging, and didnt know she born Trinidad! Hmmm!!!

Credits

yeah i know girl, we were both venting when we saw her at brass in bklyn ;-). i don't want people to think i am hating on her because i LOVED foxy when she 1st came out, ill na na, with the big hats, nice clothing, her 1st album was banging! then all of a sudden, i see her trapsing around in bikini's, her tut-tuts all over the place, then she began sounding more and more like kim, which annoyed me because she had her own flava before. then i see her on the tape for kool production's boat ride, hiding from the camera (and probably spragga!), i was like, "oh please". when i saw her in concert in toronto, i admit i was curious, cuz i wanted to see her perform, but then she only bawlin how's she's trini, with her trini map pendant, and in the same breath talkin patois...that was a major disappointment. then i see her at brass in bklyn trying to hide within her group of friends backstage (they were literally trying to "shelter" her) then she goes on stage with her trini kerchief wavin it. when did she become trini again? to me it's only been a few months...

part of me is annoyed by her new-found love for trinidad, because she's contradicting herself (trini vs ja), BUT at the same time she does seem fascinated by her trini culture and i'm glad that she is making appearances at more trini events and building up her knowledge base. maybe she will have a real soca tune on her next album, done by trini producers (ie., ken holder), and everything!

BajanFete

Foxy is not trini born she said she wasbron in BK on BLS with Da Vid Levy Sunday night before labour day. I gotta give her credit because Def Jam was giving her a lot of ##### bout doing a Soca song with Alison so i give her some credit she not out for self.

Credits

Yuh do have a point...record labels do tell you what you can do, what you can say, sing, etc! But see she......*steups*

Credits

really? i didn't know they were giving her a tough time...where did you see/hear/read this? if that's the case, big-up to her for sticking to it...

Credits

Both Alison Hinds & Foxy Brown were on the radio live w/ Daveed Levy a few days before Labor Day (Thursday I think) and Foxy mentioned that the record label was fignting her down, but she went for it anyway.

I suppose one should give credit where it is due, for that she gets props, on the other hand... look, better I hush my mouth on this topic!

Blessings!!!

18425 NW 2 Ave #335 Miami Gardens, Fl 33169
    Credits

FOXY BROWN/ALISON HINDS at OPA LOCKA Oct6

Special thanks to WEDR 99JAMZ & CDC Promotions for facilitating their appearance
    http://folksites.com/miamicarnival

(305)653-1877 Miami Carnival HOTLINE

Credits

re: Wild Fyre's Post

Credits

[font size="1" color="#FF0000"]LAST EDITED ON Sep-10-01 AT 10:33 PM (EST)[/font][p]Just out of curiosity have you heard foxy's latest album or her first album?? I would say they are both well produced and thought out albums! I didn't think much of China Doll I will give you that... but BK Anthem, Oh Yeah, Tables will Turn, Bun Dem, The Letter, So Hot are all banging tunes off of her new album... look @ the cameo's she did back in the day... her 2 minute verse in affirmative action on nas' second album was sick! tore up everyone else on that track if you ask me... this girl has skills musically... there is no doubt about that...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast