Thread: Foreign firm wants to buy out Carnival.......What u think.??????

Foreign firm wants to buy out Carnival.......What u think.??????

I saw this online. What de massive think. Is it going to bring $$ in de country or is it just exploitation. I think we should use this as a wake up call an work harder to promote we culture...

....de man with de pepa sauce is boss......

Foreign firm wants to buy out Carnival
    By TERRY JOSEPH (T'dad Express)

DISCUSSIONS held last week between a Pan Trinbago delegation and an event management firm in London, England has turned up an unexpected result.

Time Management Global, the firm that handles the fortunes of local cricket superstar Brian Lara, has made a bid to purchase exclusive rights to the entire product that is Trinidad Carnival.

Speaking yesterday to the Sunday Express from his New York hotel room, Pan Trinbago president Patrick Arnold was reluctant to detail the bid price, but said Simon Kennedy, managing director of Time Management Global, has expressed interest in purchasing all rights to T&T Carnival.

“He has experienced Carnival here and says he sees a bright future for the festival and wants to buy the rights to package it for sale globally,” said Arnold, who is heading a team that includes Pan Trinbago executive members Richard Forteau and Selwyn “Parry” Paul.

The team last week held meetings in London with pan interests and investors.

Similar meetings scheduled for Paris and Germany have been postponed to later this month, when those officials will be in Trinidad for the Under-17 Football World Cup.

Kennedy is one of several international contacts set up by Fifa vice-president Austin “Jack” Warner, who introduced the pan executives to senior level football officials in the global football network.

Currently in New York, the delegation will later this week travel to Washington, DC and then Chicago and visit a number of universities to discuss pan research and development, before returning home on September 23.

“We had an extremely successful meeting with Kennedy,” Arnold said. “Time Management Global does not confine itself to football. They are involved in all forms of entertainment.

“Kennedy said he saw a bright future for Carnival and explained how the arrangement will work. He will also be in Trinidad later this month, when we hope to pin down a deal for at least the pan component of Carnival 2002.”

Arnold said Time Management Global is interested in taking up the whole package and they have undertaken to identify sponsors and negotiate with them.

“Kennedy says he has every confidence that Trinidad Carnival will sell well if it is properly handled.

“He was interested in finding out about any possible hurdles confronting such an arrangement and when he comes to Trinidad we will arrange meetings for him to hold discussions with the Tuco (the Trinbago Unified Calypsonians Organisation), the NCC (National Carnival Commission) and the NCBA (National Carnival Bands Association).

“A lot of his response clearly had to do with the impact of last year’s World Steelband Music Festival,” Arnold said.

“We also discussed the expansion of Panorama and the Caribbean edition, which takes place in Grenada in November.”

Credits

RE: Foreign firm wants to buy out Carnival.......What u think.??????

Why not sell it to a foreign market, everybody else is selling their souls for the almighty buck these days. just look at Jamaica. music, tourism, etc. etc.

Credits

My first question is, what rights are the gov't of T&T giving away for a few bucks. What control is the local people going to have. Are we too going to see Puff Daddy on a big truck for the sake of the almighty dollar

The second question is why can the gov't of T&T do the same kind of marketing to sell their carvinal?

I don't like this idea at all. To me is just seems that we can't get from under the evil colonial arms of ENGLAND!!!!

Wha happen no one has nothing to say.. allyuh doh care or what.....

trinbaje.....Nuff respect for giving your thoughts.... and u make good points....

Credits

wouldn' it make more sense to market the carnival from england since they already have a carnival that is a mirror of T&T...but like trinbaje said it is just another way of control if the T&T gov't gives in and if that happens then the whole idea of carnival which signifies independence will be lost

SEXY G.T. QUEEN

Credits

[font size="1" color="#FF0000"]LAST EDITED ON Sep-04-01 AT 01:46 PM (EST)[/font][p][font size="1" color="#FF0000"]LAST EDITED ON Sep-04-01 AT 01:44 PM (EST)[/font]

[font size="1" color="#FF0000"]LAST EDITED ON Sep-04-01 AT 01:41 PM (EST)[/font]

I have an idea... why doesn't the government form a special committee in de Ministry of Toursim, employ some people who are active with de concept of carnival in London, Miami, NY, all the rest of the islands. Develop a marketing strategy to send "delegates" or may be set up a board of Tourism the different cities and market carnival that way.....

What does dis Mr. Kennedy mean that Trinidad Carnival will sell if properly handled? Who is this Mr. Kennedy??? Only second to Brazil... Trinidad Carnival is the largest Carnival in the world!!!!!! WHAT DA HELL IS HE TALKING ABOUT..... The article states that Mr. Kennedy has "experienced" trinidad carnival... what duh hell does that mean.... Jumping up one year wid Peter Minshell does not mean you have experienced Carnival Mr. Kennnedy!!!!!!! GET A LIFE!!!

Why we have to sell-out these ideas, aren't there enough smart talented and wealthy Trinidadians and Trini Yankees to get the same thing off the ground. I live in Miami and see the Tourist Board of the Bahamas and Jamaica always marketing why can't Trinidad do the same and have the Board focus its energy on Carnival.... ???? LET US BEGIN TO SELF SUFFICIENT.... There is to much talent in our communinity (both in Trinidad and Abroad) to sell out our ting...

(SORRY these things does get my blood pressure rising)

Credits

RE: USSA 2001 BrooklynPanorama Champs

Hear is my take on this issue.

First of all I think that to sell the right to promote de Carnival is insane. My reasons are simple. From a business standpoint why sell the right to something when there is no need to. That is like selling the rights to an oil reserve if you do not know how to drill it. What would u do?? use common sense ( even though meh granny always told meh she doh know why dey call it common sense). You would hire some one to teach you how to drill you would hire consultants. If the ministry and the NCC cannot market the ting like they would like they need to get consultants in.

I always say that another man's junk can be ones treasure so beware of people trying to convince u ur ting is junk. So I would use the fact that a foriegn country is interested in our culture as a wake up call for us to do our individual part in promoting and preserving our culture. We as TrinTobagonians have to take interest and responsibility in our culture no matter where we are in the world.

This brings me to another thing. We must value our culture we can not promote our culture only when there is carnival. We cannot blast we soca only in de "season". We can not be part time. We should not let our kids lose their culture. Have you ever thought about the Italian & Irish (I am just using them as an example) no matter how many generations removed from thier mother land they and society consider them as Irish and Italians. They do thier best to promote thier culture There is a St. Patty's day parade everywhere. We must teach our kids to be completely culturally aware. This is a complete thing. From our history to teaching dem to cook. I remember 1 laborday I was heading out to the parkway with meh flag and ting...meh father stopped me and asked me a good question.... He asked me what is de National Anthem. I stopped right in my tracks...and learned it before I went to jump up that day.

This whole tine both Home and in dis America is political. We can not make change without solidarity. Do we own and operate any radio stations in America ....no...do we put pressure on de radio stations to play we ting. do we put pressure on de advertisors ...no.... This ting is all about $$$ and politics what we need to do is operate in real unity and show the world that we can promote we culture and that we are an politcal and purchasing force. Then and only then u will see and hear what u want in dis America AND MORE IMPORTANTLY FORIEGN COUNTRIES WONT FEEL WE ARE SMALL ISLAND PEOPLE THAT THEY CAN COME AN TAKE ADVANTAGE OF by giving us a few $$$ for our culture.....

I am starting to ramble so I am going back to work...