Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By ladyrastafari
  • 1 Post By agroDOLCE

Thread: Food for thought?? what say you...

Credits

Food for thought?? what say you...

“We were discussing homosexuality because of an allusion to it in the book we were reading, and several boys made comments such as, “That’s disgusting.” We got into the debate and eventually a boy admitted that he was terrified/disgusted when he was once sharing a taxi and the other male passenger made a pass at him. The lightbulb went off. “Oh,” I said. “I get it. See, you are afraid, because for the first time in your life you have found yourself a victim of unwanted sexual advances by someone who has the physical ability to use force against you.” The boy nodded and shuddered visibly.“But,” I continued. “As a woman, you learn to live with that from the time you are fourteen, and it never stops. We live with that fear every day of our lives. Every man walking through the parking garage the same time you are is either just a harmless stranger or a potential rapist. Every time.” The girls in the room nodded, agreeing. The boys seemed genuinely shocked. “So think about that the next time you hit on a girl. Maybe, like you in the taxi, she doesn’t actually want you to.”

Homophobia: The fear that another man will treat you like you treat women. Andrew Sullivan.
    Triniminx likes this.
    Never waste your time trying to explain who you are to people who are committed to misunderstanding you.

Velvet Glove. Iron Fist

mi style still sharp .....u a A-Minor and dem a B-Flat

Credits
    Quote Originally Posted by ladyrastafari View Post
    “We were discussing homosexuality because of an allusion to it in the book we were reading, and several boys made comments such as, “That’s disgusting.” We got into the debate and eventually a boy admitted that he was terrified/disgusted when he was once sharing a taxi and the other male passenger made a pass at him. The lightbulb went off. “Oh,” I said. “I get it. See, you are afraid, because for the first time in your life you have found yourself a victim of unwanted sexual advances by someone who has the physical ability to use force against you.” The boy nodded and shuddered visibly.“But,” I continued. “As a woman, you learn to live with that from the time you are fourteen, and it never stops. We live with that fear every day of our lives. Every man walking through the parking garage the same time you are is either just a harmless stranger or a potential rapist. Every time.” The girls in the room nodded, agreeing. The boys seemed genuinely shocked. “So think about that the next time you hit on a girl. Maybe, like you in the taxi, she doesn’t actually want you to.”

Homophobia: The fear that another man will treat you like you treat women. Andrew Sullivan.
    wow. bold statement right there. i'm going to ponder this notion though at initial thought i wouldn't say that such is the case 100% of the time
    massive25 likes this.

Credits
    true

Credits
    Great read and it all makes sense. But why is homophobia never discussed with respect to women?
    I know many women who are absolutely disgusted by homosexuality.

T-MAKAA
    This happens alot? Men go around hitting on random boys/men?

Credits
    great question steupz... but in terms of homophobia.. more women tend to have gay male associates friends than do men, so men may feel stronger about it... plus there is no direct threat to a woman with a homosexual man as a gay man wouldnt make a pass at a woman.. so the context..
    Never waste your time trying to explain who you are to people who are committed to misunderstanding you.

Velvet Glove. Iron Fist

mi style still sharp .....u a A-Minor and dem a B-Flat

Credits
    Quote Originally Posted by Steupz View Post
    Great read and it all makes sense. But why is homophobia never discussed with respect to women?
    I know many women who are absolutely disgusted by homosexuality.

lol...the only woman that would be absolutely disgusted by homosexuality, is the bitter woman who feels that men are her competition and the reason why she cant get a man...lol
    you ALL AGREE with my opinion, which is why NONE of you ever EFFECTIVELY DISPUTE IT

you ONLY have faith in the WOMEN'S ability to ELEVATE which is why you only FOCUS ON WOMEN...you ALL have long given up on Black men

you just don't have the BALLS to OVERTLY AGREE....rather just do it INDIRECTLY

weak men only can deal with weaker women

in the presence of strength you diminish...